“wonderful hotel.”

Ranked #29 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
hertford
“wonderful hotel.”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Had a three night stay at this hotel, and would defiantly go back.
The river rooms are wonderful with a view up and down the river. Great sunsets.
Staff very helpful and friendly.
It was so lovely going up and down on the river, the hotel provides a shuttle river boat. It runs very often which is great. It takes you to the train line, so you can travel anywhere.
The only thing i would point out is if you are coming back to the hotel by taxi a lot of them did not know the hotel or where it was. Take a note of the hotel address in Thai and also the taxi men are usually happy to ring the hotel and get directions.
You are a little way out of the main hub, which i found great.
Swimming pool is the best i have been to.

3 Thank eliza1005
gmchatrium, General Manager at Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok, responded to this review, 3 June 2011
Just a short note to say thank you for all the wonderful comments you have made about us, the Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok. I am glad you were able to enjoy the sunsets as they are quite spectacular and that you find the staff very helpfull and friendly.
I am sorry to read you had difficulty with the taxi drivers but may I recommend the next time you stay with us, to ask our concierge or front desk to provide you with a map which is written in Thai which we have found to be very helpful in providing details of our location.
Once again, many thanks for all the wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Adrian Brown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,152)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Rostrevor, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Currently in Bangkok staying at Chatrium, will be here for another 3 weeks. My employers chose the hotel for me, and I am so glad they did. After a few days here everyone seems to remember your name, and the smiles are such a great addition, so much more than the hackneyed "have a nice day" one tends to hear in western hotels. But what made the remarkable boast of this hotel happened this morning. I had wandered down to the restaurant on my way to the shuttle boat to pick up a copy of the International Herald Tribune. The Front Office manager who happened to be there said that they had all gone. So I went and boarded the boat - just before it left the Chief Concierge came running down the gangplank to hand me - you guessed it my copy of the paper - obviously the Front Office Manger had rung him and it all just happened. As the desk is about 200 meters from the boat, he must have sprinted all the way - certainly a great representative of Le Clef D'Or as a chief concierge, but so typical of the hotel service here, couldn't recommend a better place.

Room Tip: Try for an upgrade to the River view, wow effect
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank RostrevorMichael
gmchatrium, General Manager at Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
Just a short note to say thank you for your wonderful comments on our service and it is nice to read you are enjoying your stay with us. In our up and coming general staff meeting I will make sure our Chief Concierge K Narot receives the recognition for the outstanding service you have described. Once again thank you for the wonderful comments and I trust your stay with us continues to be most enjoyable.

Grindelwald, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We stayed 2 nights at the beginning of our holidays. We upgraded from a city view suite to a river view suite, which is a must for only €10.00 per night. You can't compare it to other 5* hotels, but for such little money I wouldn't except more. The suite was clean and spacious with a little integrated kitchenette, large balcony offering an amazing view especially at night time. The breakfast buffet had a good choice of european and thai breakfast items, so something for everyone. Service was excellent.

Although the location is a bit out of the way we quite liked the fact to get away from the bustling city after a day out. The shuttle is really convenient and taxies are cheap to get around. Around 5 minutes away from the hotel is a little thai market where all the locals meet and dance to live music, it is really worth to check it out and see the real life.

I definately would stay there again.

3 Thank Anja1983
Thank you very much for the positive comments you have listed. I am glad to read that you found the upgrade to a river view was well worth the small amount of money paid, that our breakfast offers a wide variety and our level of service has met your expectations. While some may see the hotel's location as being somewhat away from the main shopping and nightlife hub of Bangkok, but as you have highlighted, one can enjoy the best of both worlds in that while the shopping and nightlife hub is only a short shuttle boat and BTS ride away, the historical and cultural hub of Bangkok is at the hotel's doorstep.
Once again, may thanks for all your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 May 2011

The ratings speak for themselves. However, I must point out that the accessibility of this hotel is not that good, compensated by the riverview and if I may say, cleaner air at the balcony.

I also like the kichenette that came with all the rooms that we used. Awesome for families.

However, main complaint is the access card. It simply does not work reliably and need major improvement. Otherwise, I enjoyed the facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for riverview. It makes a lot of difference.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank wcw47800
Thank you for your most valuable comments. It was nice to read that although you found our location not to be most favourable, you highlighted a positive in that the air is cleaner here on the river. I am sorry to hear your access card was not reliable and again, I thank you for for your comments as it has given us an opportunity to review the condition of both the cards and the card readers. It is also nice to see that overall , you have enjoyed our service and facilities and on that note, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kent, WA
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We actually really liked this hotel. The front desk staff were very helpful, especially the Concierge. The room itself was great. Very spacious, comfortable bed, and a great view. However, I do have a couple minor complaints/comments that didn't necessarily ruin our stay or anything:

1) Being responsible for quality inspections on several condominiums and other construction projects, I immediately noticed the deteriorating grout/caulking under the bathtub valves (see picture). Also, the caulking around the drop-in bathtub was the largest caulk joint I have ever seen (see picture). This isn't within tolerance and I can only imagine that the caulk joint will fail in the very near future, which will lead to water damage and further deterioration within the bathtub area. Not something you would expect from a 4-5 star hotel.

2) Our safe didn't work when we first arrived. The staff was EXTREMELY quick to respond, but it was a bit of a nuissance. I wanted to be able to lock our wallets and laptop away while we were gone (I loved that the safe was large enough to fit a laptop). The first person to respond told us it needed a new battery, so she told us that she would get a technician up right away, but that we could leave if we wanted and they would take care of it while we were gone. Being our first night in Bangkok and not feeling safe quite yet, we kept busy in the room and waited for the safe to be fixed so we could lock our valuables away. The technician came within 30 mins or so, and tried to change the battery, but to no avail. He ended up removing the safe and bringing us a new one. Very helpful, just not something you want to have to deal with when you first arrive.

3) My wife tried taking a shower one night, but there was no hot water. We called the front desk and it must've taken them 2 hours to finally come up to the room. He explained that you have to turn the knob in for hot water and out for cold... which we already knew. There just wasn't any hot water at the time. Not sure if the hot water had run out for that floor or those stack of rooms at the time, but it was not pleasant. Not something you would expect from a 4-5 star hotel.

4) The bathroom mirror is only for people who are under 6'-0" tall. I'm 6'-5", and in order to see myself in the mirror, I would have to squat, or bend over. Just a nuissance (see picture).

Other than that, the location was good. It was a little away from things, and there weren't too many restaurants nearby, but there were a couple on the ground floor, including a 7-11.

The breakfast buffet was AMAZING. That probably made our stay. Almost anything you could ask for... toast, muffins, pastries, juices, fresh fruit, cereal, pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausage, omelettes, cheese, crackers, sushi, various other Asian dishes.

There's a free water taxi shuttle that takes you to and from the nearest water taxi pier where you can catch an express water taxi to take you around the river for 14 baht.

Great hotel, just a couple minor things that kept it from a perfect stay.

2 Thank jshsoccer83
First and foremost, I am very sorry to read that your first impression of the hotel was spoilt due to the in-room safety deposit box was not checked prior to your arrival and then followed by the lack of hot water in bathroom but also the innapropriate duty of care by not responding and rectifying this on a timely basis. This certainly demonstrates that we have not followed our basic standards and for this, please accept my most sincere apologies. I also very much appreciate your knowledgable feedback on our caulking standards and be assured this will be followed up by our chief engineer and his team.
Under such circumstances one finds it very rare that a guest would also include positives about their stay so for the wonderful comments you have made about our Concierge, location, the room itself with great views, our shuttle boat service and the amazing buffet , I must thank you.
Trusting that the problems you experienced has not marred your overall impression of the Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 May 2011

The hotel was absolutely phenomenal in every way. From the second we arrived until we left, the service was stellar, the hotel was gorgeous and clean, food was great and we had a great time. My wife thought the location was a bit out of the way, but I found it to be nice being away from the main hoopla. I would definitely stay there again and would suggest the hotel to any family or friend looking to stay in Bangkok.

3 Thank RyanH127
gmchatrium, General Manager at Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok, responded to this review, 27 May 2011
Just a quick note to say thank you very much for the wonderful comments and we are glad to hear you have enjoyed staying with us. looking forward to welcoming you and your wife back in the not too dostant future.

Best regards

New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I don't understand how this hotel receives so many outstanding reviews. The overall quality of the hotel is average and the value is poor compared to other hotels in Bangkok.

This hotel is certainly not luxurious and there is nothing to distinguish its design from other average hotels. I would compare it to a Holiday Inn or an older Novotel. The location and the quality of the rooms are the biggest drawbacks. You have to take a taxi everywhere and in Bangkok's traffic it can use up a lot valuable time and money.

The Good:
1. Rooms are big and the bathroom is modern.

2. Buffet Breakfast is quite good and service is also good at the restaurant.

The Bad.
1. Location is by the river, a bit secluded with not much around the hotel. It is away from the shopping, restaurants and nightlife of Bangkok.

2. Internet is not free and you have to pay for use. Also, after paying it would still not work on my ipad.

3. The bed was uncomfortable, just two twins pushed together and the sheets

4. Room cleanliness was not great. The room had a strong chemical smell. I would not walk around the room without my shoes or slippers on.

Overall, I would not stay here again. Better value available elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river if you can.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank modernn
I am sorry to hear you have found the Chatrium Hotel Riversides overall quality to be average compared to other hotels in Bangkok and for this please accept my most sincere apologies.
I was quite surprised to read you had taken a taxi everywhere instead of using oue shuttle boat service to the BTS system which is perhaps considered the most effective way to travel around Bangkok ,especially those who are looking to spend time shopping and enjoying the nightlife where by shuttle boat and the BTS they are aproximately a 15 minute journey away. I am also sorry to hear you found our beds to be uncomfortable even with our matress toppers which usually give that extra level of comfort. Understanding that the have received several comments about our internet connectivity and charges, we have now included complimentary internet in many of our rates now. I am also concerned you found our room cleanliness was not great and that you had a strong chemical smell in your room. This issue will certainly be addressed by our executive housekeeper as it could well be that our room attendants are not using the correct amount of chemicals when cleaning the room or that in fact you may have been placed in one of our newly refreshed rooms. I say this as it is a policy of ours to close every floor at least once a year to refresh each room which includes a complete re-paint of all walls, ceilings and furnishings.
I am again sorry to read that you have found the Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok to of average quality and that you would not stay here again. Wishing for another opportunity to restore your faith in us, may i invite you to contact me prior to your next visit to Bangkok.