“Excellent!”

Ranked #28 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

In October 2013 me and my girlfriend stayed at the Chatrium for two nights. We have been before, three years ago, and wanted to repeat this pleasant experience.

This time was even better than the last time. Service was impeccable. It was my girlfriend's birthday during our stay. It was a pleasant surprise that we received an upgrade to the 30th floor riverside. Furthermore, we received a complimentary birthday cake.

The view is magnificent. You can gaze at the boats traveling on the river from your bed as a wake up routine. The pool is also very nice with a view of the river. A shuttle boat is available to bring you to the nearest skytrain and other boat connections.

In summary, a highly recommendable pleasant experience. The only thing we did not like, was to leave this place and Thailand!

Room Tip: Riverside is the best side!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

gmchatrium, General Manager at Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
It is lovely to know that your most recent experience was even better than when you last stayed with us and I am sorry to hear that you were sorry for having to leave.
Looking forward to welcoming you bak very soon.

Adrian Brown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,148)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 December 2013

High quality service and beautiful hotel in a very convenient location at the Chao Phraya River. Very frequent and free shuttle boat service to Sathon Pier/Saphan Taksin BTS Station, only five minutes away, where you can take the tourist and/or public boats and the Skytrain.
We found a very good deal through their website and chose a Grand Room River View for three. I highly recommend it !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for the recognition of our service levels and I am glad to hear you have found the various deals we offer through our website to be of good value. I am also glad to hear you found our location to be very convenient as for some guests, this is not always the case.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I booked a 2 bdrm executive suite at this hotel to top off our 5D4N stay in Thailand. The intention was to pamper my family of 4 with panoramic views, a unique riverside experience, 5-star rooms and service and a fuss-free, relaxing last day. My experience was satisfactory but not thoroughly met and I will explain why.

Chatrium is located beside the river, and the long, major road that leads to it was often very congested in most of the times we traveled by taxi. Although the main road is a short distance out and there aren't taxis waiting right at the door, they will get one easily for you within minutes. There is no highway nearby, meaning you have to take the city roads to and fro if you're getting around the city. Time wise, this can be stressful if you're rushing for your flight etc as traffic situation can be severe starting all the way from the city area, much less around the hotel. The river taxi however is by the pier, usually runs in 30 min intervals to Sathorn pier, allowing guest to reach Taksin BTS very quickly, no jams, queues and you even get to enjoy observing traffic, settlements and other landmarks along the way that is not possible via land. The river taxi option is also very useful if you're interested in sightseeing at the temples as you can simply transfer at that same pier. There are many other shuttle options and walkable BTS that we read about but did not try.

We were greeted warmly as we alighted from our car from Hua Hin and our bags were quickly taken care off by the staff. Check in was easy, the staff presented himself well and gave us a room on the 25th floor after we decided to top-up 400 baht for river views. There was no welcome drink however. A staff showed us our room gave us a quick show-around. Check in was completed in the room as she filled in our passport details at the table.

The floor area was huge. I think I could have cartwheeled around easily. There is a kitchen area, a master with city views and slight river view as well as a second bedroom facing out to the river. Our room views were unblocked as we were right at the extreme corner away from the condominium. There is also a balcony with good area for a couple of people to walk around or chill. I was impressed with the rooms. The bed was comfortable and I think the high windows, choice of colors and curtains gave it a warm charm. Plugs were international. The bathroom was stocked well with amenities, and not lacking. However I felt they could have added a personal touch to the way things were presented. It felt more like a long-stay hotel residence without that "Thai charm". Our toilet paper handle was broken and some parts of the wooden board have chipped off. There were signs of quickly dating interiors that needed some maintenance. The living room was alright, but I felt the large empty space between it and the kitchen could have been more well thought out. It felt like I simply paid more for a suite to add an empty area, which should not be the case staying at other hotels. My mum told me the kitchen had some signs of dating or lacking in cleanliness as well. Water was in glass bottles which were a little troublesome transferring out before heading off into the city. Noise was a non-issue despite its size and lively location by the river.

We did not use the pool situated on one of the lower floors but it looked lovely. We had breakfast with the hotel and sat in the spacious outdoors. Despite this, there was no issue with boat noise or privacy away from tourists as the pier is situated away and no major tourist boats dock. This was not the case at some other international chains down the river where the huge and noisy tourist boats could pick up passengers and I'm sure the guests sitting by the river would not have enjoyed a boat-load of people peeking in right in front of them or the loud motor noise. There was a large range of food and very decent to taste as well. We enjoyed chatting with Adrian as he walked around and asked us about our meal (though we got a little carried away), which being Asian, some Caucasian managers tend to shy away from. He took the initiative to move us out of the sun even though we were prepared to just hang in there for a while longer. We had a great start to the day!

All it all, we found it a great hotel it you are looking to relax, enjoy the riverside experience to the maximum, the awesome views and want a hotel that caters for a variety of things like an international chain does. Hotel grounds are spacious and guests do not feel that their privacy is being invaded despite its size. Transport by river is good (and preferred) and I will rather book individual rooms than use a suite next time as the space is not necessary. If you're not into details, simply on a holiday taking your time to go about etc and are in more for the unique, intimate experience with basics being taken care of, this hotel is sufficient and will be the perfect answer to your needs. I would have scored lower based on room stay alone but the entire package makes up for it, which is why I emphasize evaluating your purpose of stay before you book or else you could be slightly disappointed.

Room Tip: Some rooms have unblocked river views, ask for those if possible as they are worth the small top up...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank krayfi
gmchatrium, General Manager at Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
It is very nice to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and may I concur with you that before deciding to stay with us one must evaluate the purpose of ones stay first. Although we may only be no more than 20 minutes away from the main shopping hub of Bangkok via our shuttle boat and sky train, staying along the river is certainly not for everyone.
Picking up on your comment about no highway nearby, may I just clarify this by advising access to the network of the elevated expressway system is literally a 3 minute drive away down Chan road.
May I also make comment on our glassed bottled water as it has been an initiative we implemented two years ago which was one of the first actions taken as part of our philosophy of think first think earth. With respect, we understand the inconvenience of glass bottles and taking them out during ones travels around Bangkok, but we found that we were contributing over 1,000 empty plastic bottles per day to Bangkok's garbage collection. Again, this is part of our initiative to reduce our carbon footprint which leads me to mention that in the new year, all our room amenities including the shower caps, soaps, shampoos, shavers etc will be completely bio degradable. Dare I say, a first here in Bangkok as the problem in the past was always the bio degradable shaver quality but by using a corn starch, we have managed to overcome this.
looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

general Manager
Holte, Denmark
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We had a perfect stay at the Chatrium Riverside Hotel. The staff was very helpfull and the breakfast buffet was great. We had a room with an wonderfull view to the river. We would for sure stay her again when we are in Bangkok.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank eva_ording
It is certainly lovely to know that you have enjoyed your stay so much that you plan to return the next time you are visiting Bangkok. So please, when you have your travel dates arranged, do drop me a note to adrian.bro@chatrium.com.
many thanks also for the lovely comments you made about our breakfast buffet and about our staff being very helpful.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Florence, Italy
Reviewed 11 December 2013

wonderful hotel with all conforts and all was perfect, amazing and romantic river view. I didnt take breackfast so i cannot comment it. Nice and romantic international dinner just in front the river. I advice it sure (and i have been in many other 5 stars hotels in Bkk in my past)

Room Tip: river view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Just a quick note to say thank you for your wonderful comments and glad to hear you have had a wonderful romantic stay with us.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We booked this for a final chill before returning to the UK after a 2 week tour of Thailand. We had paid extra for a riverside view but were upgraded at no charge to a suite with river views on floor 7. Obviously this has coloured our impression but we were made to feel so welcome. The views from the bedroom, the lounge, the balcony across and down the river were fantastic. (On the morning of departure I awoke at 3am and just stood staring at the view.) On floor 6 there's a large pool which overlooks the river and has a poolside bar which also provides food. There is also a free ferry which takes you upriver 1/2 mile to the bridge where you can pick up the skytrain. We ate in the hotel restaurant and while you're paying hotel prices they are not exorbitant ie you can have a main course for 150 baht, Access to the city attractions is easy. The night time views of the river and city will stay with me for a long time. It was the perfect end to our holiday. We had paid in advance for breakfast before realising that we'd have to leave at 6 for the airport. No problem - breakfast came to the room for 5.30 on the dot. We stayed in 7 hotels during our trip to Thailand. This was the best. Treat yourself.

Room Tip: It's worth paying a little extra for a riverside view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Its lovely to know that you have managed to chill out with us during your final days here in Thailand and especially after what must have been a very busy schedule doing all the sights of Thailand and staying in 7 other hotels during your trip. I am also glad to hear some of our touches such as arranging your breakfast at 5.30 am on the day of your departure was also appreciated as it then makes our decision to add such flexibility in our service to be the correct one.

Shoreline, Washington
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My friend got a great deal on a room for us here, and then we got upgraded to a beautiful river view suite...sunset, fireworks, city scape. bottom line is this is very nice hotel with an awesome breakfast, and a couple of the friendliest and most helpful staff I have yet to come across. Big thanks to "K"!

Room Tip: go big and get up in the riverside tower for some great views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

May I start by thanking you for recognising Khun K as he certainly deserves it. You would certainly go a long way to find another manager as dedicated as he and who goes so much out of his way to ensure his guests are comfortable. I am also sure that our Exec Chef Andrew like myself appreciate your awesome comment about his breakfast and many thanks for recognising the difference in our service in being friendly and helpful.