“Great staff. Great food. Magnificent view.”

Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok
Ranked #30 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 3 April 2014

******Seniors book it online direct. The deal for seniors is excellent.*** We didn't but definitely would next time. I did try to upgrade to it via email but that didn't work.

Well we left the Chatrium on 1/4/14. We miss the place. We had a river view suite on the 25th floor. The view was as good as in the advertising photos. Our bedroom also had a view of the river and we left the curtains open all night. If we woke we just looked out over the river and surroundings without getting out of bed. ****No matter what the river view is worth it.*** We ate in the restaurants on three nights. On one night we had the buffet and loved it. About $80 Aus for two.Try the bbq river prawns. In Australia they are called cherubim they are the best. Food was excellent. We had planned on doing a river cruise meal but thought where we were sitting was better.
The staff were friendly and gave good advice. They advised on how to get to the Grand Palace by local ferry and that was fun. The shuttle from the hotel gets you to the central pier where you can catch ferries to a lot of attractions. You can also catch the sky train. Covers a lot of attractions without the traffic. Don't miss the Grand Palace.

Room Tip: As I said above. Get a river view room. You will always remember it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DavidRowe
Write a ReviewReviews (8,538)

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I have nothing but good things to say about this great hotel. The service that I received was excellent throughout my 5 night stay. I would have liked to have named staff that provided me with excellent customer service but there are too many, they're all good! I have worked in the customer service industry for 40 years and have been lucky to have stayed in many great hotels throughout the world, in my opinion this hotel is among the best. The location by the river is quiet by Bangkok standards, the hotel shuttle boat makes it very easy to travel all around the city as it connects with the Skytrain system, taxis are also available and cheap. The rooms are large and well equipped, but the best thing about them is the river views from the balcony. The pool is large, again with great views of the river, it does get busy by the pool but I never had a problem finding a lounger. The breakfast buffet had everything you would expect and maybe more. I swore that I would never eat a hotel buffet again after a few bland experiences elsewhere, this is different and really good, it's worth the money just for the BBQ prawns, they're massive! They also cook phad Thai etc to order as well as a very good spicy papaya salad. What could be better, all washed down with the very reasonable drinks package. This hotel is very well run by the manager, all the staff I came across were charming, friendly and appeared to enjoy working there. Would I go back.....without a shadow of doubt.....the sooner, the better!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at the Chatrium for 3 nights which was broken while we toured Thailand. The check in was great and our rooms were ready even though we landed early morning. The rooms are huge with kitchen separate to a bedroom and living room area. We stayed in the grand rooms, so not sure what the other rooms would be like. Its a lovely setting as we had river view rooms. The city side is ok but not as great as the river view. Its not exactly in an area to walk around but the hotel has a river boat to connect you to all the sites. Buy a 1 day all inc river boat ticket for 150 Baht but be aware that it runs out a 4.30pm. the boats take you to all the major places to se in Bangkok. We loved it. The food was really good. The setting is most relaxing. I would recommend it.

Room Tip: River view every time
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank scubapeteEssex
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I would have given 4 1/2 stars but as there is no rating at this level, I gave it 5 as it was closer to 5 than 4 IMO.

The hotel is extremely busy but very well run. The staff are polite and welcoming. We booked the hotel transfer from the airport and although we arrived before check in time, the room was ready. We had a suite on the 22nd floor with a riverside view and it was extremely comfortable and the view was amazing. Breakfast was not included in our package, but there is a 7-11 next door and we were able to get what we needed for breakfast there. It was really nice to sit on our balcony eating our breakfast and we also had a glass of wine on the balcony when we returned from our nights out.

It is about a 15 minute walk to Asiatique which is well worth a visit for the wide variety of food, from street stalls to expensive restaurants and also the shopping. There is a regular shuttle service to and from the Skytrain station which runs until midnight so you can go further afield also.

Yes the pool is small given the size of the hotel, but we did not go to Bangkok to sit by the pool.

A couple of things which would make the Chatrium perfect:

The rooms are clean but could do with a deep clean every now and then and a little refurbishment.

The kitchen areas could do with a few plates, dishes, wine glasses, cutlery. We asked for wine glasses and after a little confusion, they were provided.

We will definitely stay at the Chatrium Riverside again.

Room Tip: It is well worth paying the extra for riverside rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ZoJo
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We had a river-view-grand deluxe room at 33.floor. It was grandious.
We like this location at the riverfront, fine is to have breakfast or BBQ at the terace outdoor.
The free shuttleboat an oneday-Ticket for BTS were good complimetaries for the stay.
The silver-waves-restaurant has delicious cuisine. The stay was for us a lucky surprise.
Staff was very friendly!

Room Tip: river view at higher floors
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Currently staying here and after staying in hotels on previous visits to Bangkok would recommend not to stay here.
After a taxi, ferry, taxi, flight and taxi, by the time we got to the hotel we were looking forward to being able to relax! Unfortunately when we got there is became quite clear that the hotel wouldn't make it at all relaxing for us.
When our taxi pulled in the doorman did not open the taxi door, not did he help us get our luggage from the taxi, nor offered to take it into the hotel.
In fact we had to carry our own bags all the way to our room.
Speaking of rooms we were offered a twin room to begin with.... As a couple we of course explained that a twin room isn't what we had booked and we needed a double, they switched our rooms without a fuss but was unsure as to why they thought it was acceptable to put us in a twin room.
Rooms themselves are ok. Very modern, though don't expect the maid to do more than make the bed and change the towels. They literally hadn't cleaned, just done the absolute minimum.
Being at the end of our holiday my conditioner is running somewhat low so assumed that our hotel would provide some...
Not this hotel, they have a 'shampoo and conditioner in 1' which I'm pretty sure is the same as the 'bath gel' they provide.
The breakfast is ok, though when I ordered poached eggs on the first day they were basically like water, so the second day I asked them to be left in longer which as a simple request I would expect not to be an issue, but apparently not. 22 minutes and 6 staff later I finally received my poached eggs.
Overall a basic hotel, nice pool but overpriced on drinks around the pool.
Of course you know prices are going to be higher in hotel bars but there's a difference between marked up and then just taking the Micky. 20 baht in the shop singha, 180 baht from the hotel.
I would say if you're looking for a 5 star this isn't the place to stay. It is more around a 3 star.

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank xxZxx1
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

The location is perfect, just next to Asiatique, where you find good restaurants, bars, street food.

It's abt 30 mins from the airport. Just ask the front desk to book a taxi wherever you want to go.

It's along the river, so the view is perfect if you're facing the river. And on Saturdays you just relax on the couch in the balcony and watch the fireworks played by the boat along the river.

I have recommended this hotel to all my friends& colleagues. Will definitely stay there when I go to Bangkok next time.

• Stayed: September 2013