“An A* hotel”

Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok
Ranked #26 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We visited the hotel twice during our stay in Thailand, for 1 night at the start of the holiday and then for our final 2 nights.

The hotel was outstanding in every respect. The staff were welcoming, polite and friendly. Any requests were dealt with promptly (eg extra bottles of drinking water, a room on a top floor).

The breakfast menu was comprehensive and all well presented. We had the buffet dinner on two evenings and the quality of the food and choice was excellent. The staff were attentive and eager to please.

The hotel's private boat service running to the central pier was most useful, enabling us to connect with the Sky Train which was the best mode of travel as it avoided the congestion on the roads in the city.

I would definitely recommend the Chatrium. It's a top class hotel in a good location and reasonably priced with lovely staff.

Room Tip: Corner suites on the higher floors have amazing views over the river and city. If you request this t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pjholmes55

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel made even better by the attentive staff. We arrived after a long day travelling and a long taxi ride from the Airport to be greeted by Pitchaya. She was extremely professional and helpful. We wanted to eat in an authentic Thai restaurant she recommended the Baan Klang Num and arranged a taxi to take us there a great personal touch thank you. The hotel is a little outside the centre (but that's not a bad thing) free water taxi to the central pier then you can go anywhere on a water taxi day pass for 150 baht well worth the money. Take a trip to Asiatique mall very nice and cheap

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AllenBellamy
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I first heard about this hotel from a fellow traveler over breakfast in Laos. I decided to forgo an already paid for bed in a shared hostel room to stay a night on my way to Indonesia. I enjoyed my stay so much that I decided to book another night on my way back through. I don't usually spend so much for room as a solo traveler but having been to Bangkok in the past I really just wanted to hang by the pool so I figured since I planned spend the day at the hotel, I may as well splurge. The pool is great, by the way. It's right next to the river so you get the best of both worlds. The food served poolside was descent and of course it's always nice to receive a mojito while chilling under an umbrella. The only complaint I have which was unavoidable for the hotel is the construction going on next door. What this is going to mean for their views I don't know. But it's going to be a tall one so I imagine they'll be dealing with the noise for the next year or two. Nevertheless, everyone was very attentive and reception was especially friendly. The staff, and the suite I stayed in, really made me feel like I was at a 5 star luxury hotel. I watched sunset while sipping wine, seated on my terrace over the river with an incredible view of the river/city. The hotel is well placed for touring around and there's a water taxi available from the their dock. A taxi to either airport will cost you, depending on time of day, anywhere between 300-500 baht including tolls. They probably offer their own service but I think it's more expensive. The breakfast buffet, albeit pricey compared to what you can find on the street, is quite the spread. And you have an array of choices available; American, European, and Asian breakfast options. They serve bacon, need I say more?

Room Tip: Definitely choose a riverside view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Undaunted_Courage
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the chatrium the first three nights of our Thailand trip and we had a wonderful stay at the chatrium. Beautifully decorated, clean, great services and facilities, especially loved the pool in Bangkoks heat. Great views from our riverside room. Great food at the restaurant although drinks and the buffet were a bit too pricey for our experience in Thailand. Walking distance to Asiatique which I would highly recommend for a night out. Much better than kosan road in my opinion. Only other complaint would be they make you pay for using the Internet cafe which is unfortunate because for what you pay to stay there you would think it would be complimentary. Get a massage at the spa it was a bit pricey but well worth it. Overall would definitely recommend this place for your stay in Bangkok as my impression of bangkok was where you stay could make or break your vacation there.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Livesimply14
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We thought we would spoil ourselves for our 34th wedding anniversary and stayed at the Chatrium after returning from Laos. Oriental Escape picked us up from the airport and drove us to the hotel. Short wait at reception then we were taken to our room. Stunning views of the river life. The room was very spacious so was the bathroom. Kettle toiletries suppied. You need your securitykey to work the lifts to your floor. We had sundowners outside watching all the boats and bargers go by. Very beautiful outlook. We stayed in the same area for dinner which was very nice (but pricey). They had a band playing and a lady singer who was extremely good..Breakfast the next morning we sat outside again. Lots of food at buffet and the egg station although busy made delicious scrambled eggs. We were picked up by Oriental Escape and driven back to HuaHin.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Worth going for riverside view and high up if you can.
150 Baht each for a day ticket on the tourist boat, with as many stops as required to see most of the sights worth seeing along the river.
A tip we got was if we thought the 9000 Baht for a trip to the bridge on the river Kwai by a private company was too much we could organise our own taxi to the bridge, the cemetery and the bridge are free. And purchase an elephant ride for 600 baht per person, came to 4200 Baht. Please bear in mind that it is a 2.5. To 3 hour taxi ride.
The hotel was on the ball, and the security are right out their when you return with a taxi to make sure things are O.K.
Can't fault this hotel 5 out of 5 from me.

Room Tip: Any with balcony looking sea wards
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter W
Reviewed 3 April 2014

******Seniors book it online direct. The deal for seniors is excellent.*** We didn't but definitely would next time. I did try to upgrade to it via email but that didn't work.

Well we left the Chatrium on 1/4/14. We miss the place. We had a river view suite on the 25th floor. The view was as good as in the advertising photos. Our bedroom also had a view of the river and we left the curtains open all night. If we woke we just looked out over the river and surroundings without getting out of bed. ****No matter what the river view is worth it.*** We ate in the restaurants on three nights. On one night we had the buffet and loved it. About $80 Aus for two.Try the bbq river prawns. In Australia they are called cherubim they are the best. Food was excellent. We had planned on doing a river cruise meal but thought where we were sitting was better.
The staff were friendly and gave good advice. They advised on how to get to the Grand Palace by local ferry and that was fun. The shuttle from the hotel gets you to the central pier where you can catch ferries to a lot of attractions. You can also catch the sky train. Covers a lot of attractions without the traffic. Don't miss the Grand Palace.

Room Tip: As I said above. Get a river view room. You will always remember it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank DavidRowe