“Hectic tourist hotel, big rooms but lacking personality”

Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok
Ranked #26 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I didn’t originally book this hotel but another one (Kempinski) closer to centre but changed it a few weeks before the trip because of the situation in central BKK at that time. Chatrium was ok but it is far far from the normal 5* BKK standard. If you are used to staying in Peninsula, Banyan Tree or Shangri La type of hotels, you will probably be disappointed.

Rooms

We stayed 4 nights in 2 bedroom club suite. Rooms are ok. Nothing spectacular (perhaps a bit cold interior) but spacious and clean. Balcony with a riverview was a nice addition. Check in and check out were handled in a professional manner and the lady who checked us in was giving us a lot of information about the hotel and was very professional.

Restaurants

We dined one evening in the hotel with a nice riverview. Food was ok, but again nothing to fuss about. Breakfast was one big disaster. Poor quality and quantity (normal cheese missing most days, no orange marmalade which to my opinion should be quite basic item etc.). The biggest disappointment however was the lack of English from the staff. I asked whether they had porridge for our toddler and no one could understand my request. After that I brought our own but getting a cup of hot water, missing orange marmalade and cheese was also one big hassle. Breakfast is one of the biggest pleasures in a hotel but in this hotel I wanted to get over it as quickly as possible. The breakfast was also very crowded all the time. I really felt like staying in a huge tourist hotel in the Canary Islands (nothing wrong with Canary Islands otherwise) and didn't feel the the riverside bliss, I normally expect from Bangkok.

Location and amenities

I personally like the riverside. However, the boat transfer to the Saphan Thaksin Pier (to catch the skytrain) runs way too seldom especially during middle of the day. Therefore we usually took a taxi and asked them to bring us to the nearby skytrain station. I have never experienced such a problem with other riverside hotels. This hotel is quite close to Asiatique area which we visited one evening (highly recommended).

Swimming pool looks inviting but the water is ice cold plus there are way too few sun loungers for the size of the hotel. Even when we were there early, we couldn’t get any. No poolside service, you have to go and fetch your own towels. There is a 7/11 and children’s very small playarea almost next door. Club was ok. View was nice, “business centre” worked well and the service was efficient.

Would I come back to this hotel. No I wouldn’t. There are far better options in Bangkok even if I have to take slightly smaller room. The hotel felt like a hectic tourist hotel where you have to queue everywhere. I didn’t get the pleasant calm feeling many other hotels have been able to provide. Also it’s lacking many of the 5* star hotel things like pool service, adequate English skills and personality.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed here at the completion of an incredible trip through Vietnam and Cambodia with "Orient Odysseys," a tour company I HIGHLY recommend. While all of our accommodations were excellent, this hotel was just so welcoming and soothing, from the plant arrangements in the lobby to the infinity pool overlooking the river. I didn't want to climb out as I knew once I did it was the end of the trip! Our flight wasn't until midnight, so the desk allowed a few of us to keep one of the rooms for a very reasonable rate. They even have their own river shuttle and the view from the terrace at night is unbelievable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

1. Good views on river and city
2. Good location with free shuttle to Central pier and Metro station, 7-9 on the first floor of Chatrium apartments
3. Nice breakfast and reasonable price for room-service dining

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

this hotel was recommended by our son, and we were not disappointed. the staff were friendly the room was very clean and big. the view was amazing. the breakfast was all you could ask for. the ferry boat was really helpful in getting around. the pool was wonderful. in all a great hotel and would recommend it to anyone. will not hesitate to stay there next time.

Room Tip: rooms are very spacious and bright. pool awsome. food great.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed for 2 nights here at the start of our holiday and then booked another night for when we returned the hotel was that nice. Really nice friendly staff, the rooms are fanstatic and as other reviews have said it worth upgrading to a riverside room as the views are fantastic. Would stay here again when I am in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Book a riverside room
Reviewed 12 April 2014

You go through a slightly narrow crowded street to arrive at this fine hotel. We had booked a river view and were allowed early check in as well as upgraded to a bigger room on the 26th floor. The river view from the room is amazing in the evening. We stayed for 2 nights and were disappointed that we were not able to use their swimming pool or the breakfast buffet because of time constraints. Their free ferry to Taksin Pier is amazing which is a big stop along the Metro service.

It exceeded our expectations. I would stay at the same place if I am back in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Choose river view and high floor if possible.
1  Thank ZUBINZUBIN
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We loved this hotel! The room was spacious, clean, & fully equipped with all the amenities, the view spectacular, and the staff always smiling & helpful. It was easy to get around due to their boat service that ran often & took us to the main dock to get on the tourist boats. The breakfast every morning was better than a Sunday brunch - amazing! I had a massage in the spa they recommended in the condo right down from the hotel and it was incredible - super clean, private, and I walked out of there on clouds! it was more expensive than the street massages but well worth it and a bargain compared to anything in the States.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple