“excellent”

Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok
Ranked #30 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
“excellent”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Was only a few days but it was excellent. Good service and the personal was very polite and very good in handling requests. Lost somethingand it was found in a short time.

Breakfest was very good. We will come again when traveling to bangkok

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,152)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

If you are staying in Bangkok for more than a stopover, you've got to stay on the river to find some peace in the amazing madness of the city. The Chatrium is a great option, particularly if you need a spacious room (say if you have a tweenie that needs an extra bed). The suites are fantastic value, the river views as good as any you'll find (and can be enjoyed from the big balconies), the staff are super friendly and helpful, and the breakfast is the best I've had. I've stayed at most of the riverside BKK hotels, and this is my new favourite. Much cheaper than the Oriental, Peninsula or even the Shangri-La, and offering everything the Sheraton Royal Orchid and Millennium Hilton do, but with rooms twice the size.

Room Tip: One room suites are great value, and the river view is worth the extra.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MASB51
Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We enjoyed our 3 nights at the Chatrium. We upgraded on arrival to a river view suite (extra £10/night), and we weren't disappointed. The view was amazing, the room well appointed. The air con was a blessed relief from the heat and humidity of the city. The Riverside location was fabulous, with the Chatrium's own ferry to and from central pier- great for getting to some of the central temples and grand palace and to the skytrain.
Wide range of foods of high quality for breakfast and dinner. Live music most evenings. Loved the swimming pool and outdoor jacuzzi overlooking the river.
The kind of luxury we wouldn't usually be able to afford.

Room Tip: Higher up the better the view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights at the start of out holiday and were very impressed with the hotel and the service of the staff. The hotel is incredibly clean and the food was amazing.

There is a free boat service to the main pier from the hotel where you can catch a boat up to all the temples and china town etc. The BTS station is also near the main pier. The swimming pool offers a view across Bangkok and you can watch the boats going up and down the river whilst in the pool.
The only thing I would mention with this hotel is the price of drinks we paid £6 for a bottle of Evian water and over £3 for less than a pint of Singha. We discovered on the 2nd day there is a seven eleven shop on the same grounds as the hotel which sold big bottles of Singha for less than a pound and big bottles of water for 20p so you are better off getting essentials from there.
Overall a fantastic stay and we will be coming back here the next time we are in Bangkok.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank hannah_smithuk
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed for 3 nights over my birthday and this was an upgrade in quality compared to the hotels I stayed in most of my trip (one benefit of Bangkok is great hotels are inexpensive). The first night, I had a large, lovely suite but it was city view. The next 2 nights I changed to a river view room (not suite) and was very satisfied. My room looked out over the river and pool, had a nice sunset view, and was quiet, clean and quite large. Both rooms I was in had low-key modernish decor, balconies, separate bathtubs and showers, and a small kitchenette area with microwave, a few dishes and a refrigerator.

The staff was excellent and treated me quite well. The pool was nice but chilly, which was ok since it was so hot outside but the jetted pool (aka hot tub) was cold, which I guess is standard in Thailand. It never got truly chilly in the evenings but I would've enjoyed an actual hot tub at night.

I was there on a Saturday-Tuesday and the hotel was quite busy with outside events - mostly weddings. The lobby was a bit of a zoo. I agree with the reviewer who said the hotel wasn't a calm oasis, although my room certainly felt like one. There was some construction at the property next door but it did not make much noise during my visit.

I used the spa twice for treatments - one was excellent, the other average.

Overall, I would go back. I found the room itself to be a good value but there are a couple of downsides. One, if you plan to eat on-site, you are limited for food and drinks to their few facilities where the cost of drinks was quite high. There is a 7-11 behind the hotel where you can buy some drinks and snacks. The cost of food on property was also fairly high, although the buffets were huge and mostly good quality. Also the riverside location requires extra time when visiting sites since you take the free Chatrium boat, then switch to another water taxi or the subway. It wasn't a huge deal but did mean extra time in transit. And at night you are definitely cabbing it home after midnight. I missed the boat home from Asiatique one night and just walked (~1km).

I chose to relax here and see the riverside sites for 3 days, then moved to another location for the rest of my trip.

Room Tip: Riverside view is worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful holiday in Thailand and spent the first 6 nights at the Chatrium Riverside Hotel in Bangkok. What a fantastic hotel!.. It was our first visit to Thailand and we didn't really know where to start. I looked on the internet at different websites and decided to email 'Escape Worldwide'. I am so glad I did. I couldn't believe the lengthy, informative reply we received the next day suggesting different hotels from 3* to 5* and giving information about the hotels and location of each one. We were actually visiting 3 different areas and suggestions of hotels etc were listed for each location. I was really amazed at the content of the email. We must have been emailing the team for about 5 months with different queries about types of rooms and even booking seats on the plane, and nothing was ever too much trouble. We always had a reply to an email the following day and we also spoke to them on the phone a couple of times. The Chatrium Hotel was really lovely and we had a fantastic panoramic view of the Chao Phraya river from our enormous room on the 19th floor. All the staff were so polite and friendly, you almost felt like Royalty! The food was lovely and plenty to choose from although there wasn't a huge amount of Western food when we tried the evening buffet. Maybe we just weren't adventurous enough. Having the shuttle boat so close, it was easy to get to Central Pier and then you had the choice of the BTS or other boats. All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel and also 'Escape Worldwide' who couldn't do enough for you and nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a river view and that's exactly what we got. We were on the 19th floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Highflyer549
Kent
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed 4 days here and enjoyed the hotel which was modern clean and efficient. Our room was huge and bright with a good river view. Staff were friendly and efficient. The pool is lovely but lots of guests disturbed by loud and disruptive children which should have been dealt with by management. There was occasional construction noise from next door too. Also the process of getting taxis is chaotic and run by security guards who have no grasp of english so drivers often unsure where we were going and also they did not manage the queue system fairly ( locals and men got preference). It is a shame the hotel boat does not go to Asiatique night market as all the other good hotels do. These issues would influence my decision to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014