“Perfect hotel with perfect amenities”

Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok
Ranked #26 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights to start our journey for 4 weeks in thailand, and we must say that we were surprised by the fact that the hotel was so clean and well organized. But there was no problem for us to stay there for leisure with backpacks, as some 5 star hotels seem a little too tidy and close with their customers. In this hotels you find a combination of travellers, which is perfect for all of them! If you require service they will be pleased to serve you, and if you want to have less attention, they perfectly adapt to all situations.

Furthermore, we found the top floor restaurant difficult to rate, as the location "top floor" certainly is amazing, and the food is nicely served. In our opinion the food was very thai and not so much chinese in its taste, with the similar herbs you find everywhere in Thailand and then you find young unexperienced personnel in the restaurants. All together we were satisfied, but wouldn't recommend it at the high prices they charge you. We ate here with 5 persons and spend about 250 euros, this is rediculous for Thailand.

The location is perfect to travel to all the hotspots in the City; Grand Palace, Wat Po, city centre etc etc. The hotel offers great value with the private hotel ferry, the ferry brings you to the nearest skytrain within 5 minutes or to various connections with other ferry's that travel to the best hotspots Bangkok has to offer. Then you find many taxi's in Bangkok but most drivers will give you a headach as you ask them to drive on meter, which is obligatory in Thailand. Give a sign to the hotel staff that you need a taxi and they check the driver and meter before you drive away, what a relief!!!!! But in these 5 days we had serious issues travelling back to the hotel. Taxi drivers didn't know the hotel at all not even by showing the businesscard including a thai translation and map OR even worse they didn't want to travel to the hotel, because it was too far for them and in the rush hour we spend about 1 hour to find 2 taxi's willing to drive us back and then another hour to actually drive back..

All together I think the hotel is great and unique in value for money and I would seriously go back to this hotel straight away and keep in mind some critical knowledge.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Zkh_tim

Reviewed 21 November 2010

Stayed here for the first time as it was top on the list on TripAdvisor. The trip was planned to celebrate my partner's b-day so I had hoped that I had made the right decision by not staying at my usual. Upon first impression, I was a bit worried,
Upon check-in, we were offered an opportunity to upgrade to a river view room. The room was sufficiently large, the best part being the huge balcony with an unobstructed view of the river below (we spent a lot of time on the balcony with our cameras).
Up until the day of my partner's b-day, our experience was just average. What happened next really won me over. Upon returning to our room from a nice dinner at the Peninsula, we found a beautiful birthday cake placed on the kitchen counter waiting for us.
The hotel facilities is above average at best, but the impeccable service and attention to detail is what made the difference between a mediocre stay and a most enjoyable stay. We will definitely be back and recommend to friends.

Reviewed 21 November 2010

I stayed here recently on a trip for work. This hotel has everything going for it and was great value for money. It is stylish, offers 5 star standards, has easy transport to the city by shuttle boat to the nearest sky train station. Breakfast is included and internet access can easily be added for a reasonable fee. I would love to go back.
I was lucky enough to receive a free up grade to a suite overlooking the city. I had a living room, small but usable kitchen, great bathroom complete with glass wall to the bedroom give a view of the city from the bath and bedroom. The flowers in my room were beautiful and welcoming. The breakfast banquet is made better by sitting with a view of the river. A slick pool is available also over looking the river. The city is easy to access by the hotel's free boat which is fun to catch and runs to the sky train stop. I caught a taxi from the hotel to the airport which was very easy and inexpensive. Interaction with staff was minimal but efficient and faultless.The value was incredible. I will definitely come back on my next trip to Bangkok!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank KrasianKlinkusoom
Reviewed 21 November 2010

We are very glad we found this hotel via trip advisor. It was no problem to check-in in 9 am and we had upgraded to a better room! The room was big and comfortable. I love city view from shower! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Boat shuttle to sky train/ferry was very convenient. The property has supermarket and ATM. Unfortunately there was no free wi-fi.

Reviewed 20 November 2010

We stayed here for 5 mights in October and loved just about everything about this place - location, service, ambiance. It has a great location right on Chao Phraya, minutes away from Thaksin pier and BTS station making it a great base for most sightseeing and shopping destinations. The shuttle boat between the hotel and the pier adds to the charm of the place. The suites are spacious and well equipped and the pool overlooking Chao Phraya is simply amazing for relaxation after hectic day of sightseeing. Go for it and I am sure you would come back with great memories of Bangkok. T he only thing I wish they add is free Wifi in the rooms.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2010

This hotel staff has mastered the art of being prepared to satisfy any need one could have before the need has even arisen. From picking us up at the airport late in the evening to returning us to the airport early one morning, this hotel staff knows how to accommodate visitors from 'Western" countries.

The breakfast buffet satisfied the palate of anyone from the US to Japan. The room was cleaned spotlessly every day with turn-down service in the evening.

Transportation options ranged from catching the free water taxi to the subway or having Concierge hail a taxi for us. Concierge made sure the taxi driver knew exactly where to deliver us. Concierge also made sure we had in our possession a note from the hotel written in Thai that we were to show the taxi or tuk-tuk driver explaining where the hotel was located and how to get there. (We did not see one GPS on the dashboard of any taxi during our one-week stay.)

Each room has a sizable balcony. So some nights we ordered room service and enjoyed a private dinner on our 27th floor balcony overlooking the river.

The staff was consistently hospital and spoke better English than we did Thai. "Kob kun kaa" for everything! :-)))

TIP: 7-Eleven is one block, if that, away from the hotel. If you don't want to check any luggage then purchase your liquid toiletries (Shampoo, shower gel, etc) from 7-Eleven. I, being a woman with curly hair, was content using what I found there during the duration of our stay.

1  Thank AprilHoneysuckle
Reviewed 16 November 2010

This is my 2nd trip to Bangkok and my first one was years back. I have to say I didn't know what to expect from Chatrium Suites. I normally look for international brand name hotels such as Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, Four Seasons, Shang, etc. But seeing that none of these were available in Bangkok except for Shang, I was recommended Chatrium by a Thai friend. Like I said, up to my arrival at the hotel, the hotel didn't blow me away with its grand entrance or over the top decorations. But this is where things went really great.

From the moment we got off the cab, service was impeccable, timely, and definitely unobtrusive. Check in was a breeze, very efficient, and the Front Desk guy accompanied us to the room with all the necessary documents such as Credit Card slip, room card, map of Bangkok, etc. Luggage came 3 seconds after and now comes the room. We got a 1 bedroom Suite with riverview, it was very spacious, really felt like we were in our own apartment. It had a real fridge, not a dinky small one you find in hotels. Living room and bedroom had a flatscreen TV in each with the usual international Channels, HBO and all.

There were ample wardrobe space, a huge balcony, and even a mini dining table. Not to mention a kitchen with a sink, so it really had a service apartment feel to it without sacrificing 5-star hotel service. Wi-Fi and breakfast for 2 were also included in the stay. The breakfast was very good, it had many varieties, from the usual American breakfast fare, to Teochew porridge, to Chinese soya milk with fried fritters, and everything was pretty good. Lots of hotels have many selections but the stuff taste average, but here, it was pretty good all around. Service not to mention is very consistently prompt and not in your face yet very competent.

Compared to my stay at a much more glamorous Ritz Carlton in Shanghai, Chatrium was way better. This is exactly my point, a lot of hotels are glitzy and newly opened with much fanfare, but the human resources that serve the guests are total letdowns like the Ritz in Shanghai. Chatrium on the other hand, was more modest in terms of decor but service was really really good. To the point where when I checked out and was asked if I had any comments and complaints, for once, I paused, I had NONE.

If I really had to nitpick, it would be that, for a 1 year old hotel (either 1 year old or 1 year since it last had a major refurbishing or renovation) you could say that the maintenance wasn't as excellent as it could be. The windows in the room and most part of the buildings weren't cleaned to a shine on the outside giving the hotel a bit of an unkempt look. And if you concentrated on corners of the shower stall or corners of elevators or rooms, you could see grimes that make you think the hotel was older.

But really, I was all around impressed. I'm not sure if Chatrium service is extra good or Thai service is good to begin with, but either way I felt very satisfied. I've stayed in many hotels in Asia. China overall is bad, good hardware but crappy service. Hong Kong is efficient but very terse and insincere at times. Singapore is also efficient like Hong Kong, but very bland and robotic. Indonesia service is similar to Thai, full of smiles and politeness, but lacking in intelligence. So there, Asian hotel service in a nutshell (of stereotypes).

Lastly, I have to mention price, for about USD 100 net per night for the 1 bedroom suite with Breakfast for 2 and free Wi-Fi, or even less (like USD 70) if you went for the normal room, this hotel is a huge bargain. To give you an idea, a decent 5-star hotel starts at minimum USD 150++ everywhere in Asia, in fact you can't even get a 4-Star at that price sometimes. So it is truly a bargain.

As for location, Chatrium Suites is not centrally located where you could walk somewhere and shop, but its about 70 Baht Taxi ride from everywhere you wanna' go or you could be adventurous and take the free ferry to the Skytrain, where you go everywhere else for 50 Bahts. So location is more than made up by the choices of transportation.

In a nutshell, would I recommend this? HELL YEAH, service is good, food is good, room is big (70 sqm for the 1 bedroom suite we had, while the normal rooms were 60 sqm), price is cheap, drinking water is included and you can ask for as many as you want, its an all-in deal.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple