“Not so great the second visit”
Review of Sam Sen Sam Place

Sam Sen Sam Place
Ranked #35 of 681 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Penang, Malaysia
“Not so great the second visit”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I've stayed here twice. And I have mixed feelings about this place. The first time in 2012, and it was fantastic so I returned a second time in August 2013 and did not have such a great experience.

Firstly, the rooms are all different sizes and the first visit I was in a small but adequate room, but the second visit I was in a room that was very small and cramped. Too little space, too much furniture and very poor ventilation. I opened the window during the day to get some fresh air into the room as it had a musty smell. It was not enough to eliminate the smell and I was reprimanded for opening the window. After that I could understand why the smell, if the windows are never opened. They did have air conditioning but that only helped to cool the room, not change the air.

The room was also dusty. Although it was awkward I asked the very nice lady at the front desk to have housekeeping dust my room. To their credit, they did, but I don't feel one should have to request their room be dusted.

I love the old Thai house, but the floors creak every time someone walks, and you can hear your neighbours breathing and snoring in the room next to you.

The day I was leaving the owner booked a taxi for me. I decided to save some baht for my next visit and go with the minibus, which picked up other tourists and took over an hour to get to the airport. But I had plenty of time so it wasn't a big deal...until I realised that she had sent me to the wrong airport. I was flying with Air Asia and their terminal was located at the opposite end of the city. This was a very stressful experience! I now had very little time to get across a huge, sprawling city that was getting more congested with traffic as the day went on. I managed to get a taxi and told him to drive as fast as possible while I fretted about missing my flight the whole way there. Fortunately my flight was delayed and I actually had time to spare, but I would have preferred to have skipped that experience altogether.

On the other hand, the location is great and the staff overall is quite helpful and friendly, especially Bobby and the lady who is there in the mornings, I can't remember her name.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I booked online this hotel from a recommendation on my travel guide. It was the best place I stayed during my whole vacation in Thailand, especially when you arrive in Bangkok for the first time and want to feel safe, close to the main attractions but not immersed in the noise of the touristy streets.
I actually decided to stay longer in Bangkok because the city is amazing and the hotel was just like being at home. Staff are friendly and every night there were other young tourists to chit chat with. All facilities are squeaky clean: showers, toilets, rooms, bedlining, kitchen, etc.
I loved the fact that my room had air conditioning for a very decent price - especially when it´s 38° C outside, this kind of comfort is greatly appreciated.
If I go back to Thailand, I would return to this hotel again or recommend it to friends. Nice breakfast is served every day. Khao San Road is a 10 min walk away but the area of the hotel is very quiet. They understand and speak English which is always of great help, not always the case in Thailand.

Room Tip: air conditioning is worth the extra cash
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hector C
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at Sam Sen Sam Place about three years ago and enjoyed it then so having a couple of days left to round off our tour of Thailand we decided to go back. I was totally blown away when we were greeted by the owner who recognised us and made us feel very welcome, showing us to the room we had stayed in on our first stay!
We try to avoid the grand huge hotels in the city, preferring quiet family run guest houses or very small establishments as they have such warm and friendly atmospheres. Sam Sen is a side street off Sam Sen Road and is over 100 years old. It was the family home of a doctor and was also a small primary school. It has remained in the same family ever since. The rooms are bright and airy, well furnished and spotless. There isn't a min-bar, although water is provide daily, but there are drinks available through reception and they are not at all expensive.
There were several set menu choices for breakfast which was ample, with plenty of coffee refills. We chose to sit out in the courtyard where there is a well stocked fish pond.
For an evening meal the nearest restaurant is further along the street on the river bank, a nice open air fish restaurant used mainly by local residents rather than tourists and it was very good. A 20 minute walk will take you to Khao San Road where there are endless eateries and bars and lots of opportunities to shop. There is also a ferry pier there where you can buy a £3 day ticket which allows you travel up and down the river, getting on and off wherever you fancy.
The owner, Mam, and her staff are really helpful and will offer advice or order train tickets and taxis for you.
The only thing I missed was not having tea/coffee facilities in the room but again, it is always available in the reception if you ask.
After a hectic few weeks of travelling Sam Sen is a quiet restfull stop-over before the long haul home so we are certain to stay here again on our next visit. Thank you Mam.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at Sam Sen Sam in March 2013 (I didn't have the option of choosing March 2013 in the scroll down menu, so it says June 2013) I really liked it, the owner was very nice and helpful, the breakfast was good (and you had different menu options which was nice). The rooms were clean, bright and basic (the bathroom could use a redo) and what I really liked mostly about Sam Sen Sam was the location… just a short walk to the river through a quiet, calm residential area, but still very close to the action, and a pleasant 20 - 30 minute walk to the Royal palace :) Safe, clean and good value for the money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Wigan
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We have just returned from thailand and had the last three nights of our stay here at sam sen sam place.
We booked a special president room which was OK nothing special and I wouldn't know what to expect from their standard rooms! the house keeping was poor we didnt get our bed made just the sheet pulled onto the bed and the linen was the same for the three days we stayed here which when it is so hot and rather muggy at night we did think it would have been changed.
The towels are fresh each day but only if you put them on the floor in the bathroom.
None of the toiletries are replaced after your first day which again we though would have been as a little shower gel bottle wont go far between two for three days
Breakfast for us was fine and enough to get you through to evening.
The staff are friendly enough - the only thing that baffled me a little was when we checked out and asked to have their taxi service to the airport we were told to just walk to the main road and flag one down as they couldn't get a taxi to us?!? so we ended up lugging our cases down the road and flagging a taxi. We would not say we wouldn't stay here again but would look for alternative accommodation before booking here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma S
Kantharawichai, Thailand
Reviewed 14 April 2014

A little disappointing, room ok but a little dirty I booked a special president room with american breakfast, I don't think you can class egg on toast as an American breakfast! When we were leaving asked if they could order us a taxi to the Nokon Chai Air bus station they told us to walk to the main road and flag one down! This was quite a distance to move our luggage then have to cross the busy main road..... NOT IMPRESSED! Only saving point was the location was good for our needs. We will probably not go there again.....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Nous sommes restés 3x 4j au sam sen sam en revenant de nos différentes excusions en Thaïlande, Laos et Cambodge, et il faut dire que cette maison traditionnelle tout en tek ainsi que l accueil familial des tenanciers ont un charme fou!
On se sent immédiatement chez soi, et oui il faut payer l équivalent de 1€ pour une heure d internet mais le wifi est extrêmement rapide et gratuit. Et de toute façon l hôtel est tellement bien situé qu il n y a aucune raison de trainer sur internet! Le petit dej avec 5 kits possibles est excellent, il y a de l eau fraiche a dispo dans le frigo de chaque chambre, qui sont propres et bien décorées.

We stayed 3 Times about 4 nights In this friendly hôtel between our différent trips In south east asia. This traditional teak house and its staff looked familiar to us after only a few hours! 5 different kit-breakfasts, terrific wifi speed, clean and well décorated rooms with free fresh water, well what else would one expect for 35€ a night ? Plus the hotel is 2' away from the hectic kaosan road, enough to be at peace but close enough for a few drinks. Perfect stay!

Stayed February 2014