“Staying in a gold fish bowl”

The Heritage Bangkok
Ranked #744 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Brisbane, Australia
“Staying in a gold fish bowl”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Location was all about our reason for choosing The Heritage Bangkok.

Things got off to a rocky start when we were taken to rooms that were supposedly an upgrade.

When we made the booking we were concerned that HotelClub called what could only be a Corner Suite (what the hotel calls it) a junior suite, a room the hotel doesn't have. So when we checked in and got our room cards I knew my concerns had been valid when we were both taken to standard hotel rooms. Even worse, ours was a twin with two singles.

Back at the reception desk, I explained on HotelClub it had standard, deluxe then junior and that what’s what our two rooms should be. Not sure who the hotel called but we were soon in our corner suites.

Both rooms very different 502 two separate rooms, shower only; 715 one giant space with a huge bath (shower over).

The room positives - huge room, comfy bed, lots of tv channels, wired and wifi internet. The negatives - noisy aircon even on lowest setting. Because the rooms are huge takes ages to cool them down. No sheer curtains - this is an issue because corner suites have floor to ceiling glass down both sides so it's either a room of darkness or "Hello Bangkok". Rooms very worn – someone had put a big hole in the wall above our bed and it had been patched up very poorly with a bit of tape and some mismatched paint. Nowhere in the bathroom to put anything except on the vanity top. Shower temp was very up and down. One of the curtain tracks was coming off.

Good breakfast that is open really good hours – 6am to 10am. Bar in lobby open 24 hours. All three of us had massages in the Senses Spa attached to the hotel that we voted very highly. Really nice staff all through the hotel. Great roof top pool, sadly the bar is closed up there. Appears to attract a lot of gay clientele, so we never felt uncomfortable. Great restaurant Feuang Nara right across the road and Eat Me down the road (maybe 500 metres).

Watch out for charges at the bar up by the pool. 200 BHT corkage pp (plus taxes) so three cheap beers became three very expensive beers (by Thai standards of course).

As I said, location was very important to us. Hotel is directly across from Chong Nonsi BTS. Chong Nonsi is above the BRT (bus rapid transit) but we didn’t try it. Silom and the Patpong Night Market are less than a 10 minute walk away.

This review sounds very negative but it wasn’t a bad experience. My partner liked the hotel a lot more than me.

I wouldn’t stay here again unless I knew the lesser rooms had sheer curtains as well as the block-outs. The corner suites didn’t work for us at all. Actually no, no matter what, I’d give I-Residence right across the road a go instead.

Room Tip: Although the corner suites are huge, lack of sheer curtains makes them either public open space or v...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank pandaboys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Pros: - minute walk away from Chong Nonsi BTS, spacious room! Big beds! Big tv! Coffee table and sofa for comfy tv time. Dining table. Everything the room provides!

Cons: too far from Siam/Pratunam area. Walls not sound-proof! Minimal breakfast choice.

Basically a pretty quiet area as far from the heart of Bangkok (Siam). But, just along the roadside, there is Lek's SEAFOOD which is freaking good! My friends and I all had at least TWO bowls of rice! There's 7-11 just 30 secs away, good if you're feeling hungry at night. The fried chicken uncle food is damn good, push cart. He is another always there. Anyway, this hotel is just good for me.

Room Tip: Ask for the room where there is coffee table, sofa, dining table and king size bed, the room super s...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ronaelekol
Singapore
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I spent 3 nights here from 07 to 10 Jul 2012. At check in, the recept. said they run out of deluxe room and gave me a free upgrade to corner studio room. Wow! the room was big! If I'm not wrong, the whole room excluding balcony was almost 40sqm. There's a living room, dressing table etc. The bathroom was a nice shade of green colour. However the room was still dim with most of the lights on at night. Maybe more romantic this way. Breakfast was included. The food was ok, considering this was a boutique hotel. It included western and chinese dishes, cornflakes, fruits, salads, and juices. There was also a chinese soup for breakfast. Now that's something new. I tried the pool on the 2nd day of my stay, it was refreshing to have a morning swim to freshen up. I was enjoying my swim as I had the whole pool to myself. That's something good about boutique hotels. Good!

Room Tip: Choose the corner suites if you want more living space...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SingaporeRookie
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

Booked 2 deluxe rooms through agoda website. Wasn't hard to let the taxi driver know the exact location. Just tell them BTS Chong Nonsi and you will reach there without any hassle. Check-in is strictly at 2pm eventhough you reach the hotel at 12pm, they will not give you a room. Got a free room upgrade from deluxe room to corner studio which was much spacious. Hotel provides 2 free mineral water daily and all the usual toiletries. However, there are no bathrobe provided as stated. Wifi works well in the room in level 7. Bed slightly hard. Shower are a little bit troublesome with the unstable water pressure. Gets cold and hot easily during your entire shower. Hotel room is generally too dark. Could face some prob if you're doing packing at night. The hotel bar open until 1.30am. If you're tired and wish to have some drinks in the hotel itself, this is a recommended place to chill. Eg: a tower of singha beer cost less than 900 bhat. I think the price is fair. We ordered the tower and the bar boy send the tower to our room. Good service. Nearby the hotel are several seafood eateries which Lek Seafood are recommended to try as it's cheap and good. there is also a 7-11 less than 1 min from the hotel. BTS Chong Nonsi are just 2 mins from the hotel. There are plenty of taxis available anytime of the day. The hotel is about a block away from patpong which requires 20-30 mins walk. Not as near as what I have read on other reviews previously. Hotel itself also have thai massage for 400 bhat an hour. You can just ask them to do it in the room without any extra charge which was very relaxing.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank genxjay
Budapest
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Normally I don't see the point writing the same reviews that others have written good or bad, but since this is the first in a long while I'm staying in a hotel that was part of vacation and not business I'd like to add my 2 cents.

We chose to stay here because of the proximity to the BTS and the reviews. Having lived in Bangkok before I already knew how to get around. The hotel is less than a minute walk to the BTS escalator. Actually we decided to take the train from the airport rather than the usual taxi. We had two 360 deg suitcases which we thought would be convenient for our different modes of transportation during our long vacation, plus we had our son in the stroller.

It took 30 minutes on the airport link. We got off at Phayathai station then there is a lift which connected you directly to the BTS Sukhumvit line. From BTS Phayathai to Chong Nonsi took another 10 minutes. We had to get off at Siam station to get on to the Silom line which takes us to BTS Chong Nonsi. Then at Chong Nonsi there is a lift which takes us down to the street. A security guard has a key for this lift and I guess only offers if he/she sees the need for you to use the lift. Otherwise you have to use the stairs. The escalators only go up at all BTS stations (just like in KL). Then we crossed the road, since the lift was in the island in the middle of the two way road, then just around the corner is the hotel. We didn't have to do any amount of walking from airport to the hotel. It's 45 baht per person on the airport link, then 25 baht per person on the BTS between Phayathai to Chong Nonsi. We however decided to take the taxi back to the airport. We paid approx 240 baht by meter plus 70 baht toll for the taxi to the airport. Thank God there was no traffic at 10:30am.

Now for the hotel, you get what you pay for basically. People have reviewed that the reception staff are not friendly, you would expect the smiles since Thailand is the 'land of smiles' but that was the least of my problems, I wasn't surprised based on reviews when they never greeted us with a smile. I just wanted a clean room to stay and to have wifi and breakfast included as per what I paid for. And I just wanted to be able to easily hop on the train and head to the malls.

We had an early bird promotion reservation 'check in early 10am and check out late 3pm'. So luckily I had my voucher printed to show them that and we got into our room before the usual 2pm check in time. The room was very basic, the dresser/ledge and the night stand/desk is like something you'd find in a cheap hostel. But the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was the standard of a small / boutique hotel. There is nothing to watch on the tv channels, nice Samsung LCD tv but what's the point if there's nothing for English speaking guests! There's a mini bar and 2 free bottles of water provided. There is a digital switch beside the bed for 'do not disturb' and 'make up room'. The free wifi in the room was below average, my husband spent most of the time in the lobby because he had work to catch up on. I managed to use it sometimes for browsing. But most of the time I was out on the road because it's so easy to get around with the BTS. We were on the fourth floor facing the train station. Oh, re breakfast after the third day you'll get tired of the options. Other meals ordered in the restaurant were to our satisfaction. The rooftop pool is great for relaxation and the gym which is next to the pool has the typical 3 machines plus weights like other small hotels.

I would stay here again because of the very close proximity to the BTS, the free breakfast and wifi, and the fact that we slept comfortably without any problems.

Next we were happily off to Burasari Hotel Phuket!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank yardiebarbie
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Despite the good location, the hotel does not reach the standards for a three stars hotel. The night we arrived they had overbooking and we were not given a kingsize bed room as we asked for but twin beds. The whole decoration of the hotel looks cheap and it is quite deteriorated. The breakfast is poorly served and cold. The room next to us spent the whole night singing and the staff did nothing about it. We were supposed to have two complimentary bottles of water that we did not find so we took one from the fridge. At check out, of course they charged us for that bottle of water, but we were also treated very poorly from a guy named "Pattan" (that was all the information we could get). We ask for a complaint form that they did not provide and we asked for the name of the general manager and, supposedly, they do not have one. So, in general, we were very dissapointed. We had stayed previously in a boutique hotel on the opposite building, which was a much better value for the money and even better located. Therefore we will never come back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karajaula

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Reviewed 16 July 2012

I was booked 4 rooms for my holiday with family 2 week in advance.. 6 adult, 3 kids and a baby. Was tired after whole day traveling and finally reach heritage hotel. We were waiting for an hour for check in a finally the manager came out and tell us they are fully booked and our room was not reserve. We're shock and disappointed. Although they offer us to shift our hotel to another hotel but we have arrange our traveling schedule from here and the hassle to change everything, the manager wasn't really cooperative into this matter, he is irresponsible into this matter, at first he offer us to stay one night in their other hotel in other location for 1 night and move back here for the second night, to avoid rearrange everything again so I say will rather stay the first night In a hotel opposite of this hotel and going back the next day.. The manager rudely say they will also charge me for the first night even though we didn't stay and they don't have room for us. This is the worse hotel experience I ever had, I will judge this hotel very terrible hotel service, they can't handle Internet booking.

Stayed July 2012