“Never wrong with Sofitel”

Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit
Ranked #34 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
“Never wrong with Sofitel”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Spent a couple of nights there on a working trip to BKK. It is one of my favorite hotel in Sukhumvit. Some room are being discounted on web sites, and you can get a 4 star plus stay for a very descent price. As usual, the breakfast is really enjoyable (did not have diner that time), and the service is excellent. I will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
William J, General Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Jeff_Kula_Lumpur,

Thank you very much for your positive comments concerning your last stay with us. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay and that the extensive breakfast buffet at Voila exceeded your expectations.

I would like to end by saying that it was a pleasure serving you at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit and we hope to see you again for your next business trip to Bangkok.

William Haandrikman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Very good central location in Sukhumvit, modern clean, helpful staff, all you need. I had severely injured my hamstring and staff went ll out for me, nothing too small they couldn't do for me. As I couldn't walk very far, we ate at hotel for all meals. Never disappointed. Dinners and lunch were quite good, service was good. We would return to Sofitel next time we are in Bangkok.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Leslie T,

I am delighted to read that our team was able to provide you a magnifique experience. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the hotel’s surroundings, atmosphere and all hotel facilities.

Thank you again for your comment and we very much look forward to being able to welcome you back to the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Sofitel is an oasis of chill out and bliss in the heart of the bustle of Sukhumvit. Perhaps it is the pool area where the attendants neatly fold out your towel with care. Perhaps it's first wave of the air conditioning with the signature Sofitel scent of the lobby after a long and sweaty day in the city. Perhaps it's the thoughtful appointments in the luxury room like shades around the bath tub or the closet with access from both the room hallway and the bathroom.

I don't have any prior experience with the Sofitel brand, so I'm a newbie, but I really liked what I saw and felt. As a pure tourist, the location situated between Nana and Asok BTS stops is really hard to top. The BTS just works for me. Traffic is too much to bear in a taxi when the BTS is right there with the air con raging to beat the heat. The Sofitel actually is closer to Nana, so keep that in mind for arrivals.

The handling process of check-in and getting the luggage to the room was flawless. The room itself was grand and it was "just" a luxury room. Quite possibly I have seen the largest king size bed in existence. Nice touches were the chaise by the windows. A very nice place to relax and take in the night view of the city as our room overlooked the back of the hotel (pool area). Other nice touches included the shades in the bathroom that either offer privacy or just the opposite to the person in the bath tub. L'Octaine is standard for soap, shampoo, and gels.

The bedding was just divine and finally a hotel room where lighting was logical to control! Nothing like being baffled in 2014 as to where something as simple as bathroom lights are located. Regretfully I didn't get to check out the hotel gym. The pool area however was a big plus. Frankly, I liked the minimalistic design to it. Nice and gentle walk-in steps will be appreciated by parents with kids or those that need a more eased approach to entering/exiting a pool.

Our time in Bangkok was busy so there was no need to eat or drink at the hotel. There is a roof top bar I am told, but we didn't get there, rather we spent time at Octave at the Marriott for an "essential" bangkok rooftop night out.

As a frequent traveler to Bangkok, I'm actually quite fond of staying in Sukhumvit. The access to the BTS is a huge plus as I mentioned before. While the area is clearly touristy, the obvious benefit is a plethora of things to do and places to eat/drink/shop.The Sofitel is just steps away from the bustle that is Bangkok but the hotel is a haven of bliss and relaxation. Enjoy.

1 Thank RegionalRoadie
Dear RegionalRoadie,

It was a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the the hotel’s atmosphere, well-thought-out rooms, peaceful poolside and the flawless service provided by our ambassadors. It is great to read that this all contributed to provide you with a magnifique stay at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit. I will share you nice comments on the level of service with our ambassadors.

Thank you again for your comments and we are look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

UK
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We normally book boutique, independent hotels and avoid the brands....so glad we didn't do it this time! Sofitel Sukhumvit Bangkok is a great choice.
Great location in both area and transport access wise...then add to that a very professionally run hotel, cool interiors, great facilities and of course fantastic staff...whats not to like!!!
Very good pool area and a good gym. Well layed out pool and cool bar. Loads of kit n weights in the gym. Great little sauna. Gym open 24hrs....so no excuses, you can burn off the great cocktails from the hotels rooftop bar! They serve the best mojito I have had...and I have had lots! Lol.
Breakfast is not the usual kind of mass buffet thing but nice small areas of speciality elements to make up whatever takes your fancy. Great breads and pastries. Cool fresh juices squeezed for you, good coffee and so much more...breakfast is a must do in this hotel...couldn't miss it.
Good sized rooms with great beds.
(As I type this a cool vibe around the pool is going on, cool tunes and cold drinks, tough life eh? Lol)
A nice bar on ground floor or a rooftop experience...you choose...or BOTH, good choice.
Close to two skytrain stations. Easy walk to terminal 21 shopping mall, restaurants and bars near by to suit all tastes.
All in all this is a great choice for anyone in Bangkok, either your first time or your hundredth time makes no difference its a great hotel.

Room Tip: Higher the better as always to increase your views. All room standards are good so choice is easy.
3 Thank Perry B
William J, General Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear PerryB,

We are delighted to hear that you are currently enjoying your stay with us and that you like the hotel’s convenient location, the facilities on the 9th floor and the food and beverages provided at several outlets in the hotel. I will share your nice comments on the level of service with our ambassadors. Should you require anything during your stay, please do not hesitate to contact the reception or guest services on the phone.

Thank you again for your positive comments and we would like to wish you some more magnifique days at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

I hope we will have an opportunity to meet during your current stay.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Bad news. We're disappointed.
My partner and I are heavy users of hotels around the world and as Le Club Gold customers we choose to stay at Sofitel whenever possible.
This was our first time at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit and we expected more, way more.
It's a nice hotel, yes, but just not up to what many Sofitels and other 5-star properties has to offer.
We stayed in two different rooms: the Club Millesime room and the Prestige Suite, both with an access to the Club Millesime lounge. We've found the lounge access usually good value for money in Sofitel but, sorry to say, not here.
Both rooms were large and decorated with good taste. They were equipped with the best ever bed, the Sofitel MyBed, plus Hermes' quality bath amenities. But then the lounge – there we encountered mediocre service and didn't received smiles from many of the staff members.
Moreover, the staff wasn't proactive at all. We had to ask them constantly to refill the snack bar as the few available food options ran out at all times in tea time and cocktail hours, ask if they are going to be serving any warm food (it was served after begging), and ask them to fill our glasses.
The cocktail hours was a joke: they only served cheese, cold cuts, and four different tiny canapés. Cold cuts and gravlax looked leftovers from breakfast.
Just go to Sofitel So Bangkok or Sofitel Philippine Plaza in Manila, for example, and you'll be treated with a real buffet in the lounge.
After the tea time and cocktail hours all food disappeared from the lounge, including cookies. There wasn't absolutely anything to eat. In other Sofitel lounges, there are always something small to get: macarons, cookies, chocolate, candies, nuts…
Alcohol beverages are served only during the cocktail hours between 5:00–7:00 PM. Many Sofitel lounges has at least beer available all day long. Here you'll find just water, juice, soft drinks, coffee and tea.
It's better to choose the cheaper room and use money for drinks at the roof top bar in 32nd floor that offers an amazing view over Bangkok.
In the morning, we had breakfast at the Voila restaurant. The variety of food was good enough and quality okay, but really nothing special to write home about – very average for a 5-star hotel.
The staff in breakfast looked like they are bored with their work and serving customers.
No smiles. No goodmornings. No eye contacts.
For example, when asking if could have an other cup of cappuccino the waitress did neither looked to eyes, didn't repeat the order nor said something like: "Certainly, Sir." She just turned around, left and brought our coffees 5 minutes later. Again, neither smiles nor words were offered.
It was also a big surprise for us how few staff members are able to speak English in an international 5-star hotel. In an egg station, for example, the chef pretended he don't here my question when I asked several times how long it takes to prepare my Egg Benedict.
They could also serve eggs to the table like they do in many other hotels, including the Sofitel So Bangkok.
If one want to stay at the Sofitel in Bangkok, I would recommend to consider the other option, Sofitel So Bangkok that is located just opposite of the Lumpini Park. It's more modern hotel and they provide great customer service, lots of smiles, care taking, and peace of mind.

3 Thank travelboysc
Dear travelboysc,

Thank you for taking the time sharing your Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit experience with us, it is much appreciated. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We are sorry for the inconveniences you had to face concerning the level of service provided at the Club Lounge and during the breakfast at Voila!. We would like to inform you that this is does not represent the quality of service we strive for at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

The level of service mentioned at Voila! and in the club causes us deep concern. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrences. However, I would like to point out that we do serve eggs and other individually prepared items at the table. On every table in Voila! one can find the table number with several cards in the cardholder. When ordering, this card can be given to the chef who will bring the items to your table.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and I sincerely hope that this experience will not impair your confidence in the Sofitel network. We would be very grateful if you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Staff need to be courteous.
facilities need to be explained well.
pool area wasn't clean at all
staff showed no respect.
no managers/ambassadors to greet
concierge service never available.
Tourists need to feel special who stay at five star properties.
Rather than replying to this feedback I expect to see major changes done.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
William J, General Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear illahityso,

Thank you for taking the time sharing your Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit experience with us.

It is with sincere regret to note your dissatisfaction with our service and facilities. The experience you described causes us deep concern and does not represent the quality of the service we strive for at our hotel.

Besides, we take pride in our cleanliness and attention to detail, but clearly we were not up to standard on this occasion.

Your comments will be communicated to all responsible managers. I truly regret that we didn’t handle things better and have followed up with my team to ensure such a situation never occurs again.

Please feel free to contact our Quality Manager at h5213-gm2@sofitel.com should you wish to share your experience of your recent stay and should you be still interested in returning to the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit she will personally take care of your request.

Again, please accept our humble apologies and we hope this experience will not impair your confidence in the Sofitel network and we might get the opportunity to welcome you again at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit to show you the improvements we have made.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I cannot recommmend this hotel enough! But, you should defenetly book a "club" room, which gives you access to the club on the 31st floor. Where they will serve you an excellent breakfast, everything you could ever whish for. And it also gives you access to afternoon tea and evening happy hour cocktails with snacks. But, and this is important, you need a will of stell to resist all the treats the wonderful staff is serving you. It is so easy to pile on those kilos... cookies, homemade little pizzas, springrolls etc.. but it is worth it!! lovely ambience. Try to book a corner room, as they tend to be a bit bigger in size. As for the pool area, it is wonderful, and the staff do tend to your every need, if they could they would probably carry you the few steps in to the pool itself.
Also, the location is great, close to skytrain, all the shopping you can think of, and restuarants in plenty just on your doorstep. And if it is not a "bad traffic day" you will be at the airport in just 20-25 minuties by taxi. And do not forget to visit the spa, heaven, once you are in there you never want to leave.
defeneltly a luxury hotel, will stay there every time I visit Bangkok.

Room Tip: corner rooms are the best option
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank plummer074
Dear plummer074,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback in regards to your stay at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit. I am very delighted to read that our ambassadors provided you good service in order to make your stay an enjoyable and memorable experience. Besides good to hear that the advantages of the Club Millesime (including the snacks), the well-though-out rooms and convenient location were to your liking as well.

I would like to thank you for your kind compliments towards our ambassadors. At Sofitel, our guest experience and guest satisfactions are our highest priorities. I’m glad to hear that the service you received during your stay exceeds your expectations.

It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known for.

We look forward towards your next stay with us.