“An unpretentious family Thai restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hemlock

Hemlock
Ranked #271 of 10,675 Restaurants in Bangkok
Price range: US$4 - US$10
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, International
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Banglamphu
Description: The first art restaurant in Thailand with deep Thai foods root.
Bishop's Waltham, United Kingdom
“An unpretentious family Thai restaurant”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited the restaurant this evening looking for something near our hotel, the Riva Surya, that offered genuine Thai food. The Hemlock was literally a stones throw from our hotel and as we approached we noticed only Thai locals were in the restaurant - a good sign. We enjoyed 3 dishes between the 2 of us, thoroughly relished the food and together with beer etc the bill only came to just under 600B - a bargain. To top it off we took pleasure in hearing a short piano recital from the owners daughter and shared a family experience.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank the4poles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great meal in good location, lovely little restaurant”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I'm veggie and there were lots of options, green curry was delicious and we had the traditional leaf wrap starters (name?!)

Really reasonable for both food and drinks, chilled atmosphere and seemed very clean. Delicious meal!

• Visited April 2014
Seoul, South Korea
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hemlocks is an Honorable Establishment with Wonderful Meals”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Hi, all,

I would like to provide an update about a review that I wrote a few months ago. I wrote about my family and I having a wonderful meal at Hemlocks on January 30 but then being overcharged owing to a billing error (we were charged 7,000 baht instead of 700). I had tried to contact the restaurant by email but as it turned out, my messages had gone to their spam folder. After contacting them through Tripadvisor, I was able to resolve the matter directly. Tripadvisor is a wonderful service and Hemlocks is an honorable establishment who do care about their customers.

Again, the meal that we had was wonderful: My wife ordered a traditional dish that had five or six different vegetables (with a soy sauce dip int he middle) that I had never seen or tasted -- highly recommended. I had a red curry dish that was also excellent, my son had the "American fried rice' that wasn't spicy (since he's four), and my mother-in-law also had a nice curry. The atmosphere was very cool and relaxing and the music was nice. We had to rush out to get to a show for the mother-in-law, but I hope to get a chance to go again and stay longer on our next visit.

• Visited January 2014
Natenapit W, Owner at Hemlock, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
We still have to say that Tripadvisor is not the proper channel in this case and it's not the right procedure at all. Mr.Tom W should concern about falseability of email and try to contact us more. And also, Tripadvisor should have more screen system for some customer reviews (as for owner responses which very strict and run by machine which too rough) which too easy to use the word "steal" to any restaurants base on strong merits.
Kirkland, Washington
“Loved it”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife and I visited Hemlock when we first arrived in Bangkok. We were staying close by and chose it on a whim. We loved the mellow atmosphere and the food was outstanding. We really liked the service and finished up coming back again and again until we left Bangkok. One of our best dining experiences during our stay in SE Asia. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
Seoul, South Korea
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This Restaurant Will Steal Your Money”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My family and I (three adults and one four-year old child) ate here on January 30th and had a wonderful meal. We ate four main dishes including one delicious traditional plate featuring many vegetables that I had never eaten before along with a nice spicy soy sauce dip in the center. My son had a juice, my wife and mother-in-law had water, and I had three small bottle beers. All was wonderful and we were happy with everything.

We then realized that we had made a mistake in the amount of time that we needed to take our mother-in-law to a show that night near Central Pier and so I quickly summoned the waiter for the check. After finally getting his attention and looking at the check (which to my memory read 720 or so baht), I used my credit care, signed, quickly dropped a tip on the table and we were off to the theatre and enjoyed the rest of our stay .

A week or so after returning home, my jaw dropped when I saw that Hemlock had charged us $220.21 for a meal that should have been $22.00. I looked back through our receipts and found not a 700 baht charge for Hemlock, but a 7,000 baht charge!!! My wife went through the roof but I prevailed upon her to remain calm as I was sure that the owner of Hemlock (a nice lady I believed who was handling the bills on the night of our dinner) would see the obvious mistake and refund the difference.

Unfortunately, I had to pay the bill and have not received any responses to my emails to Hemlock and believe that they must be ignoring them. I therefore am quite upset and have no recourse other than to post this account so others will not suffer the same fate as me. If you choose to go to this dishonest establishment, please be careful to scrutinize the bill or you two may find that your fun little inexpensive meal has cost you the same as staying a night at a luxury hotel.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Tom W
Natenapit W, เจ้าของธุรกิจ at Hemlock, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
I'm so tired with Tripadvisor system. This case is misunderstood case and I'd inform both in Tripadvisor and Tom W 's email. We apologize each other and are in process of correction. Tripadviser posted my respond and long story which I wrote - it's very clear and polite and make no misunderstanding for everyone. But now I don't understand why it's disappeared and I can't do anything even email to ask or to inform anything to Tripadvisor. This review's false headline is serious and urgent case to be corrected at least by my response before Tom W post new review.