“Outstanding”

Ranked #222 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Hong Kong, China
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

It may be in the upper echelons of the hotel market, but this is a wonderful place to stay. I traveled with two other and got the two bedroom apartment, which was very swish. The rooms are very nicely designed. Further, the location is great - smack in the trendy Thong Lo surrounded by upmarket eateries. I will definitely return!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HanaeYano_Manager, Manager at Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor Bangkok, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Nick,

It was a great pleasure having you stay at Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor. Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review.
We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed our room, facility and Thonglor!

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I have stayed here on a couple of occasions most recently in December 2013/January 2014.

The rooms I have stayed in have all been excellent - spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. When I first checked in on this trip I had a minor problem with air conditioning in the room which seemed to blow a fuse. I called reception and a maintenance man arrived around 5 minutes later and fixed it in no time.

The staff at reception have always been fantastic and very helpful.

The facilities are good. There is a great infinity pool on the 9th floor and there is also a fitness room which I used a few times on this trip. The equipment is all relatively new and well maintained.

The breakfast options are OK. Having stayed here for several days consecutively the breakfast options came begin to feel a bit limited and lacking in variety. The breakfast service can also be a bit haphazard and inconsistent. On a good day I was welcomed with a smile then served coffee, juice and water when I was seated. On a bad bad I was left to seat myself or if I got seated no coffee etc was served.

Finally, the location is very good. On Sukhumvit 55 (Thonglor) there are many great restaurant options for dinner within walking distance. There is also a supermarket just across the street. Somerset also offer a complimentary tuk tuk which can take you to Thonglor BTS station. I've used this once but generally just walked to the BTS station which takes about 10-15 minutes.

I'm sure I will stay at Somerset again in the future. It's a great location with all the facilities I need when I visit Bangkok and excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
HanaeYano_Manager, Manager at Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor Bangkok, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Muirmc,

Thank you for choosing Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor as your accommodation during your stay in Bangkok.
It is always encouraging for us to learn that our valuable guests are satisfied with our service and facilities.
I have also shared your compliments with the team.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Bunbury
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Pretty good place good location. amenities are good.

There is also a free tuk tuk to main shopping & the trains.

Service isn't very good though, the room service was horrible. the 7/11 was a better option for food which is highly unusual for Thailand. Some restaurants across the road at the mall that serve some very nice authentic Thai food.

I would stay again if I needed someone out of the way, I just think the can really put some effort into the service and the food to make this place very good!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rob S
Dear Rob S,

It was a great pleasure having you stay at Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our property as well as this wonderful location.

However we would like to apologise that we were unable to meet your expectation on our room service.
As we are keen to make improvements to enhance our guests' overall stay with us, I have shared your comments with the team and are working on those improvements.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Singapore
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed here this trip for my annual business meeting in Bangkok.
Normally, I will stay somewhere in the main city such as near Chit Lom or Asok. But due to the demonstration and protest happening I decided to stay further away at Thonglor.

Thonglor is a very nice area where most Japanese and Expats choose to live. Area has plenty of Japanese Restaurants. Those who need a Starbucks nearby and a supermarket, this service apartment could be ideal. Plenty of nice wine bars too.

Somerset Thonglor is about 10-12 minutes walk from the Thonglor BTS station. There is a free shuttle from Somerset to the BTS but no return shuttle available. Easy walk with a pavement but quite dark at night.

Rooms are well furnish and upmarket funiture. Good in room amenities. As this is a service apartment, there is a microwave and even a washing machine!

On the other hand, I have issues with the Wifi that keeps dropping off and need me to log in again. Staff are rather cold, they will just answer your question. And when asked about the BTS they just say go outside. Rooms hot water takes sometime to heat up, quite irritating to stand and wait. Breakfast variety is good but similarly service staff are cold and no service warmth.

Overall it is a good property but service needs work.

Room Tip: Some rooms are smaller than others. Ask for the non-corner rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Lapi,

Thank you for your feedback .

We are glad to know that you enjoyed our property and the location!

However I noticed that we failed to meet your expectations in certain aspects of your stay with us and I offer my apologies for having failed to give you the service all our guests expect.
Since we are constantly looking at ways to improve our services, following your feedback, we will focus our efforts to seek improvements in these areas.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope to be of (better) service to you in the future.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed for 3 nights for business trip.
Loved the environment.

The room is well equipped with kitchen, electrical appliances like microwave, fridge, electrical cooking stove and washing machine.
The living room is comfy.

The bathroom comes with shower and bathtub.
It really feels like a little home in foreign country.

The free wifi speed is good too.
Breakfast is limited though. Kind of family style.
The view of the infinity pool is great. Enjoy having breakfast right in front of the pool.

There is Starbucks and few cafes opposite the hotel. There's a supermart too.
Location is great. Traffic is less crowded when compared to Sukhumvit.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Choose corner type, room layout is bigger.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear ShuLing J,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
It is great to have you stay with us. We appreciate your review and the compliments about our facilities.
We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.
singapore
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Room - I got the corner room.. Room is nice and clean but the wifi is not good as it can only be connected at certain areas but after complaining, they got it fixed immediately. So thumbs up for the good service! TV channels are good.

Breakfast - It wasn't a spread and it's quite terrible for me as most of the food served contain pork. Not vegetarian-friendly. Definitely not worth to pay extra for. Based on my stays so far, I personally think that Somerset properties are seriously lacking in this department.

Pool - What can I say? Pool is big and really nice.. I love it! Breakfast is served on this floor.

Location - 15mins walk to Thonglor BTS.. Not a good idea to drag your luggage along as the pavement can be quite narrow and uneven. A free tuk-tuk shuttle service is provided but that is due to availability. Most taxi drivers didnt know this hotel so it can be troublesome at first. But just give them the street name and it's pretty easy once you have entered the street cos you can just give them the directions or show the building.
A small mall is located opposite the hotel. Starbucks there closes as late as 2am and a 24hr Burger King to feed your sudden hunger in the middle of the night. There are also a number of massage parlours that close late down the street, a lot of Japanese restaurants in the area and a number of food stalls down the street.

FYI - There seems to be a lot of Japanese guests staying here by the way. Traffic at the main road can be really bad so the train is pretty much the most convenient mode of transport.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cashmere09
Dear Cashmere09,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review regarding your stay at Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the room and the infinity pool as well as the great location!
We have noted your observations and recommendations for improvements to the breakfast. Please be assured taht we have since added dishes without pork into our breakfast selection.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you again!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed here for a few days recently. It was a great find. I am very much a hotel girl but couldn't have been happier.

The apartments are large and very comfortable with all mod cons including a washing machine, dryer and dishwasher. It is set up as a home away from home. The staff are extremely friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. The day I arrived there was a residents dinner. I was invited and offered free food, drink and entertainment. I love the area where it is located, Thonglor offers great restaurants, bars and fab massage places without being in the busy part of Bangkok.

They have a shuttle which will take you to local areas free of charge.

I highly recommended this accommodation to travelers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PETAtravels
HanaeYano_Manager, Manager at Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor Bangkok, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear PETAtravels,

Thank you for your compliments about our serviced residence during your recent stay with us.
We are happy to hear that you had a chance to join our Residents' Event. We hope that you had your caricature done at the event!
Receiving such feedback from guests like yourself inspire us to continually improve our service delivery.
From all of us at Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor, we look forward to welcoming you again.