“cheap and that's what you get in return.”

New Siam Guest House III (Super)
Ranked #388 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 23 February 2014

If you like Kao San area (backpakkers, cheap junk markets etc.), this guesthouse is right in the middle of it. Welcome is very unpersonal and the staff is not the personification of friendliness. Room is very small but clean (aside of some details like stuff behind the tv closet), which is the most important for a place like Bangkok. Have to say that the staff was very helpful when we asked something, we would however sometimes expect to get a smile with it. Airco and fridge on the room are very noisy. You need to sleep with eardops. Mattras was quite old I think, first three days barely slept, until we decided to sleep upside down. As of then we had long nights of sleep.
Big minus for the neighbourhood are the amount of scam attempts which are everywhere. Also no public transport is available in this area, so you are obliged to take corrupt taxi and tuk tuk drivers. Wifi didn't work, we got however our money back. Had to go to a nearby terras with free wifi.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dave_Manimal

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel all together for ten days (three different rooms) and loved it. It has air-condition, a fan, soft mattresses, shower gel and shampoo, a safe, a cabinet, hooks for cloth, TV and a fridge.
The staff speaks English and is friendly. There are on-site services such as laundry, a cloak room, a travel agency and wifi.
The only thing they could improve is their online booking system which didn't work when we tried to make a reservation.
Located in the center of Rambuttri village it is one of the better options there. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Austrianangel
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Hi all,
My wife & I stayed in the New Siam III Guesthouse in the first week of January 2014 for 3 nights.
We have stayed in and around the Kao San Road a couple of times on previous trips to Thailand (usually before going to the islands); its a cheap area to stay with good value to be had.
We picked the New Siam III because at 900 BHT a night we got a decent room with, shower, air con, tv and a security box.
When we checked in we put all our valuables into the security box as we didnt want to worry about them over the next few days.
When we checked out we cleared out the security box and headed to the airport via taxi....at the airport I realised that I had not taken my wedding ring from the security box and I immediately rang the guesthouse to ask them if they had found it in the security box (which we had left open when we checked out....as requested by the duty manager).
They asked me to ring back and when I did they said "no....nothing.....safe empty".
Now we are talking one hour later here and there is no doubt that the ring was in the safe as it was one of the first things that I put in.....I never usually wear it when travelling as it starts to bug me with the heat, etc.
I sent an e-mail to the actual manager of the New Siam group (as they have at least three places in the general area) and he replied to say that they never had an issue with theft and to recheck my bags....the e-mail came from an address that could not be replied to so what I got was a general lack of care from the manager of this chain.....he didn't even bother to ring me to at least talk through it.
To be honest....the ring itself is only worth around 500 euro but the sentimental value is a lot higher and this time my trip to Thailand was soured....which is a pity as I always enjoy my time here.
This review is not to tell you not to stay here.....its just to warn you that they are not the most honest place in the area.
One very disappointed traveler advises you to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike D
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Perfect place for backpackers, next street from Kao San, therefore much more quiet at night. At 840 bhats a night in november, it's a steal. I was there twice for a few days on my way back and forth from Burma. On both occasions, the room was clean, quiet, with air con, a fan, and enough space to breathe. The staff is nice and organized. I asked for more pillows, more shampoo, more blankets (I can be a pain at times) and every request was met with a smile and delivered quickly. No elevator but there's a small lift to get your luggage on your floor. After a few days, this place felt like home. Ask for it once you are on Rambutti Road as it can be difficult to locate.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Monalisa2008
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Full disclosure --- I am not a backpacker. I only have two nights in Bangkok in transit and I wanted to stay in close vicinity to the palaces near the river because the BTS isn't the best for getting there and I also wanted to see what the Khaosan scene was like...

Trip advisor is usually so good to me. Alas...Am writing this review from my room...it is infested with ants. Air con is loud. Toilet is dirty. Sheets and walls are stained. Not comfortable at all and not clean. Location is great, on a lively street if that's what you are looking for and the price is good, but I cannot in good conscience NOT tell people about the ants. Trip advisor has done so much for me, this is me trying to give back. I will say from my experience that if it wasn't for the ants, this would be a relatively decent hostel-type hotel. I've seen some real awful ones over the years. If it wasn't for the ants then I couldn't complain too much due to the price and where it is located. The walls, bathrooms etc...You pretty much know what you're getting around here. But the ants...the damn ants.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ROBISTUART
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Visited in June 2012 and was our second stay here. Have stayed in New Siam II as well but thought this one was better. Rooms are basic but clean with private bathroom, ac, tv and fridge which makes it great value for money. The location is down a side street with plenty of restaurants and markets and only a short stroll to khao San road so not as hectic but still a great location and am planning on going again next year.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Located at the corner of the famous rambuttri rd, had a room with balcony, tv ac, less than 1000bath in low season, was super. room was super clean, confortable, i am very not very demanding and gruppy. except in the morming when i dont have my coffee. i put 5 star even if more than basic because... its one of the best at his range of guest house in this area. (i dont like box room, i like big window with balcony, dont like climbbing stairs, have to ask for the 2nd floor max).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple