“LOVE LOVE LOVE... Felt right at home”
Review of The Bhuthorn

The Bhuthorn
Ranked #100 of 732 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 April 2011

The glowing reviews I read on TripAdvisor for the Bhuthorn held true - this small B&B is simply fantastic. This was my husband and I's first trip to Thailand, and Bangkok was our first stop. We did not arrive at the hotel until around 10PM. Unfortunately when we got out of the cab, I left all of our documents (passports, money, id's, credit cards, etc.) in the cab. I think the innkeeper (forget her name but she was delightful) thought I was crazy, but she immediately started making calls trying to track down the cab driver. Luckily, someone was looking out for us that night as the cab driver returned to the hotel 45 minutes later after he realized we left our passport pouch in the back of his taxi - everything was still there! This was when we knew we had traveled to the right place!

We stayed in the large room downstairs in the back of the building. It was so cute and comfortable - loved the French Colonial decor. While this hotel is no frills, we really felt right at home whenever we walked in the door and were so kindly greeted by our innkeeper. It was almost as though we had the whole place to ourselves, as we never crossed paths with any of the other guests staying there. We dined both mornings in the LOVELY outdoor courtyard in the back both mornings. The breakfast was delicious!

Before leaving the inn, the innkeeper always asked where we were going and wrote down the destination in thai and english so that if we hired a taxi, they would know where to take us. She also made sure we had a map with us every time we left. This was very comforting, especially as we stepped out into a very big and unfamiliar city!

I will reiterate what other travelers have said - taxis have a difficult time finding this hotel. Make sure you print the map out and carry it with you to give to the taxi when you are heading to the Bhuthorn for the first time. It might take them an extra 5-10 minutes to find it, especially at night!

I cannot say more positive things about the Bhuthorn and I would return in a heartbeat (if we liked Bangkok). Unfortunately, however, one full day in Bangkok was ENOUGH for us. The one suggestion I have to the Bhuthorn is that it would be nice if they offered refreshments that you could purchase such as soda water or wine. We arrived late and were thirsty for both water and a cocktail.... would have been nice to have had that available at the hotel as we had to venture out on foot to find something.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cgyuill

Reviewed 17 April 2011

I stayed at the Bhuthorn for a few days in early March, in the Bhuthorn room, and a few in early April, in the Nara room. On both occasions I was not disappointed. Both the rooms are clean, elegant and individual and the breakfasts always delicious. The staff are all delightful and promptly responsive and the place in general is a wonderful haven within bustling Bangkok.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank NingNandNong
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Stayed for 3 nights and felt like I had lived there my whole life. Gentle, kindly staff attended to needs, noticed my preferences (vegetarian, no dairy) and managed to exceed my expectations every single day, either by slipping out to the market to pick up my favorite fruits for breakfast, or by selecting a different china everyday to serve at tea time. My room was a dreamy high-ceiling beauty with modern bathroom and charming and practicle antique furniture. The neighbourhood was filled with good resto's and only minutes to palace and other tourist sites. I was so happy at Bhuthorn, can't wait to go back with my husband.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank KDuke7
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Charming 3-BR B&B in restored building done in French colonial style accented with rattan furniture and yellow palette. Stayed in ground floor Salpasart room. Nice firm bed with a good mix of soft/firm pillows with soft linens. Late in evening staff will shutterboard windows for obvious reasons. This is not for the visitor who opts for the sleek swanky hotel in BKK.

Delicious and plentiful breakfast in atrium consisted of pork satay and sticky rice, strawberry yogurt, eggs with sausage (the Asian type that reminds me of smallish Oscar Weiners), croissant and watermelon wedges. Second day breakfast was more of the same as Day 1 except satay was substituted with kanam krok (very rich coconut milk pancakes) and fruit choice was mango. Restaurants within a short walking distance include Krua Apsorn and the well-known Chote Chitr. Also, there are a few suitable hawker stands across the street and park square.

Internet connectivity is sufficient to Skype but not for high speed needs. Would definitely stay here again if it weren't for having to deal w/BKK congestion and pollution. Also, beware of tuk-tuk scam artists.

Room Tip: Book early since only 3 rooms, but has new B&B
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank sfalbie
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We only had one night here and we were wishing we had more. It is right in the heart of everything and the staff was so helpful. We visited 2 of the local restaurants that were suggested and they were amazing. We had a late flight and the staff of the Bhuthorn really took care of us. From the fresh coconut ice cream and drinks when we arrived to the italian soda we got before the London Taxi picked us up for the airport.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2011

First of all, I would like to compliment the previous reviewer, who so eloquently put into words some of the impressions that I also have of this magic place. Kudos!

The purpose of Tripadvisor is to give advise, I guess, so my advise would be as following: Stay at this place if you want to be close to the major cultural attractions, they are all within walking distance, even in the scorching heat of this megapolis. Stay here if you like history and have an eye for details, because there are little gems to discover everywhere in this house. Choose the Bhutorn if you are eager to see some of the old ways of Bangkok, to be a place where not everything is made up to cater to Western tourists and are not afraid of trying local street-food.

Do not choose this little B&B if you need the conveniences of a 5-star hotel, because even though the exellent staff of the Bhuthorn have genuine concern for their guest's well-being, this place can never have a roof-top pool & spa. And finally, do not be afraid of being ignored if Chitlada is busy elsewhere; her staff are attentive and well informed, and are eager to give good advise if needed.

Since this was our first stay in Bangkok, I was torn between staying in the more touristy parts of the city and in the Old Town, since both places have their advantages. We do not regret staying at the Bhuthorn, and found it to suit our every needs as first-time visitors to Bangkok!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FlyinBee
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I had 4 nights at The Bhuthorn and as a regular visitor to Bangkok I wanted to stay somewhere in the Old Town that had some character and was still 4 or 5 star. Before The Bhuthron came along this would have been impossible. I do not like the Sukhumvit area and am not a big fan of the Sheraton/Hyatt/Westin etc formula faceless hotels, and although I like shopping it is not the main thing that makes Bangkok such a great city. If you are after Thai culture, architecture, food and people then Rattanakosin and Banglamphu are where you need to be and The Bhurthorn puts you in the middle with one huge advantage: Chitlada the owner.

Chitalada was very very busy finishing off her new venture, The Asadang Hotel, when I was there but in spite of long days for her off site she was always about to have a chat and look after me and the other guests. As others have pointed out when you come back after a day out she will make you iced tea, coffee, Strawberry Soda and amazing coconut ice cream and mango sticky rice. You can lounge about in a beautiful period design living area and chat to Chitlada about all things Bangkok.

I stayed in the Nara room and it was perfect. It is two level with a loft bedroom and has a real old town shophouse feel. It has all the modern luxuries like Sat TV, WiFi and minibar. I loved the library on the first floor full of wonderful books on Thailand, design, art, architecture and novels.

Something Chitlada explained to me and you find out very quickly staying here is that the surrounding area is famous for its food, There are cafes, restaurants and food stalls everywhere and the food is cheap and fabulous. Chote Chitr is everything its claimed to be - cheap, and stunning food. The owner Auntie Tim is a character! Try some of the smaller food stalls and you will find the locals friendly and willing to help decode the items on offer. Opposite Chote Chitr on the corner is a cafe which has great Thai ice tea and a great view of the manic old town streets for about 25 Baht.

The Bhuthorn is a reflection of the owner, Chitlada in that is warm, gracious and welcoming. If you are looking for something low key, different and totally Bangkok then stay here. I cannot wait to see what Tha Asadang will be like.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo