“Simply fantastic!”

Ranked #88 of 667 Bangkok B&B and Inns
South Pasadena, California
“Simply fantastic!”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I recently spent a few nights at The Bhuthorn which is located in the old town of Bangkok, very close to all the tourist sights. The warm smiles of the staff are very impressive. They were welcoming and a tremendous help when I was trying to decide where to walk in the old town area of Bangkok by offering some wonderful suggestions. Breakfast was excellent and the proprietors were very friendly and helpful. My room was very tastefully decorated. Everything was spotlessly clean. I would definitely return to The Bhuthorn and recommend it highly. Would definitely stay there again if in the area.
A big thank you for that!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Alan K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I am comparing this B & B to others and unfortunately it needs to offer more to warrant staying number one and charge the prices it does. This is a beautifully restored residence in old Bangkok however it is lacking.

The positives. It is close to the Palace and if you are there in the afternoon you may be lucky enough to enjoy mango and sticky rice.

The negatives. It is not a known hotel or in a known area and even with the map, taxis and tuk tuks find it difficult to find. Once the owner leaves the premises of an afternoon there is no one in the area to be able to interpret with staff. Thank goodness for a laptop and getting it to interpret English to Thai. There are no coffee or tea making facilities and even getting a cup of coffee from staff returned a negative response after 5PM. There are no amenities other than TV available. The room downstairs is small and the bathroom tiny with broken tiles on the floor. You are able to hear any conversation from the people upstairs. Beware the cockroaches you could possibly put a saddle on them and enter them in the Melbourne Cup. If you go on any tours that may leave outside of their breakfast hours bad luck. Most other B&B or hotels will at least pack something for you. Some tours in Bangkok require you leaving at 6AM.

So all in all. For the price I would probably pick somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank ceejaybeeaust
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 September 2011

There isn't much else to say that adds to other reviews, The Bhuthorn is really a wonderfully hidden place in Bangkok that is a world apart from the high rise, international hotels that all look the same. One suggestion...request a room on the higher floors to avoid the mosquitos. Even with various, creative ways to eliminate them, they seemed particularly bad in the ground floor.
We will definitely return!

Room Tip: higher floors may have less mosquitos
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NTinDE
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Hidden little oasis in china town, perfect for those who want the real Thai experience, perfect host, can't wait to go back. We stayed over new years eve, truly the best time of our lives! Only 1 thing, print off a map to give to taxi drivers and tuk tuks, no one can ever seem to find
it, but you will get to know area and will be as to recognise and direct yourselves. Jo & max, Wolverhampton, England, we stayed for 3 nights over new years this year. Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2010
montreal
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Our visit to Bangkok was perfect, beeing at these charming hotel, walking distances from the palace, chao praya river, flower market, in a authentique thai aerea. Close enough to everything and at the same time, far away from tourists mass , surrounded by klongs,
Breakfast is delicious, always with a thai touch, refreshments in afternoon are welcome, lemongrass ice tea mmiam
The smell of jasmin flowers perfect.
The only thing is mattress are hard, but after a month in thailande, i think is just the way they enjoy sleeping, hard mattress...
thanks ''the bhutorn'' and their kind service

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claudia_QTZ
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We spent 10 days on a deserted beach and on our way back to Amsterdam we stayed at the Bhuthorn (google search). After our relaxed holiday, Bangkok was crazy busy. We loved the quiet backstreet the Bhuthorn is located at. The owner is super helpful (finding taxi, providing useful information etc.) and the staff is very friendly and love to practice their English.
A top stay, in a top part of town, close to all the great sights.
Thanks!

Room Tip: We only had the downstairs room which was great, because it was very cool in hot humid Bangkok.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Minneapolis
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I stayed at the Bhuthorn for 4 nights after a trip to Bhutan. It was wonderful but not perfect.

I was in Salpasart. The room was gorgeous and lovely for 1 person for 4 nights. It would have been crowded for 2 people. The a/c was more then adequate. The bed excellent. The breakfasts fabulous. The staff so, so, helpful. I was solo for 3 of my 4 days there and they kept an eye on me. I'm not a person who needs watching but in the heat and intensity of Bangkok I welcomed their attention to my schedule.

I was in Bangkok 10 years ago with a friend and had forgotten how difficult it can be to communicate with people, especially taxi drivers! Not to mention the scammers. Having been there before I wasn't going to the big tourist attractions, more the off the beaten track sites, which made it more challenging,especially solo. After 1 frustrating experience I asked to have all my destinations for the day written in Thai and that solved the communication with taxi driver problem.

I used the private car option coming from the airport. Apparently the place is hard to find and even with gps the driver had to ask for directions. I'd planned to use the private car to return to the airport but without the finding the place problem it's much cheaper to use a regular taxi. The staff hailed a cab for me on the street for, I think, 500 BH. It was 3am and a thrilling ride to the airport. I had the impression that was the biggest fare the driver had ever been paid.

The not perfect part, Salpasart is downstairs, there is a room above. The first night I was there the occupants of that room were reasonably quiet. I heard them occasionally but it wasn't noisy. The remaining nights it was noisy above. The occupants were constantly dropping things on the floor which is very noisy below. They also spent a lot of time talking on the phone which was quite audible to me. Not to mention that all this was going on at weird hours.

Second not perfect - I never had breakfast in the minuscule little garden area. I was always seated somewhere else. I assume that's because a single person in the Salpasart gets less priority then those in the more expensive rooms above. It would have been considerate to put me in the garden for breakfast just once since I was there for 4 nights. Especially since the web site advertises the garden breakfast.

Even with the 2 not perfects, I really enjoyed my stay and very much appreciated the staff's attention to detail.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo