“Best on Khao San Road”

Dang Derm Hotel
Ranked #362 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
“Best on Khao San Road”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is probably the best place to stay on Khao San Road if you are looking for a good time. The rooms are trendy and comfortable. Free breakfast included is good.

the best part about this hotel is the good price and the awesome rooftop pool. Prices are quite steep at the pool, but apart from that its great!

Only negative thing is somebody stole my shorts at the pool :(

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have joined Trip Advisor souly to warn people about this hotel and its staff, I rely alot on TA for help so its time i payed my debt.

My girlfriend and I booked into the Dang Derm after seeing some very nice pictures on the internet, and thought it would be great treat to stay in a nice hotel before we left Thailand after staying in simple Bungalows etc, sadly the pictures were the nicest part.

But first i will start off with the nice positive points, the elevators are very fast, it has a pool area with some pretty righteous rap music playing, and there is a super secret back door into MacDonalds. Make note of this last point.

Being on Koh San we knew that it was a gamble with the nightime noise and sleeping, so asked for a quiet room, the guy that booked us in said it was no problem. Hazzaah

When we got to our "quite" room, it was right on the side of the building overlooking Koh San road. You would have had a quieter nights sleep in a war zone.

We soon found out that our toilet was blocked from the previous occupents, so evedently the cleaners did a thorough job there.

When we first arrived to the room the cleaners were still there, doors and windows open, extractor fan on in the bathroom, we soon found out why when we later retruned to the room, OH MY GOD THE SMELL!! we have been in thailand for two months and stayed in and smelled some smelly bathrooms and drains but this took your breath away, enough to make my girlfriend gag and retch. If you are crazy enough to stay here ask if they can put you a matress in the sewers for a fresher experiance.

Included is free breakfast in their restaurant, but i wouldnt bother going, the fact that its free still inst reason enough to eat there, gross cerial and grosser eggs, questionable "meat" origin. I think this may be why they have a door into MacDonalds, so you can go buy some better quality food. ;)

When the blessed day came to check out of our smelly vomit enducing room we were made to wait while a housekeeping lady checked our room (no doubt while wearing a gas mask) to see if there was anything they could charge us for, and low and behold one of our towels was dirty, OH GOD NOT DIRT!! This seems to be a recurring problem having read TravelBears review. So therefor because there was dirt on a towel they insisted it needed throwing away, and took towel ransom from our KEY deposit, but im sure the towel was just put in a washing machine and re used. We tried to protest but the person behind the desk was very rude and dismissive.

In short only stay here if you are a rodent, maybe you will make some friends with the rats i saw near the escelators, though you may unknowingly be tricked into canabalism if you eat the "meat" at breakfast, so maybe just eat the insects that i found in a bag of nuts we left in the room.

8 Thank AutoGoose

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Trust me when I say......DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PLACE!!

Ok so yeah the hotel rooms look pretty nice on the website and it's right in the middle of everything but you have plenty of other options for much less money.

Our stay here turned very sour very quickly.

In total we stayed here for 4 nights and I would not recommend staying here nor would I ever consider this place again! I will list the reasons why this place was so bad.

1. Staff - Completely rude!!! Although a few reception staff were helpful but not all. Especially the lady who checked us out in the morning on the 20th April. (I have never EVER had customer service like it)

2. Our room totally stank!!! It was gross! The drains smelt like they had not been cleaned or something was blocked.

3. ANTS IN OUR BED!!! I have no problem with ants and realise this is a tropical country but this could be helped if the beds were not on the floor. Although this seems cute, its a terrible idea as you get ants in your bed with you at night! (Room 5034)

4. Music was INCREDIBLY loud! We were supposed to be given a more quite room but this certainly was not the case. If you stay in this location expect music all night but not when the room is supposed to be more *quite*.

5. Unfortunately on our last night I was unwell and needed to go to the hospital at 2am. I went to reception to ask if they could organise me a taxi to the hospital and they said that I would have to go outside myself to find one. I told them I was sick but at no point did the receptionist ask if I was ok or if I needed anything.

6. When we checked out, going to point 1 we were asked to wait so they could check the room. They came down and said we had damaged a towel and made it dirty. We noticed that poor 3 girls was also experiencing the same thing. Because the towels were dirty they deducted 250baht from our key deposit. They said that they tried to wash it with washing powder (in the space of 2 minutes) and said that it would not come out. I don't need to explain to you why this is incredibly ridiculous! The towel was dirty because we had not been offered any new ones, clearly this is a money making scam!!!!

Before all this drama happened I had kindly explained to the lady with no fuss the situation with the room, just so they were aware of it for other guests. She barely acknowledged my comments and just carried on about her day. When the whole towel thing came up she was incredibly rude and said I had only made those comments to get out of paying for the towel!!

Anyway this review is getting a bit long now but please trust me when I say, you can get much better value for money else where! AVOID AVOID AVOID! Khaosan Road is full of places waiting to rip off tourists and this place is one of them!

Room Tip: If you decide to try this place, avoid room 5034
4 Thank TravelBear87
Portsmouth
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This was an average hotel, clean though and I´m surprised it did NOT have cockroaches the area around had plenty of them, The bed was on the floor and I struggle with that personally I ended up with a really sore right wrist from lowering my 100 kilo frame in and out of bed. Saying that it was comfortable and very clean. Great shower and safe in the room.
There is so much street food outside no wonder there are rats and cockroaches around the area, we were sat in the restaurant bar across the road from the hotel some people eating when a cat strolls in with a big black rat in its mouth and one evening when heading back to the hotel a black rat ran past my feet at the bottom of the escalators and disappeared into a hole in a water feature to the left. I don´t like cockroaches and there was a lot in the bar across the road from hotel scuttling around even running over some people feet. The pool area was very nice. I had breakfast once that was enough I would not bother.

Room Tip: We asked for rooms high up and to the back, there was some street parties (which were great) late af...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel and it is great. A beautiful hotel in a good area with a swimming pool on top of the hotel. The one person rooms are beautiful and clean and the breakfast in the morning is ok. The only thing where I can complain about is that the service for towels at the swimming pool is bad and the floor and beds at the swimming pool are bloody hot in the sun. You can't lay on it without a good towel otherwise you burn yourself !

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Dang Derm Hotel is great value and located slap bang in the middle of Khao San Road. It's a minute from your room to the some great shopping and mad nightlife. Accomodation is basic; clean and neat, a few funky smells here and there but that's Bangkok anyways. Staff were very helpful and all smiles. The roof top pool and bar is fantastic, great for chilling out in the afternoon after a busy day. Corridors can be a bit noisy in the early hours of the morning, and you'll definitely hear the thump of the many bars below you in your room. Nevertheless, a great spot to soak in the Bangkok buzz..... No complaints from me given what was paid and the fantastic location. Wifi worked great too. Breakfast was basic.

Room Tip: The higher the quieter I would think.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 2 April 2014

its on kao san road and therefore a bit noisy even if u get the rooms a bit back and not to the front but the great advantage is that u come out the hotel straight onto kao san road which is the backpackers paradise. breakfast was nice and included and they have a great swimmingpool on the roof top.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple