“The authentic Thai hotel has authentic Thai critters.”
Review of Dang Derm Hotel

Dang Derm Hotel
Ranked #358 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
New York City, New York
“The authentic Thai hotel has authentic Thai critters.”
Reviewed 27 January 2011

The location of this hotel is right in the heart of the very touristy Khaosan Road. At first glance this hotel was alright. I stayed there the first night I arrived in Bangkok, and returned to it after I had visited a region in the north. Upon my return to the Dang Derm hotel, I learned that I had roommates I wasn't informed about.

There was a decent sized roach supine on the floor. I took the cup they provided for the bottled water, and placed it over the roach. When room service came while I was out, the cup was back near the bottle and the roach was still on the floor. I called the front desk once. Then called again. And in a half hour, one of the housekeeping staff came to sweep it away.

I went to change my room and they switched me to the one across the hall. Upon first inspection, everything was fine. Later, as I was in the bathroom, a small roach scurried along the floor and hid in the dark space near the large overturned urn. A few curses later, I saw that I had another roach run from the balcony sliding door to under the fridge. I called the front desk. No one came. Went downstairs, and had to explain six different ways that I had roaches in my room. After words failed, I used pantomime to get my point across. They sent a woman up to spray the premises.

Later in the evening, a roach scurried from under the fridge and made it a considerable distance before it met the business end of my flip flop. I use the cup again to hold the thing captive. After another scan of the room, I carefully went to sleep.

Upon waking up in the morning, I went to brush my teeth. Near the sink, I noticed a tiny brown oval. After a close look, I realized it was a baby roach. Thoroughly dismayed I withdrew from the hotel and went to stay at the Royal.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Rijswijk, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Directly on Khao San Road, newish hotel with rooftop pool. Opposite of D&D Inn, same owner. Friendly reception, breakfast is ok. Price/Quality is very good. I had a quiet room on the backside, which was perfect, but if you;re looking for something quiet, then you better don't go to Khao San Road at all. The pool was great, except for the barman at the pool, who was only sleeping behind the bar with an 'I don't care' -attitude. In my opinion this gives a strange impression to hotelguests.
The rooms are fine, the beds are fine, in Thai style, on the ground.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed 4 November 2010

I recently stayed at Dang Derm for 3 nights with my boyfriend and two other friends in rooms across from one another. The hotel was lovely, it felt safe, the rooms were beautiful and I loved every moment (except for the variable aircon which fluctuated between freezing cold and boiling hot) and the free breakfast is okay, however only being available until 9:30am is just a little early while staying on Khao San Road! The rooftop pool is amazing and has a swim up bar with very reasonably priced drinks (open strictly 9am to 12am). Another benefit is the blackout sliding doors for use after a long night out on Khao San Road ;-)

Keep in mind that there are two sizes of balconies - one just large enough to relax on and one that you could barely step out on. Based on our two rooms (and the feedback of others) there are also quiet and noisy rooms, so be careful when shown a room to ensure that with the doors shut you get the silence you may require.

Our stay was wonderful until the crazy halloween night when someone threw a lit cigaratte over the balcony onto our Thai cushion that we had on the balcony to relax in the morning sun. Luckily my boyfriend was there and noticed the fire and quickly put out the fire with a bottle of water!

I immediately ran down to reception, told them our room number and explained how scared we were that someone was throwing lit cigarettes around (neither of us smoke). I then returned to the room to bring down the burnt cushion to show the damage to the night manager and suggested that he visit our room to view the damage done. Now, the night manager was lovely, however he did also have to contend with a drunk man who had knocked over a clay pot, so we agreed that he would detail the incident on the file for our room and discuss it with the manager in the morning.

The manager the next morning was incredibly rude to me and stated that we were not to take the cushions out on the balcony, therefore it was our responsibility. Hmmm...that's odd because I saw many other rooms doing the same thing to relax in the morning sunlight (and despite staying there three nights the cleaners never brought them inside nor did management mention this to us), so I asked the manager where the sign was stating that this was the case. The rude man turned around abruptly and refused to answer any more of my questions!

Because I was upset that I had done the correct thing and told the front desk immediately what had happened - hoping that our safety (and perhaps the safety of other guests) would be of concern to them - my boyfriend went down to discuss the issue with the manager as we were checking out.

Once again, no luck...the manager stated that the item was our responsibility and forced us to the pay for the cushion, not once apologising for the risk to us (and others) nor appreciating that it was actually pure luck that my boyfriend was awake in the middle of the night and able to see the fire to put it out. Instead we were forced to pay for the cushion at a highly inflated rate, incredibly more than the tourist prices for the cushions on the street below! Despite having emailed and called the hotel, I have had no reply, nor do I expect one. For 1100 baht a night on Khao San Road I truly did expect better.

What a shame that such a lovely hotel, with an amazing position, free breakfast and a beautiful rooftop swimming pool, was ruined by the result of the incident and attitute of the staff who made it a disappointing ending to our stay in Thailand.

Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aleerak
Ramat Gan, Israel
Reviewed 14 October 2010

the hotel is located at the beginning of khaosan st.
a big hotel with lots of rooms

the rooms are very spacious and good looking
quite clean (as our pillow didn't smell good but was replaced)
shower is big and comfortable

the best for me was the very big pool on the roof which is a huge relief in Bangkok city's huss and fuss

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mosheuzan
Legian, Indonesia
Reviewed 8 October 2010

For "Kao san" type of people, I guess it's OK for the price you pay. Although it looks nice design at first look, the bathroom never gets dry after you use shower making very yacky condition, even inhygenic in my opinion. There is a window but it's more like living in a cave... Spent 2 nights but my room was never cleaned. 60 Baht for internet for 1 hour, which is much cheaper to go to internet cafe... All in all, I would never recommend this hotel to anyone....

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank babstk

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 October 2010

This hotel is in a perfect location bang in the centre of Khao San Road - which means no need for taxi's or tuc tuc's to enjoy the night life which when it gets dark never ends....
The hotel itself is grand & for 850 baht (€21) per night & a swimming pool on the roof what more do you want. It is great if you are travelling through as I spent 2 nights here. The breakfast is basic but when you go out at night you don't always make breakfast. What's the story with the bed on the floor?? The only fault I had with it was that after travelling all day you want a quick check in but this seems to take about 20 minutes & also there is a charge of 500 Baht (€12.50) if you bring someone back to the room what's that all about...Other than that well recommended...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2010

This extra spend gave us a fresh head.
The room 10/10
The buffet breakfast 6/10
The shower 10/10
The bed 7/10 (because it's on the floor - personal pref)
Staff - 8/10 (Robot like)
Entrance - 10/10
Air con with room - standard
Door key - Card 10/10
Roof top pool - 10/10*
Bag for storage- Yes
Lift -Yes
Towel in room
Clean bed
Clean room
Location : On Khao san road : Ask for a quite room / otherwise noisy!!!!!!!!!!!
TV in room :Yes
Price : 6/10
Overall : 91%

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple