“Average Hotel in Bangkok”

Miramar Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #641 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Some friends and I stayed at the Miramar while competing in the Bangkok marathon, and we chose the hotel based on its location close to the starting line. The hotel was basic, nothing more, nothing less. The room was clean, but could definitely use a spruce up. The bed was rather firm, but the shower had excellent water pressure. I did not get the breakfast included option, but we ate dinner at the restaurant the night before and the two Thai dishes I had were tasty. The area directly around the hotel seemed to have very little nightlife. It was around a 10 minute walk to the Grand Palace and the starting line, very manageable. All in all, our stay at the Miramar served its purpose, but I wouldn't go rushing back. There are nicer hotels in Bangkok for a similar price, in more convenient and entertaining locations. Also important to note: As of November 2013 there was night construction taking place directly across the street from the Miramar. Although I managed some sleep, I could hear loud banging at times, and the noise of cranes. If you stay here, request a room that does not face soi Mahachai.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We were on our honeymoon, and we had a flight to our hometown the next day. We needed a hotel that allowed 24 hours checkout as our flight was in the evening, which is why we chose Miramar. A travel agent helped us book a room, and the booking clearly mentioned "Hotel Timings: Check out 24 hrs" (screenshot attached). We checked in at around 7:30 PM, and verified the 24 hour checkout with the receptionist, which she confirmed. In spite of this, we were thrown out of the hotel the next day at 12 PM by some lady who called herself the manager. She was very rude, and she claimed that we were not eligible for a 24 hour checkout, because we booked the room through a travel agent. When we said that we had checked with the receptionist the previous night, she made us speak to her, who of course claimed that she had never mentioned a 24 hour checkout. We weren't even allowed to speak to our travel agent. You can imagine the inconvenience, with all our bags. The rest of the hotel staff looked guilty and couldn't raise their eyes, which reconfirmed the fact that something was fishy. We could only assume that they wanted to check in a huge group of people (we could see tonnes of luggage near the reception), and they wanted to vacate rooms for them.

Bangkok is considered to be one of the most hospitable places, and my husband had lived there for 3 years. He was more than disappointed. This was our honeymoon, and we wanted to leave the city with sweet memories, but our last experience was the most bitter one, and one we will never forget. We felt cheated. We are never going to Miramar again, and we would never recommend it to anyone either.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank ipshita_borkakati
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Maybe shouldn't be 3 and a half star, but just 3.

We stayed as a family of 4 and the deal (USD90 per night) suited us to have 1 family room with 2 king beds.

The room was clean, and the service very basic, hence I think it should be 3* only.

The breakfast was included and was just OK. There is no pool, not that one was advertised.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew D
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The hotel is at a good location near China Town.
The rooms are good and the staff is really friendly. Especially at the reception.
The restaurant is quite expensive comparing with other places in Bangkok but the food is good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed at the Miramar Hotel from the 12th - 17th August 2013. WE normally stay just down the road at the Grand de Ville but they were shut for refurbishment. We alweays stay in this location when in nBangkok as we are visiting family living there.

The location is perfect for China Town, the temples and markets. The new under ground is under construction outside, so the hotel will only get busyier when it is open.

We booked a family room for three of us, it was very big with 2 king size beds plus 2 settee's coffee table, fridge and coffee making facilities with a payable minibar. (It's cheaper to go to the 7 - 11 over the road and bring drinks back and put in the fridge.

The air con was great, it could be controlled in either half of the room. Over the beds and or the seating area. The beds were very firm, they would suit some people more than others. The bathroom was small but usable with a shower over the bath, the only thing was even with the curtain in the bath, water still flooded the floor.

While we were there, many coach party's turned up late at night, hence there was some noise late into the night. It seemed to be an overnight stop over hotel.

Free Wifi was available, but only in the lobby, hence there were many people there sat talking on their smart phones or tablets.

The reception staff were limited in English speaking, it seamed only about 2 could understand you. Value for money you could not knock it. The only thing I would say is, if you are expecting a good breakfast give it a miss. Breakfast consists of bread / toast, fried eggs, some form of sausage I have never seen or tasted before, coffee and what is supposed to be fruit juice but I suspect it to be squash. Outside and down the road is dozens of street vendors selling much tastier food for about 20 -30 Bhat.

As always in Bangkok, if taking a taxi or tut tut, agree a price and or ensure the metre is switched on. If they don't turn it on get out of the car. You can cross Bangkok for under 100 bhat

Room Tip: Family room is a good sized room, we stayed in 420
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Phil C
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Miramar could've been so much more!

The pros:
1) The location is amazing. I could walk from here to Grand Palace. I could see Golden Mount from my room. For vegetarians looking for Arawy Restaurant on Thanon Dinso, you can actually walk there. Locals might even tell you of a short cut through the parking lot of a building nearby.
2) The lady - I think her name was Chet? - was really kind, helpful and clear in her instructions.
3) The room was alright. It was a little dark.
4) Restaurant manager was a really kind man. My mum was ill from all the walking on Day 1 and we missed our buffet breakfast by 30mins, so he arranged for a vegetarian breakfast cooked specially for her and toast and eggs for me.
5) Both Check-In and Check-Out were quick and fuss-free.
6) Go out, turn left and walk down the street in the opposite direction of the traffic. Look for a shop called King's Optical. The uncle working there speaks good English, can direct you well and he sells all sorts of old-school, Grandpa's-era's spectacles and sunglasses. Also has new, fancy stuff. The pavement is torn up all the way to his doorstep. =(
7) From King's Optical, walk further down until you come to an umbrella/parasol shop. Don't worry about spending too much on a UV Protection umbrella/parasol. You will need it. Trust me, its the same price as the ones in Singapore and SO MUCH BETTER QUALITY.

The cons:
1) The walls of both the room and the bathroom looked old.
2) The towels have been cleaned but you could smell chlorine or whatever disinfectant they used in the wash.
3) The hotel shampoo and bath soap came in two tiny bottles, so I bought my own shampoo and used the handsoap for bathing instead.
4) We could use with some "Nearby Attractions" pamplets or at least a map of how to walk to the nearby attractions.
5) The area is now being torn apart for building of MRT or something, so most taxi drivers don't even want to drop by. Some drivers appear to be surprised by the map on the back of the name card. They don't seem to know the English words or the location!
6) The road outside Miramar is a one-way road. Which means the taxi or tuktuk drivers may not want to U-turn and you may be dropped off opposite the hotel, where you have to cross the road at a zebra-crossing. Have fun!
7)Traffic jams almost all the time. I have not seen the road being clear during the time I have been there. If you are checking out and rushing to the airport, you have to leave early. The bellboy could help get a cab but his luck depends on the traffic too.

Rant warning!
Major gripe I had about this hotel had nothing to do with the hotel but some of the guests from tour groups who were staying the night.

*ahem*

I get it that you are excited about Bangkok, ok? I hope you get it that running up and down the hallway, squealing and giggling, is not very considerate to other guests. I also hope you get it that sunny-side up eggs are supposed to be soft. Don't poke every single egg and ask why they are all soft! SERIOUSLY?!

Rant over.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tammyhana
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I was very happy with the Miramar. Room clean, staff very friendly. Good location if you want to walk to Grand Palace, Reclining Buddha, Golden Mountain, Khao San Road, Chao Phraya River, etc. They don't have brochures or info on "what to do" so make sure you do your homework before you get there. Strong free wi-fi in lobby. Massage available on-site.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo