“My New Address in Bangkok”

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Ranked #44 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Going forward, this Renaissance will be my address whenever in Bangkok. High tech rooms, excellent health club, awesome food and consistently great service delivered by genuinely nice staff.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,593)

Reviewed 9 November 2011

This was my first stay at this property… not sure how it escaped my attention. I usually have stayed at the Hyatt Erawan, but their rates have climbed of late. Got a great rate here, and was pleasantly surprised. This is a very new property, can’t be more than a couple years old. Modern, spacious lobby, although I found the bar area a bit noisy when I tried to have a drink with a colleague there.

I was upgraded to the Concierge level, so was less than ten meters from my room to the Concierge Lounge. VERY NICE. Excellent breakfast, and a terrific evening array of foods and drinks.

The room was very well executed, and a supremely comfy bed. Nice view over the Hyatt and the Horse Track. There’s a huge hole in the ground adjacent, so if that gets built, it’ll kill the view from that side of the hotel. But, that hole’s been there for several years, so not to worry just now. Spacious bathroom.

Great location, as it’s only a two minute walk to the BTS Chitlom station, putting a lot of Bangkok almost at your doorstep… this is why I’d preferred the Hyatt previously. (Once they complete the elevated walkway from the Ren to BTS, it'll be even nicer.

So, fully on par with the Hyatt, but at a fraction of the cost. Score!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I have recently returned home from a four country trip through Asia, which began with a stay at the Renaissance Bangkok. I absolutely loved this hotel. Since it was my first trip to Thailand, I did a lot of research on Bangkok hotels. But it seemed like for every rave review I would find on any particular hotel, there would be an equal amount of luke warm reviews - and not just a few horror stories. And that included the big five star chains. I had actually resigned myself to the fact that you cannot get a true high end hotel experience in Bangkok.

Well, I could not have been more wrong. The Renaissance was wonderful. Great location, very nice rooms and everything about the place seemed new and modern. But without question, as many of the other reviewers have pointed out, the best thing about the hotel was the service. From the concierge to the reception staff to the waitresses in the RBar, everyone was charming, eager to help and very knowledgeable.

As a first time traveler to Bangkok, I needed a lot of help: Is there a good coffee shop around here (I hate Starbucks)? Where can I go for a great Thai lunch? Are there any good jazz bars in Bangkok? Where's the best place to see Muay Thai? I was a pain in the butt. But the staff actually seemed to enjoy helping and coming up with suggestions. And if the place I chose required a taxi, someone would either write out the directions in Thai or step out front a speak to the driver directly. And they would always follow up the next day and ask me if I enjoyed where ever it was they recommended.

I realize that these things should be standard service in a four or five star hotel, but I find that to be less and less the case these days. And, of course, the outstanding service went far beyond helping me find places to eat, drink, listen to music and watch Thai fighters beat the hell out of each other. Everything about the place seemed centered around providing a stress free environment, while still making sure the guests had everything they needed (whether those needs were food, fun or business). In the end, there was just something about the genuine warmth and polite enthusiasm of the Renaissance crew that made the experience really stand out for me.

My next stop was the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, with its spectacular SkyPark atop the 57th floor. But the truth was, I didn't want to leave Thailand and the lovely Renaissance Bangkok. My instincts were right. At literally four times the cost, the Marina Bay Sands was a definite step down from the amenities and personalized service of the Renaissance.

I can't wait to get back to Thailand. And this time, I won't have to research hotels for Bangkok. I miss the Renaissance already.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank robert s
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Amazing hotel, location, and service. The first night we had to switch rooms due to a connecting room which I'm never a big fan. So later in the night we kept hearing foot steps and other random noises. So we ask to be moved to a regular room that's not a connecting room. Overall very very satisfied, love the grand buffet breakfast must stay here AGAIN!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank yomigz
Reviewed 17 October 2011

The location of this hotel is great. It is located in front of Chit Lom Station. Easy to access to rest of Bangkok by Sky Train. The Sky Train is easy and very cheap to use. I would not recommend using Airport Express and Sky Train as thought it would be easy to get to hotel. Getting there is not bad but there are way too many stairs at Sky Train stations to be useful. It is cheap at only THB45 for Airport Express.

The staff here are typical of your warm Thai hospitality. Everyone is lovely and very friendly.

The deluxe room I got had king bed. The bathroom is extremely large. It has a stand alone tub and shower with two shower heads and a seat! Very comfortable and bed is really good.

I tried the room service and was delivered promptly. Delicious and pretty good value for hotel prices.

The fitness centre is very modern and well equipped with great workout equipment. The pool is relaxing. It is indoor but open on the sides so quite good.

I highly recommend this property as a top notch hotel but very modern and not too traditional.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank rc33
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights with family. At check in we were taken to club lounge to continue the formalities, which was a good start. Allocated a corner room on 22nd floor which was large with plenty of room for a rollaway bed for our 6 year old and exceptionally clean with a beautiful large bathroom.All very modern with clean lines and nice decor.
Cub lounge was fantastic with a great ambience and good choice of food and drink, staff were exceptionally nice making us feel very welcome and they always found time to interact with my son which was nice considering how busy they were.
We chose to take breakfast in the main restaurant and it was very good with great choices and a very popular fruit and veg smoothie bar.
Didn't particularly like the pool area on the 23rd floor, I think the hotel would benefit from a proper outdoor pool or sun deck .
Hotel in a good location a few minutes walk from BTS station which gives access to all areas of this vibrant city.
Overall an excellent well appointed exceptionally clean hotel with a great club lounge in a convenient location, only small issue being the lack of outdoor pool/sun deck. If in BKK for a few days then highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 6467karen
Reviewed 14 October 2011

This hotel only opened last year so I might have expected some teething problems, but everything worked from the elevators to the cappucinos at breakfast. And the freshly squeezed smoothies at breakfast made from a number of fresh fruits and vegies were very special. I had yoghurts every day as well as plenty of variety at breakfast, from miso soup with Japanese food to korean kimchi through to dimsum or eggs benedict. Everything was possible. The pool was excellent, cool but refreshing and definately not busy. Rooms were large comfortable and well appointed from comfortable beds and pillows through to large wardrobes, safes and LCD screens.

Room Tip: I had an entry level room on L12 and I really could not fault it. It had everything I wanted except...