“Perfect, relaxing hotel in the heart of busy Bangkok”

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Ranked #46 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed here with my husband in December 2011 in a Deluxe Guest room. I cannot stress this enough - the hotel is exactly like what you see in the professional photographs. Here's a quick list of the pros:
1. Gorgeous, gorgeous decor in the lobby and your room. The bathroom with the clear walls - sounds crazy, but it made the hotel room seem so much larger.
2. Beautiful pool with great view.
3. Big gym on the same floor as the pool & spa. Lots of machines.
4. Incredibly helpful staff - probably the best I've ever encountered during my travels. They were able to recommend restaurants, make reservations, arrange for a last-minute tour of the floating markets, and even reschedule/rebook one of our connecting flights to Koh Samui.
5. Centrally located next to the Chit Lom stop.

And the cons:
1. Like other reviewers have mentioned, the pool is cold.
2. Expensive transfer from the hotel - so we ended up taking a cab, which was around 350 baht. It would be nice if the hotel arranged for group shuttle buses, since it's part of the larger Marriott chain.

Conclusion:
I would absolutely, ABSOLUTELY stay here again on my next trip to Bangkok.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and are quieter. We were on the 12th floor and it was super quiet.
2  Thank tylerette

Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in January and the hotel is great. The pool is really cool, the internet was fast, the staff in the lobby/out front are amazing.

Pros:
- Good location, nice area
- Very new hotel, great pool as mentioned, amazing hotel gym (best I have ever been in) Treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, free weights and a machine circuit.

Cons:
- Booked the Thailand resident rate somehow even though I put in my Canadian address and got screwed when I showed up, had to pay an extra 1500 Baht per night or find somewhere else to stay (it was 10pm...) Thought they could get me a lower rate if they wanted too
- Bathroom is a little weird with being all enclosed with glass, but also it looked cool

We took a cab both ways, on the way there the guy drove slower than my Grandma and it cost 470 Baht. On the way back the cabbie turned off his meter when we left the hotel and said "400 Baht, tolls in"... I said OK as it was clearly cheaper than I paid on the way in. However he then drove 130 km/hr the whole way...

We ate breakfast at a good bagel store right out front of the hotel and had lunch in one of the malls across the street, best/cheapest lunch I have ever had. $4 for 2 cokes and 2 pad thais.

Our room was pretty high up and facing the golf course which was a great view for the area I think.

Overall, even with the increased price I would likely stay here again and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Higher rooms would obviously be better
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is a thoroughly enjoyable hotel, from its stylish lobby to the outstanding appointments in its guestrooms. Despite the bland exterior architecture of this skyscraper building, the Renaissance impresses from the start with its stylish and comfortable lobby and, in particular, its friendly and helpful desk staff. Everyone seemed to go the extra mile here, from the concierge (inexplicably called the "Navigator") who not only called a restaurant to get us a table but (unasked) wrote out instructions in Thai in case we decided to take a cab, to the doorman who made several excellent recommendations about sights to see. The nightly turndown, which we happened to witness one evening, was performed almost ritualistically, the two employees asking us repeatedly what else they could do for us. As other reviewers have noted, the sleek and state-of-the-art rooms, while not particularly large, are models of modern hotel decoration, with so many different kinds of lights that nearly any mood can be created. One set of lights illuminated the underside of the bedside tables (revealing that every corner of the room was spotlessly clean); another was positioned to illuminate the ornamental gong next to the desk. The desk itself was a rare case of a usable work space in a hotel room. The bathroom, set off from the bedroom by enormous windows (with electronic shades for privacy) and featuring a huge stall shower, was also beautifully appointed. As others have noted, the top floor features a dazzling pool and spa.

In addition to congratulating ourselves on our choice of hotel, we were also pleased with the location. Ratchaprasong is ideally located in the middle of the city; the Sky Train stops in front of the hotel, giving access to most tourist destinations. Those major sights not on the mass transit system, such as the Grand Palace, are a relatively easy taxi ride away. Most of the city's major shopping centers and much of its nightlife are within walking distance. Not to be missed is the nearby Jim Thompson House, an excellent small museum giving a window onto 20th century Bangkok history (and also featuring an excellent restaurant). Although we did not dine at the hotel, we did enjoy its coffee bar (conveniently set in a small pavilion next to the Sky Train). In all, this is a superb effort; Renaissance would do well to duplicate this hotel elsewhere in the world.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lit-traveler
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We enjoyed our time at this property. The service from the staff was fantastic. They were helpful, friendly and timely. Breakfast was good. The rooms we nice and clean. The pool water was cold though, did not make for a pleasant swim. Would stay at this place again. Enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank nrez
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Renaissance over our wedding anniversary and it was completely fantastic. It lives up to it's trendiest hotel award from travellers choice as the rooms are awesome. I spent 3 days oohing and taking pics for our future house renovation!

Funky fittings included a gorgeous bath, fabrics and super stylish swimming pool on the top floor. Gym is open 24/7 (good for those with jet lag) and the breakfast was the best we've had on our 9-month trip by a mile.

The hotel is location a short tuk tuk/cab ride from Siam Centre/MBK and the MRT. Don't be put off by the pedestrian entrance through the car park!

2  Thank The_Hoffs_11
Reviewed 13 January 2012

The Renaissance is modern with an excellent location. I have stayed at this property three times in the past 2 months. I am a Marriot Member spending many nights in Marriott’s and their affiliate hotel chains globally .

The first 2 stays were 2 Nights and being on business you do not tend to use the amenities in the hotel as much as you would for a 4-5 day break.

Now having experienced the hotel.
The staff is young and in some instances need to learn how to handle the guests in a more professional manner.

I stayed in a Studio Suite for 5 nights, requested extra towels, each day had to make the same request, when the room was serviced, no toilet paper replaced or tissues .The room attendant left a bag of ice on my wife’s suitcase, the ice melted and the clothes were wet, on telling the front desk when we left for dinner on our return 2 hours later they issue had not been attended to.

On the last day of our stay in the Hotel , I requested a late check out ,I believe I am entitled to this ,due to the level of my Marriott membership based on room being available ,which they were.

The experience encountered when requesting a late checkout, from the young gentleman at the front desk was un professional and his manner had a lot to be desired. The impression left on the guest by the front desk in the Hotel and how the guest’s requirements are handled especially on the day of checkout leave the guest with a feeling of an enjoyable stay or one of upset .The latter was my experience.

I personally like the hotel ,the rooms are excellent and generally the service is very good. The management needs to make sure the staff are more professional and that their attitude is in line with a 5 star Hotel especially one of this standard.

Bangkok has many 5 star hotels and the traveler has many options to choose from, I would like to think that this hotel would be on my list of the options to stay in this city.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed 3 nights over the new year weekend, the hotel is located next to Chitlom metro station, it is only few steps away from Erawan Shrine, the famous and popular tourist attraction for both local and visitors, across the road is Central World and Big C shopping mall, where the count down took place at the area.

We had purchased the upgrade package at 1700bath++ per night, the package might be good for those who like to enjoy club lounge with alcohol beverage and hi-tea break in the afternoon, it will inclusive of breakfast as well as complementary WIFI access and other benefits. We were told we have been upgraded to bigger room however, our room was facing directly to another office building, we have to keep our curtain close for whole day, as the view is clearly visible by the opposite unit. We didn't spend much time in the hotel, as the activities outside the hotel was much interesting than spending time in the hotel.

We would rate this hotel with 5 rating if we didn't upgrade, as our initial booking has inclusive breakfast, we both agree we should not spend the extra money and get the so call upgraded service

The card key system is not sensitive to the reader, we changed our door keys more than 4 times within our 3 nights stay. It was frustrated to us as we always have problem accessing the lift by pressing our floor level. It was not working to get our room open too and force to go down to counter for card replacing again. We were not alone as we saw some hotel guest has similar problem when trying to insert the card in the lift. The management of the hotel should look for better solution for card system or get a better reader to resolve this card reader problem.

Tips: Marriott member will be entitled for complementary WIFI access, apply it before check in, otherwise you will need to pay for the usage if it is not part of the your hotel booking.

Room Tip: avoid facing another building and ask for higher floor - above 13 floor
1  Thank GL_trip