“Great Location and Service”

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Ranked #48 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
United States
“Great Location and Service”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a little less than a week and loved it.
I arrived late to the hotel late at night, and everyone working at the front desk was extremely pleasant and helpful (I asked a lot of questions). The hotel location is great, right by the skytrain and walkable to various shopping areas.
The hotel and rooms are really modern, no complaints there...although the hallways seemed a little too dim for my personal taste.
The gym was amazing... being able to jog on the treadmill and look out onto Bangkok was great motivation. The pool was also beautiful, unfortunately I didn't have time to take advantage of it.
If you have a chance to experience the club lounge, I highly recommend it. They have a happy hour that starts at 4:30 and ends around 8, which is perfect if you want to have a glass and aren't sure when you'll be back at the hotel. The food on the club level was also really good. I also checked out the breakfast and lunch buffets and was very impressed in the types of food offered, including fresh fruit that can be freshly juiced for a refreshing glass of juice.
Service all over the hotel was fantastic and I look forward to staying here again the next time I'm in Bangkok.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vilnius
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Luxurious hotel, thought modern but very cozy. Bravo, designer!
Rooms are without any troubles.
Girl - consergie was very smart and helpful. We were very satisfied with her advices.
Hotel located in chick district of Bankok.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Gothenburg
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Spent three nights at this hotel together with my lovely GF. A friend of mine and his wife also joined us for the last night. We were all impressed with the service and class of this hotel. I'm a Marriott Rewards Gold Member so we did get upgrades but I also stay in many hotels not of the Marriott brand every year and I can honestly say that this place is one of the better business hotels I have had the pleasure of staying at.

I'm not sure if the hotel is too new to be widely known or if our taxi driver from the airport was entirely clueless but locating the hotel was a bit tricky. The hotel's own parking lot kind of makes the 'Renaissance' sign more difficult to notice. With that taken care of however we were quickly ushered in by the staff that ran out to meet us. From this moment and the next three days it felt like I never got to open a door or carry a piece of luggage anywhere within the premises of the hotel. The staff was always their, without being intrusive.

The rooms with their pink and purple colors felt very trendy, new and not like something in a stuffy business hotel at all. I recently stayed in the Singapore Marriott previously to our stay at the Rennaissance Ratchaprasong. and while also a good hotel the decor in the Singapore Marriott as with many other business hotels is usually boorishly conservative. not so at the Ren which had obvious boutique hotel influences and lots of interesting uses of color and technical functions that kept surprising.

The excellent staff which I already mentioned had a good command of English (not something you can take for granted in Thailand) and did not seem to know how to say 'no'. Everything I asked about or for during the week was answered or seen to with speed and accuracy. The only things we could complain about were one room service order to the pool taking 40 minutes and that our free Gold breakfast could only be had in the lounge and not downstairs at the Flavors restaurant. We also felt that the selection at the breakfast buffet in the lounge was a little sparse but that might have also been due to the fact that we didn't touch the Asian breakfast items which made up a larger portion of the selection.

My GF also didn't like the 'curtain' solution that the bathroom had (see the pictures) which I thought was a cool way of making the room bigger (ie not needing walls for the bathroom). To each his own.

All in all we were very pleased with the Ren Ratchaprasong and I wouldn't hesitate to come back could I get the same price.

Room Tip: As with most Marriott related hotels - The higher the floor, the swankier the room.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Location is perfect, minutes' walk away to the major malls and Chitlom skytrain station. It's set back from the main road, so the premise is quiet.
The decor in the hotel is beautiful from the foyer in front of the hotel (during Christmas) right through to the bedroom, the gym and the spa rooms.
Room well lit. The bedding plush and very comfortable. The glass partitions between the bedroom and bathroom give a great sense of space to the room. And water does not leak from the shower area! The toiletries were generously replenished twice daily. There's also very generous storage space in the room!!
Minor complaints: aircond was a little noisy (at maximum fan speed and minimum temp), very few sports channels on TV, breakfast spread limited, spa treatment not commensurate with the beauty of the spa room.
Try the Chinese restaurnat Fei Ya, dim sum was excellent!
My 6-night stay was interrupted with a visit to the country. Upon my return to check in for the second time, the concierge recognised me straight away. He brought me my stored luggage and returned the iphone charger I didn't even realised I left in the room. Bravo!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Kennethinkl
New York
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed here with my husband in December 2011 in a Deluxe Guest room. I cannot stress this enough - the hotel is exactly like what you see in the professional photographs. Here's a quick list of the pros:
1. Gorgeous, gorgeous decor in the lobby and your room. The bathroom with the clear walls - sounds crazy, but it made the hotel room seem so much larger.
2. Beautiful pool with great view.
3. Big gym on the same floor as the pool & spa. Lots of machines.
4. Incredibly helpful staff - probably the best I've ever encountered during my travels. They were able to recommend restaurants, make reservations, arrange for a last-minute tour of the floating markets, and even reschedule/rebook one of our connecting flights to Koh Samui.
5. Centrally located next to the Chit Lom stop.

And the cons:
1. Like other reviewers have mentioned, the pool is cold.
2. Expensive transfer from the hotel - so we ended up taking a cab, which was around 350 baht. It would be nice if the hotel arranged for group shuttle buses, since it's part of the larger Marriott chain.

Conclusion:
I would absolutely, ABSOLUTELY stay here again on my next trip to Bangkok.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and are quieter. We were on the 12th floor and it was super quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tylerette
Vancouver
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in January and the hotel is great. The pool is really cool, the internet was fast, the staff in the lobby/out front are amazing.

Pros:
- Good location, nice area
- Very new hotel, great pool as mentioned, amazing hotel gym (best I have ever been in) Treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, free weights and a machine circuit.

Cons:
- Booked the Thailand resident rate somehow even though I put in my Canadian address and got screwed when I showed up, had to pay an extra 1500 Baht per night or find somewhere else to stay (it was 10pm...) Thought they could get me a lower rate if they wanted too
- Bathroom is a little weird with being all enclosed with glass, but also it looked cool

We took a cab both ways, on the way there the guy drove slower than my Grandma and it cost 470 Baht. On the way back the cabbie turned off his meter when we left the hotel and said "400 Baht, tolls in"... I said OK as it was clearly cheaper than I paid on the way in. However he then drove 130 km/hr the whole way...

We ate breakfast at a good bagel store right out front of the hotel and had lunch in one of the malls across the street, best/cheapest lunch I have ever had. $4 for 2 cokes and 2 pad thais.

Our room was pretty high up and facing the golf course which was a great view for the area I think.

Overall, even with the increased price I would likely stay here again and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Higher rooms would obviously be better
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is a thoroughly enjoyable hotel, from its stylish lobby to the outstanding appointments in its guestrooms. Despite the bland exterior architecture of this skyscraper building, the Renaissance impresses from the start with its stylish and comfortable lobby and, in particular, its friendly and helpful desk staff. Everyone seemed to go the extra mile here, from the concierge (inexplicably called the "Navigator") who not only called a restaurant to get us a table but (unasked) wrote out instructions in Thai in case we decided to take a cab, to the doorman who made several excellent recommendations about sights to see. The nightly turndown, which we happened to witness one evening, was performed almost ritualistically, the two employees asking us repeatedly what else they could do for us. As other reviewers have noted, the sleek and state-of-the-art rooms, while not particularly large, are models of modern hotel decoration, with so many different kinds of lights that nearly any mood can be created. One set of lights illuminated the underside of the bedside tables (revealing that every corner of the room was spotlessly clean); another was positioned to illuminate the ornamental gong next to the desk. The desk itself was a rare case of a usable work space in a hotel room. The bathroom, set off from the bedroom by enormous windows (with electronic shades for privacy) and featuring a huge stall shower, was also beautifully appointed. As others have noted, the top floor features a dazzling pool and spa.

In addition to congratulating ourselves on our choice of hotel, we were also pleased with the location. Ratchaprasong is ideally located in the middle of the city; the Sky Train stops in front of the hotel, giving access to most tourist destinations. Those major sights not on the mass transit system, such as the Grand Palace, are a relatively easy taxi ride away. Most of the city's major shopping centers and much of its nightlife are within walking distance. Not to be missed is the nearby Jim Thompson House, an excellent small museum giving a window onto 20th century Bangkok history (and also featuring an excellent restaurant). Although we did not dine at the hotel, we did enjoy its coffee bar (conveniently set in a small pavilion next to the Sky Train). In all, this is a superb effort; Renaissance would do well to duplicate this hotel elsewhere in the world.

2 Thank Lit-traveler