“Decent room, nice lobby, friendly staff & great location”

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Ranked #46 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I tend not to take the taxi when I am in BKK because of the bad traffic and staying at a hotel right next to the train station and all the shoppings makes traveling around Bangkok a lot easier and more enjoyable.

THe hotel opened 2 years ago, and everything is still in a very good condition. I got a junior suite and it had a decent size and a good view. The lobby is very trendy and the staff are all very friendly, especially the clean lady on my floor. She greeted me with a real smile every time she saw me.

The swimming pool is nice, but I'd prefer an outdoor swimming pool.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Fnatastic hotel with super friendly helpful staff. Very clean. Nice Chinese restaurant. Very helpful navigator.great location. Great buffet breakfast for all nationalities. Yummy cocktails in the R bar.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This is an exquisite hotel. For a business traveler like me, I look for good service and location when I choose my hotel. This hotel fulfills these two criteria. The service is good starting from when I arrived at the checking in counter. The personalised and swift service completed my check-in in a matter of no time. The room is clean. The strong contrast of colours yet pleasantly coordinated greets me once I entered the room. The comfort of sense was accentuated with the flagrance of room. Not sure what it was, but it was just pleasant.

The location is yet another advantage this hotel has. It is located within the business district connected with a complete public transportation. The covered elevated walk-way provides shade from the sun and keeps all travelers dry from the rain. My walk to the nearest business convention centre had been pleasant and comfortable. For evening leisure, I did not need to go far. All major shopping complexes and department stores are also within the vicinity. Upon recommendation of my local friends, I had a pleasant meal at 'Greyhound', a fusion Thai and western cuisine at Chidlom mall. It is delicious.

I have no complaint staying here and I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms which are on higher floors to have better views of the city
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed at the Renaissance Rachaprasong in April on the first leg of our Thailand trip. We stayed 3 nights and below are some tips:

1. The hotel is right off the Chit Lom BTS station so it's easy to walk to. In fact, I would take the train from the airport to the BTS transfer station and then get on the train to the Chit Lom stop. Very easy, straightforward, and inexpensive. One warning is there is no elevator at the Chit Lom station that we found so you need to be able to carry luggage up and down stairs.
2. The lounge has a great breakfast with traditional American and Thai foods. In the evening there is also an assortment of various appetizers.
3. If you have Platinum status you get a complimentary 15 minute massage. Be sure to schedule it when you arrive. If you don't have Platinum status, you can do an elite challenge if you plan to stay 18 nights in a Marriott within the next 90 days.
4. If you are Platinum, you can get a free gift. We chose the mango sticky rice which was outstanding.
5. Category 1-4 vouchers can be used at this hotel.

The hotel is clean, modern, and beautiful if a safe area and I recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tyler P
Reviewed 17 August 2012

It was fantastic to step into a beautiful hotel that wasn't anything like other five-star hotels in Bangkok. For example, St. Regis, Kempinski and Okura Bangkok all have contemporary designs (in my opinion) while Renaissance was very different in a great way.

All three restaurants - Fei Ya for Chinese, Tavola for Italian and Flavors for breakfast/lunch/dinner buffets and all-day dining - are very very good. It is hard to find a hotel with all good dining outlets like this.

HOWEVER...

I didn't like the service here much. Back then the waiters and waitresses were mostly trainees who gave poor answers. Such as when I commented in a friendly note that the sherbet ice creams looked a bit melting, one staff said "Of course, it is not a [cheap] Wall's ice cream."

What got on my nerve was the FRONT OFFICE staffs' attitude. They kept providing obsolete or wrong information about restaurant promotions, plus the following incident:

During my stay, one front office guy told me one wrong information and later said he did not say so. I was so angry and asked him if he thought I lied about what I heard. Finally I got to talk to his supervisor who - to my extreme disappointment - took side of him. Anyway things were smoothed out because I didn't wanna waste my energy on this matter.

There was more to this story but I should not go into further details. Let's just say that I like the hotel, the food and if i set the right level of expectation, it will be a pleasant experience.

(I think my stay was in Feb 2010)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I flew in for just a 2 day trip. HAd a wonderful time at this hotel. The staff in the executive lounge went well above and beyond normal service. I ate a wonderful dinner at the Italian restaurant with some Italian friends and they loved it too. I absolutely will stay here again and reccoment it to anyone who thinks of staying here.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor corner room.... great views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2012

The Renaissance has a perfect location, close to Central Chit Lom or Central World for shopping. The Lumpini Park is just around the corner. Great restaurants everywhere in the neighborhood. But the hotel itself also has a lot to offer, with elegant restaurants and great food, just to mention one thing. And the décor is really well designed and attractive, rooms, lobby, restaurants, what have you. The breakfast was also great with an abundance of food alternatives. But most of all: I have in no hotel in Thailand met such friendly staff. Everyone greets you with a warm smile and really does everything in their power to serve you in the best way they can. I believe this is the result of unrelenting management efforts. Frankly, you get so much more for your money by staying here than you would if you move closer to the Erewan Shrine and the hotels along Rajdamri Road by Lumpini Park.

Room Tip: If you are a Marriott member you get free WiFi. If you are not a memeber, just remind the staff at r...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple