“Fantastic stay with niggles”

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Ranked #43 of 896 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here twice in October, and both times received excellent service. We were fortunate enough to be staying in the club rooms which gave us access to the Exec lounge. A very well run lounge with polite, cheerful & helpful staff who could not have done more to be helpful. The food in there was good (breakfast, high tea & evening snacks) although it could be a little crowded at times - we had to wait for a table only twice in about ten visits.
The spa is a welcome haven from a busy day and a precursor to a busy evening but boy, that swimming pool is just too cold to be enjoyed. I endured the pool a few times and saw more people dip a toe & walk away than stay. I'd recommend the spa massages although they did seem pricey but there's discount for residents.
The pool temperature is more than a niggle as my wife & I do enjoy a swim but it was cold enough to prevent her swimming. Other niggles - on leaving I telephoned for someone to collect our bags - I gave up after 15 minute and a shirt left for laundering did not get returned until after we checked out, although I did forget to ask for it on checking out.
Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Don't rely on enjoying a swim - the water is colder than cold.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
MarkvanderWielen, General Manager at Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice comments, I am particular pleased to read that you enjoyed the service provided in our club lounge and that you enjoyed the club lounge benefits and it food and beverage daily offerings. The club lounge team are definitely an asset for us and I will be sure to make mention of your comments to the talent. I do apologize for the bag pick up challenges you faced and rest assured that this point has been adressed with the team as it enables us to keep improving our services.

I like to thank you both for staying with us and we look forward to your next stay,

Mark van der Wielen

Write a ReviewReviews (3,598)

Reviewed 15 November 2013

When you have special concerns and needs and you find the management is extremely helpful prior to your even checking in, you know you're in for a superb experience. I was informed that MARK VAN DER WIELEN, the General Manager, is one who gets things done. And, he does. I want to thank Mark, as well as APINYA SRISOMPHOT, the Assistant Reservation Manager, for their assistance. THANK YOU!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MarkvanderWielen, General Manager at Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear guest,

Thanks you for your nice comments and we are pleased to assist our guests with any pre-arrival questions, requests they may have or any concerns during their stay. We believe that as a guest you have a choice of where to stay, a crucial factor for your decission making process would be the service levels provided to you. I am proud to say that our hotel ambassadors in general provide excellent guest service. They are an asset for us and l be sure to make mention of your nice comments to one of our talents Khun Apinya whom assisted you.

I like to mention as well that the hotel has an excellent location, located within walking distance from all of Bangkok leading shopping malls and just opposite the Chitlom BTS station which connects you with all what Bangkok has to discover. Renaissance as a brand signifies a deep belief in "Live Life to Discover" and our team of navigators (concierge) will be delighted to tell our guests all about the local Bangkok discoveries,

Thanks for selecting us,

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Despite we enjoyed this hotel our first visit, this would be more like a negative review. First time we stayed at a deluxe room and everything was amazing, especially famous breakfasts at Flavours. Second time we decided to take Club room and that was a disapponment. Usually for bigger money, hotels provide better services, but not here. You get all the same and some things worse. We got worse view than we had at Deluxe room (and the Club room is absolutely the same as Deluxe), no welcome drink and no more amazing Flavours breakfasts. With club room you can only eat at Club Lounge, which is supposed to be better, while actually provides same food as Flavours, only much less choice. And if you think it is more calm there you will also be disappointed, because it is crowded all the time.
Also we had to change our access cards about 10 times, they just didn't work - annoying.
And how many more people should complain about freezingly cold swimming pool where nobody can swim until they do something with it?
To make a long story short - no need to buy a Club room, you can enjoy everything and even more at Deluxe.

Room Tip: No point to buy a Club Room, it's all the same as Deluxe
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

I like to thank you for your comments, I am pleased to read that you in general enjoyed the overall design and feel of the hotel and its guest rooms. I like to sincerely apologize for the key cards challenges faced and that the pool water was too cold.

The hotel swimming pool is "semi indoors" and although that is an advantage during the rainy season months in Bangkok , during days of particular an heavy overcast the water may be a bit cooler.

The club lounge benefits do offer must more then just the breakfast, daily we provide various food and beverage offerings, happy hour is served daily with a great assortment of drinks and canapes, guest laundy privileges, free use of the board room meeting facilities etc. Many of our guest reviews do actually praise our club lounge for the service and offerings provided.

I like to thank you for staying with us again and I look forward to your return, during which I hope to meet with you in person, so that we can exceed your expectations.

Please contact me at my email address, mark.wielen@renaissancehotels.com for your future stay.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I just finished my 12 days vacation in Thailand last week. This time, I stayed in 4 hotels in Bangkok and Pattaya. The first hotel I stayed was Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong.

This was my first time to stay in this hotel. I arrived early evening. Check in was fast. I got a room on the same floor as the executive lounge. So, I only needed to walk less than a minute to go to the lounge. The food in the lounge was very good. The room I got was a little small but I got a good view of the city.

I only stayed 2 days in this hotel. The location is better than JW Marriott (JW Marriott located right in the middle of two BTS stations). You only need to walk about 3 minutes to BTS station. About 5 minutes to Central and other shopping malls.

Room Tip: higher floor room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
MarkvanderWielen, Director of Rooms Operations at Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear Wingnewaddress,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that your check in was fast and your room was conveniently located next to the Club Lounge. Thanks for your comments about the food in the lounge being very good.

We are located adjacent to the Chit Lom BTS station and the shopping heart of the city. I am pleased to read you had a great stay with us and hope you enjoyed your 12 day vacation in Thailand.

Hope to see you at the hotel again in the near future,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I visited the Ratchaprasong hotel on business and it lived up to my expaectations based on previous reviews I read. The location is excellent and is within a short walking of shopping, restaurants, and the train line that serves the city. I arranged for the hotel to have a drive meet me at the baggage claim and they were there as arranged. I am a Marriott platinum member and they brought me to the lounge for check in. The lounge has a great selection of appetizers and drinks in the evening. The staff in the lounge is really freindly and helpful. I have to thank Peminka Jeerachanatan personnaly as she was very attentive and got to know me by name the first day. The breakfast in the morning was really great,especially the selection of freshly squeezed juices and fresh fruit. My only dissapointments was the hard matress and the pool (it is not outdoors and the water was cold - maybe suitable for a 100 degree day but wasn't that hot when I visited). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear David L,

Thanks for your review! As a Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite member it is always very nice to receive such kind comments. I am glad to read you enjoyed the club lounge and that the Club lounge Manager, Khun Pemika was attentive and knew you by name as soon as you arrived. She is a real asset to the hotel and her team of ambassadors provide a fantastic service to our Club guests.

Sorry to read that you found the mattress to be too hard. We do have feather toppers on all beds and the housekeeping team are only too happy to ensure that the bed is to your comfort. We will be sure to note your preference for future stays. The pool is quite refreshing on hot Bangkok days which is most days year round and is open air but not in direct sunlight. I hope that you did enjoy your time enjoying the view that the pool offers.

Great to read you would definitely stay again and we all look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We returned for our 3rd or 4th visit to the hotel which, as the other reviewers have covered already, offers a great location, excellent service (Staff are outstanding) and roomy accommodation.
We switch between here and the JW Marriott (a few stops down the line on the Skytrain) but chose the hotel this time as friends were staying and they prefer the Renaissance. The Chinese restaurant Fei Ya was brilliant by the way, please see my review.
However overall (despite it being listed higher than the JW on Trip Advisor) I prefer the JW for one major reason, the Pool. My friend explained that Thai’s don’t like being “in the open” by the pool and the Renaissance pool suffers from the fact that, despite the view, it is covered and not open anywhere to the sun. If I am sitting by the pool I want some sun! For that reason I prefer the JW.
We had a mooch around and there is an excellent, under used it would appear, terrace on the 4th floor open, landscaped and crying out for a pool! Any chance?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Daveocracy,

Thank you for choosing to return to the hotel on your 4th visit and its nice to read you like the location and roomy accommodation. Thanks for your kind note about the outstanding staff!

I have also read you comment about our Chinese Restaurant Fei Ya and am glad you enjoyed the Dim Sum. Fei Ya has won the Best Chinese Restaurant in Bangkok by Thailand Tattler for a 4th consecutive year… an accomplishment we are very proud about.

Our pool is located on the 23rd floor of the hotel and does offer spectacular views of the city. While it is not in direct sunlight, the pool is open air. We do get reviews where guests enjoy the fact they are not in the sunlight and others who prefer to be able to enjoy the sun. It is a great space that I hope you did enjoy. We do have a great gem in the hotel which is a tiered garden terrace off the 4th floor. It is a great venue and we do have a seating area to enjoy that space. No plans for a pool but it is great to read you found the area excellent!

Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and I hope to see you back at the Renaissance on your next visit to Bangkok,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I have stayed with Marriott ninety plus nights this year. And when I get this sort of treatment it reminds me just why I stay loyal to the brand. Upon arrival I was upgraded to a beautiful suite which was a really nice surprise. Service was faultless particularly in the Executive lounge which is one of the best.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Russell B,

Thank you for your great review and for your loyalty to the hotel. As a Marriott Rewards Elite member it is always nice to receive such feedback.

I am glad to read that you were upgraded to a suite for this stay which was a nice surprise. The team of ambassadors do a great job and I am very happy to read that the service was faultless on this and other stays. As always, we look forward to welcoming you back which I hope is in the not too distant future,