“Excellent hotel for a business trip in Bangkok”

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Ranked #47 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Laguna Beach, California
“Excellent hotel for a business trip in Bangkok”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip. There was some protests outside but the protests were peaceful and since the hotel is quite set back from the street, it wasn't distracting either. The hotel is conveniently close to the Chit Lom Skytrain station as well. The service was excellent, and the bartender was very good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MarkvanderWielen, Director of Rooms Operations at Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear twong_lobster,

Thank you for your review of the hotel and I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent business trip to Bangkok.

The hotel is very conveniently located in the heart of the Shopping district in Bangkok and also set back from the street making it a quiet place to be in the bustling city. I am glad to read that you were not distracted by noises from outside the hotel.

Thanks for your kind comments about the bartender. We have a great bartender who is a 4 time Thailand champion bartender. We focus on making great indigenous cocktails using local ingredients which I hope you enjoyed.

Hope to see you in the hotel again on your next visit to Bangkok.

Safe travels and kind regards,

Blair Fowler
Director of Rooms Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Let me start with the negatives, for the positives see further below.

This hotel is very new, just opened for 1-2 years I believe. However, although they claim they are a 5-star hotel, I have to say they are not. The hotel lacks consistency and communication between departments is horrendous. The front desk staff and the concierge never commutate, so what the front desk tells you and the concierge tells you is completely opposite, and messed up our dinner plans one night and led to a very unpleasant experience in the hotel restaurant which I will get to later.

It appears many hotels may have similar issues, but not as bad this experience. It is very regrettable that a hotel such as the Renaissance would have issues like this, I have talked to their management about this, and hopefully by now the problem has been resolved.

As for the restaurant, I have forgotten which one it is, but it is the one that serve pizza. Because of the issues with the front desk and concierge we ended up eating at the hotel, which we rarely like to do, and on this occasion the food was not very good. After waiting for about 20 minutes, which is reasonable, our pizza arrived and it was cold, telling the staff, they cooked another one which took 40 minutes! The restaurant manager was useless, they couldn’t understand why the pizza was cold and after talking to her for 10 minutes they finally fixed the issue, however, we were still wondering what would be the result as what they said was not clear, we did not know if we were getting another pizza or not. The second one came after 40 minutes and it was hot. I really don’t understand how they could undercook a pizza, I really don’t. The lamb chops we ordered as recall were good. However, the whole experience with the pizza was just unacceptable.

Although the rooms are nice, the bathrooms have a serious flaw, in our room the base of the toilet smelled. And the shower, due to a major design flaw leaked also. See, it’s the type of shower with a door that swings open, and many of you will know this sort of shower, unless it is done right, you will have a flood on the floor after you shower. We tried our best every night to keep the water in the shower, but to no avail, every night the bathroom floor was slippery and flooded, even with more towels on the floor, and it appears that the drainage is not working right as we can smell urine also. I hope they have resolved this issue already.

The spa also has issues, the menu is not clear enough, make sure you ask questions before you accept the massage you think you want. The descriptions are far from accurate, beware!

There are many other issues with the hotel which need improvements.

With all of that said above, let’s move to the positives.

I think my wife and I might like to try to stay here again despite the problems, and the reason is because the hotel is new, it is clean, and it is very conveniently located. I would like to give them a second chance. This is the reason I am giving it a four, though I have greatly considered giving it a three many times just simply because there were too many issues, but because of the location and the hotel newness I am giving it the benefit of the doubt, however, should they not make changes, I would not stay here again.

The location is just right near the BTS Chit-Lom station, which is just a 2-3 minute walk from the front doors of the hotel, however, be very careful when you go out the doors as there is a parking lot there, and there are a few blind corners with roads, make sure you stop to look before you cross, when you get there you will figure out what I mean, as there is a small walkway, door entrance to the hotel area between the carpark and the hotel. Just be careful.

The rooms are clean, decent size, and internet is available! The hotel is practically brand new, but their management needs some work, otherwise it is a decent hotel, and this is why I am giving it a four despite all the problems. Having seen several hotels in Bangkok, it seems no hotel will be perfect, so other than the concierge and front desk issues, I think it is a decent place to stay and mainly because of location and it is quiet as it is off the main street which is Sukhumvit Road.

The breakfasts are good, but get old after a few days, but I will say the opening and closing time for breakfast is great! You can still make all your travel appointments as I think the breakfast opens at 6am or 6:30am which allows time to eat before you go sightseeing or meeting your guide. The choice of food is limited after a few days, it gets old, they need to add more.

If you need to get a taxi, you had better walk to the street to get one yourself, or better yet, take the BTS which is literally just right outside the building on the main street, it takes about 3 minutes to get there. Getting a taxi at the hotel might prove difficult, especially during certain times, like at night. And this is the reason our dinner plans got messed up. We were going to the Opus Wine Bar I think that night for dinner, but could not make it as we were told no taxi’s would come up to the hotel and that is because the traffic in this particular area of Bangkok is horrible! And I mean horrible! It took us nearly 1.5 hours to go 500 meters one night. If you do not like crowds, do not stay in this area, seriously, the traffic is awful and it seems is getting worse every year. I would suggest you arrange your schedule for dinner and other things at night, by BTS or walking, do not try to take a taxi. To the airport should be ok in the morning, just arrange it in advance if you can, not sure if you can do that or not, I don’t remember. But ask.

There is plenty of shopping around the hotel. Walk down to the big intersection and cross the street, you will see Central World Plaza and Big C, just opposite of each other, they are not on the same side of the street. Stay away from the food court in Big C as it is bad, very bad! If you want good food court food, go to Terminal 21. Central World, we never tried the food there I think, but I suspect it should be better than Big C. We may have eaten at Central World our first night, I need to check. Terminal 21 is in the airport direction, but is only about 4-5 stops by the BTS. Siam Square is the opposite direction and is only 1-2 stops.

To sum up, do not expect too much, it is a nice hotel, but it is not perfect. Expect some not up to par things, but overall it is a great hotel. If you can book this hotel for anything under US$150 including breakfast, I think it will be a great deal. However, the $150 is based on 2013, as time goes on, prices change

If you have any questions about this hotel or Bangkok, feel free to contact me anytime! I will try to revert as fast as I can. Enjoy your stay in Bangkok!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The staff at this hotel was very kind and helpful. They went out of their way to ensure that our trip was smooth and provided great recommendations on less traditional tourist options. They were able to accomodate an early check in and were efficent in handling a package we had delivered on our final day in town. One of the biggest perks of the hotel was being located adjacent to the train, this made travel around Bangkok very easy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

stayed from 16rh November 2013 for 3 nights.
As a Marriott Platinum member, I was upgraded to Studio Suite which was smaller than my previous stay (Renaissance Suite), however, that corner room was very bright and had a lot of natural light coming into the room, I ended up falling for.....
From the check-in to check-out, I enjoyed every minutes of their hospitality.
Although I had never seen such a crowded Club Lounge on the first night, the staff there were all very accomodating, caring and having superb hospitality.

I shall call this hotel "My home in Bangkok!!"

Thank you very much for the great experience, Looking forward to coming back very very soon!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MarkvanderWielen, Assistant Director Of Rooms Operations at Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear jetset55555,

Thank you for staying with us in November last year and for the compliments to our Club Lounge. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

The Studio Suite and the Renaissance Suite have a few differences. The size of the Studio Suite is 53 sq.m. while the Renaissance Suite is 62 sq.m. with the advantage of the walk-in closet. We agree with you that the Studio Suite has a bright and natural light as they are at the corner, so you can enjoyed the nice veiw of the city as well.

We really look forward to welcoming you to Renaissance Bangkok when you visit Bangkok next time.

Kind regards,

Thanida Pisarn
Assistant Director of Rooms Operations
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The vip lounge is sometimes too busy and the snacks are good but sometimes not very good , but the service is very good .
Thai guest's don't like the western snacks !
The restaurants are very good but are closed too early .

• Stayed November 2013
MarkvanderWielen, General Manager at Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear guest,

I like to thank you for your review and we are proud to read the header of your review.
The hotel executive lounge receives in general excellent guest reviews which is mainly due to the excellent service provided by our hotel ambassadors, the daily various food and beverage offerings, other club lounge benefits and the amazing view from our lounge over Bangkok.

I will be sure to make mention of your comments regarding the snacks to the chefs,

We like to thank you for your ongoing support to the hotel and we look forward to your return,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Our stay at Renaissance has been one of the most pleasant stay we had in Bangkok. The hotel is right at the the door step of the vibrant shopping belt and is a mere stone throw away from Chidrom BTS station.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

I like to thank you for your nice comments and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed besides the overall design and feel of the the hotel, the service provided by our hotel ambassadors, the hotel's excellent location. Location is key in Bangkok and we are within walking distance from all the key shopping centres and the Chitlom BTS station.

I like to thank you for staying with us and we look forward for your return so that we can provide you with the same experience,

Park City, Utah
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Renaissance for two nights and found the location to be perfect for our one day tour of Bangkok. The skywalk is very convenient and provided great shelter from the rain on our walk back from dinner.

The accommodations and service were excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

The header of your review makes us proud, I like to thank you for the nice review and I am pleaed that you enjoyed the overall feel and design of the hotel and our guest rooms.

The hotel has indeed an excellent location and is within walking distance from all the leading shopping centres and just opposite the Chitlom BTS station which connects you with all what Bangkok has to offer.

I like to thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your future stay so that we can provide you with the same experience,