“Great Hotel and Excellent Location”

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Ranked #48 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Hotel and Excellent Location”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This hotel is one of the newer hotels in the area and is beautifully decorated. The rooms are well appointed and bathrooms are very spacious.

What really makes this hotel great is its location - it is less than 1/2 block to the SkyTrain as well as a block from Central World Shopping Mall as well as a number of other shopping areas.

I like to run in the morning, and Lumpini Park is a nice 1.5km walk or run from the hotel. If you are wanting a nice hotel in Bangkok that is centrally located, then I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite if available.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
MarkvanderWielen, General Manager at Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear guest

I like to thank you for your nice comments and I am particular pleased to read that you enjoyed the overall design and feel of the hotel and its guest rooms and our guest rooms. Location is key in Bangkok and as you outlined correctly the hotel is just opposite the Chitlom BTS station which connects you with all what Bangkok has to discover and within walking distance from all of the leading shopping malls,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and may I take this opportunity to wish you and your family all the best wished for the Festival Season with lots of prosperity, happiness and good health,

With warm regards and safe travels ahead,

Mark van der Wielen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This was recommended by my girlfriend & it didn't disapoint. Can't remember what time we arrive from the flight but I was abit upset as I felt that the taxi from airport overcharged me 700 baht instead of metre, i shld have insisted by metre (frm hotel back to airport is 350 baht). Anyway check in was smooth except that we were told to wait for our room as we wanted 2 double beds. Probably about 20 mins or so but the lobby was comfortable and the kids were well settled. & it well worth the wait cos the 2 double bedrooms suit our family fine with lovely bathtub & spacious toilet. love the toiletries collection. Good variety of TV channels, comfortable bed. The receptionist who attended to us spoke good english and went to Netherlands before. We forgot to take down his name but would like to express our appreciation for his attentive service. Also ordered room service & extra pillows, all provided with great service! location is excellent, walking distance to major mall & train station. will be back! Oh love the well maintained suana & gym on top floor.

Room Tip: 2 double beds for family of 4
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
MarkvanderWielen, General Manager at Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear guest,

I like to thank you for your nice comments,I am pleased to read that you had a smooth check in experience and a great overall stay with your family. We do get in general excellent reviews on our hotel and guest rooms layout, the overall hotel feel and design besides the hotel location. Location is within walking distance from all of Bangkok leading shopping malls and just opposite the Chitlom BTS station which connects you with all what Bangkok has to discover.

I am paticular pleased that our hotel ambassadors have taken great care of you and rest assured I will make mention of your nice comments to them as they are definitely an asset for us.

We like to thank you for staying with us and we look forward for your return so that we can provide you with the same experience,

May I take this opportunity to wish you and your family all the best wishes for the Festival Season with lots of prosperity, happiness and good health,

Kota Bharu, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 December 2013

A truly Life Style Hotel with service to its best. Staff Service is excellent and always greeting in each and every area of the hotel. Restaurants food is awsome........Great Service and met the expectations. Team - Keep up the good work!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,

I like to thank you for your nice review and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the overall design and feel of the hotel and our guest rooms which is indeed more "Life Style".

Renaissance as a brand signifies a deep belief in "Live Life to Discover" and our team of navigators (concierge) will be delighted to tell our guests all about the Bangkok local discoveries. I am particular pleased to read that our hotel ambassadors have taken great care of you and rest assured I will make mention of your comments to them, the team are definitely an asset for us.

Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to your return so that we can provide you with the same experience,

May I take this opportunity to wish you and your family all the best wishes for the upcoming Festival Season with lots of properity, happiness and good health,

Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 December 2013

we are loyal Marriott fans. this was our 17th trip to Thailand. during these stays we always stay in as many Marriott family hotels as possible (I am a platinum elite). this trip involved 4 Marriotts. We used our hard earned points to pay for our stay.

we looked forward to our 9 night stay at the Renaissance at the end of our trip. There was political unrest in Bangkok during our stay, so I called the hotel the day before our arrival to see if an early check in at 1PM might be possible. I was told no problem at all, a "room would be ready for us". When we arrived at 2:30 our room was not ready and we were asked to wait in the club lounge for 60 minutes.. not really a problem, but the registration was a bit surprising. we were not greeted in the usual enthusiastic way platinum guests are greeted and in fact the only acknowledgement of my status was the question about what we wanted as a gift. our observations of the lobby were disappointing.. it is not thai in any way, it tends to be quite dark as does the whole hotel, especially the corridors. the elevators are not air conditioned oddly. we were quite disappointed, especially after the other thai marriotts we had enjoyed on this and other trips. We were later told the décor is "funky" in style.

Our room was a huge disappointment too. for a roughly 2 year old hotel, this room has seen some pretty rough treatment. At best it was ordinary... no upgrade even though the hotel was less than 60% full. the furnishings were heavily scratched, the upholstery was worn, etc. Everything was in working order however. this room could have been in London, Athens or Desmoines--- it lacked character, especially thai character.

We went for drinks in the club, while I pondered a move elsewhere.

The club staff during our stay could not have been nicer or more efficient. We were approached by the exec. chef, Jose, while in the club. He is a very pleasant Spaniard. He asked how things were going, and he noticed my frown. I'm afraid I unloaded a bit on him. He flew into action. Our room was moved to one in a better condition and he followed up regularily during our stay. The sun began to shine a bit.

We had a few more problems like mosquitos in the room a couple of times---22nd fl and sealed windows?

We met with the general manager and the rooms manager after a couple of days. They listened politely, seemed to us to be a bit on the offensive to some comments and could not wait for our meeting to end. We never saw either one of them again, nor did they check to see if things had improved from our perspective.

My wife has suggested that the real problem we saw was an aire of indifference and even more a huge amount of inconsistency in service. I could go on and on but will leave it here.

we did have very good meals in the Italian restaurant and their service could not have been more friendly, efficient and welcome. The same holds true for the club lounge.

We will not be returning anytime in the future to this hotel. This is the first and hopefully the last negative hotel report that I will need to write

Room Tip: don't arrive with high expectations.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank robert k
Dear guest,

I like to thanks you for your comments and I am pleased we met in person during your stay. When we met you outlined to us, that you did not like certain parts of the hotel design concepts, interior and lighting levels particualr of the guest rooms and the guest corridor rooms.

As spoken on that day, Renaissance as a brand is more of a "Life Style" hotel which is different to the regular Marriott hotel brand you refered to. Renaissance signifies a deep belief in "Live Life to Discover" and our team of navigators (concierge) is very focussed on telling our guests about local discoveries which are different to the ordinary. In regards to overall design, lighting and feel, the hotel designer has used a much more contemporarily approach on the overall design concept of the hotel public areas and the hotel guest rooms, still with a lot of local Thai modern culture representing, of which we get in general a large positive response by both younger and older guests.

I like to thank you again, for the time spend to tell me all the points as outlined in your review when we met and rest assured we take these comments pro-active and we appreicate the time our guest take to tell us areas we can improve upon.

I am pleased to read that you had some great experience in other areas of the hotel and with interactions of our hotel ambassadors and rest assured I will make mention of your comments to them.

I like to thank both of you for staying with us and your support to Marriott International hotels and we hope that when you travel back to Bangkok in the future you would consider again staying with us so that we can exceed your expectations, you have our details so please contact me if and when needed,

May I take this opportunity to wish you both and your families all the best wishes for the upcoming Festival Season with lots of prosperity, happiness and good health,

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Flavor restaurant, personal whom i met with warm welcome good services is Mr.Tanakarn and all personals with the best sevice adtitude and cheerful manner. Food are wild range of variety, fresh and wonderful taste. Table setting, lumination, cleanlyness, music are wonderful.

• Stayed December 2013
MarkvanderWielen, General Manager at Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear guest

I would like to thank you for your review on Flavors the hotel three meal dining restaurant which has received indeed various excellent recognition in the local community due to its food quality, variety offered and overall service standards. The kitchen and service teams are definitely an asset for us and I will be sure to make mention of your comments to Khun Tanakarn and the team.

I like to thank you for dining with us and we look forward to your return,

May I take this opportunity to wish you and your family all the best wishes for the Festival Season with lots of happiness, good health and prosperity,

With regards,

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

The location is downtown, easy to connect to BTS and the decor is modern and chic, food and service are also high standard, I'm not the big fan of Chinese restaurant but I try once at Fei Ya. It was very good and tasteful also the service was great, it was very good experience and definitely come back.

Stayed December 2556, travelled solo
Dear guest,

I like to thank you for your nice review, and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the overall hotel design, our guest rooms and the service provided by the hotel ambassadors. The hotel has indeed a great location with the Bangkok leading shopping malls all within walking distance and the Chitlom BTS Station just opposite which connects you with all what the city has to discover.

I like to thank you for staying with us and may I take this opportunity to wish you and your familiy all the best wishes for the Festival Season with lots of prosperity, happiness and good health

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights in Nov 2013.

Cons
Rooms - There is no stopper at the door and it pulls hard to keep it shut. I had to fight against that while holding a plate of fruits in one hand only to injure my fingers. The pain lasted for a week! You can't even hold the door without much strength even if you were talking to the housekeeper etc. It's a pain.

Hardly any stationary on the desk like notepads or pens!

Room is slightly smaller with ugly deco. Overall the ambiance of the entire hotel is awful like some tacky yuppie town. No feel of luxury. Twice in the lift I overheard patrons commenting on how awful the style is.

Club lounge
Too small. Noisy...frequently no place to sit and eat. The food variety was few, boring and cheap, barely any choices for wine....

Access Pass
This only works at the 20th time be it in the elevator, at the room or accessing the club lounge

Morning breakfast
Extremely boring, same menu day in and day out. I had lunch buffet at the same place and 85% of the menu was the same as breakfast....yawn...If this hotel can't get creative with food in Thailand they are hopeless and should be out of the fab game!

Overall hotel ambience: Sore eye!

Pros
Extremely friendly and warm staff. Surasak the bartender was very nice. We drank frequently at the bar in the ground floor. Overall the staff were very efficient.

Location
Decent and close to the main city point. But most taxis are not familiar with this hotel.

I have stayed in many hotels in Bangkok from athnee-meredien, four seasons,conrad,dusit, intercon, hyatt

• Stayed November 2013
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your review, it saddes me to read that you do not like the hotel and our guest rooms design concept as we get in general large positive response on the design, because of the amount of various modern Thai culture we utilize. This is praised by both younger and older guests, the hotel designer has actually received various local and Inernational recognition. Renaissance as brand signifies a deep belief in "Live Life to Discover"

We will investigate your comnents regarding the room door and key card access in the lift and I do apologize for the same. The hotel stationary items are actually all stored in a specific designed stationary box which is placed in the cabinet since the hotel as a standard keeps our guest writing desks free of clutter.

I am pleased to read that our team of hotel ambassadors have taken good care of you and provided you with friendly and warm service, I will be sure to make mention of your nice comments to khun Surasak.

I hope that when travelling back to Bangkok you would still consider to stay at the Renaissance hotel and I would be delighted to meet you in person at that time,

Thank you for staying with us and may I take this opportunity to wish you and your family all the best wishes for the Festival Seaon with lots of happiness, good health and prosperity,