“A Hotel that's Clean, Safe, Quiet and Relaxing neighbourhood, Affordable, Good Location, Good friendly staff service.”

Salil Hotel Sukhumvit - Soi Thonglor 1
Ranked #215 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Nice & clean neighbourhood, safe area and quiet street
Like it says on their website its located in a nice quiet area that is Thong Lo. Is it safe? Well, I have walked at night from the hotel to a nearby 7-11 and back (please visit the thai 7-11 site to listen to the smashingly awesome thai song) and didn't get mugged nor harrased during my stay at the hotel.

Communication
I was nearly done filling my details on their online booking page but cancelled in the end because I had to go and fry and egg and intended to continue my booking after dinner. However, I received an email from the hotel that I needed to fill an payment form to complete my booking. I thought the hotel had hacked into my computer. That was spooky. Anyways I replied back to them to please cancel my 'initial' booking as I will re-start over. The reply was instantaneous. Emails was being replied back and forth, it was as if we were like on Windows Live messenger. I remember it was around 9-10pm Melbourne time.

So yes communication is fast and furious. To call the hotel dial [--]. Its best not to call as the man who answered the phone cannot speak english. I am not sure why the emails were communicated in good english.

Free airport transfer
After exiting customs and immigrations at Suvarnabhumi Airport, our confirmation email from the hotel instructed us that our driver will wait at Arrival gate 3 at the time of our arrival. I emailed to them that we might be late coming out from the terminal. Their reply was the driver can wait for hours until we complete customs and immigration. Top marks. So upon exiting terminal and making our way to Arrival gate 3, I spotted my name on those name cards and the driver was way before gate 3. Luckily I spotted my name. He walked us to the airport carpark and the trip took about 30-40 minutes. It was around 4-5pm Bangkok time. Traffic was crazy jam.

So yes despite being told to wait at Arrival gate 3, do look out for your name as the driver might be waiting at other gates.

Café de Salil
The package I selected included complimentary breakfast. I must say the food is great. The food varies from day to day and it was served hot such as fried rice, bacon, fried eggs on demand, cereal and cold milk, yoghurt and even porridge.

Free Tuk-tuk to BTS Thong Lo skytrain station
The tuk-tuk is not always available. I got on it the first night to get my orientation. Its something one must experience. So before coming back to the Thong BTS skytrain station, at least call 5-10minutes before you reach the station because there's traffic to consider, other people might be using it or it might not be available. That same night we waited a good 20-25 minutes. So you have been warned. The hotel is seriously a 3-5 minute walk. I ended up walking back to the hotel most of the time.

Free DVD and Free Internet
The movies were not the latest but its a good idea. I did watch "Lars and the real girl". There was cable TV on a big flat screen as well. I didnt bring my eeepc so I couldnt tell you how fast the internet was.

Rooms
The long awaited section. I did have a look at the 1st floor rooms and the ground floor rooms. MY advise is to request to stay on the ground floor. The rooms on this floor compared to the first floor is HUGE. The room is just perfect. No complains. There's even a balcony that looks out to nothing. Yup a white wall. I guess you could put your pet dog or baby out here. *O*

Bad points
While very little. I must point them out. A couple of the light switches didnt work. A couple of the plugs to charge my camera didnt work. I had inform reception so we won't get charged for any 'damage'. However the lighting was more than adequate and as you could see the lighting is bright enough. There was also plenty plugs to charge a hundred cameras. LOL

Final comment and rating
If you have the chance, just another reminder to request to stay on the ground floor. Maybe even stay in room 102. ^_^
This is a great stay. No complaints but then I was out for most of the day. Complimentary breakfast was great. I was full as. All you can eat. yummy.

For photos that I took of the hotel please visit my blog as I am too lazy to post them here. Posting them on my blog was painful enough. http://gundamhotel.blogspot.com/2010/03/review-07-salil-hotel-thong-lor-bangkok.html

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank limucat

Reviewed 22 January 2010

Salil hotel was a last minuted choice for us after arriving in Bangkok and being very disappointed with our first choice at "72 Ekamai".
After staying for one night at Salil we were hooked and booked the rest of our first of five weeks in Thailand there. After returning from Samui we also plan to return as we found the hotel extremely good value and well designed for a hotel of it's size.
The rooms are not large but are very clean and well designed and include extra features such as DVD player, bath tub and balcony which really add a nice touch to this small property of only 40 rooms. The staff offer very good service and are very helpful and the restaurant where breakfast is served daily is quiet and serve a basic menu but is quite adequate for the price.
The hotel offers a Tuk Tuk to Thonglor station which is only a 5 minute walk away and the Soi Thonglor where many good restaurants and shopping is located is also only a few minutes away.
The hotel is located at the end of a small soi (lane) so does not have any passing traffic at all which is great and helps to create a tranquil environment with the only noise sometimes coming from the neigbors in other rooms as the walls are a little thin. (I recommend to book a room at the far end of the building and you won't have as much noise). The housekeeping staff do an amazing job in this hotel and every day you can return from the hot steamy Bangkok streets to a clean room and bathroom. Another bonus is aircon is quiet and works very well and also plenty of water pressure and decent lighting throughout the room.
Have to give this hotel a 4.5 out of 5 especially considering it is small and staff are mostly new.... well done Salil, we'll be back!!!
Note: book on Hotelclub.com for 4 nights and you will receive one night free. this brought our rate per night down to THB 1200 which is less than US$37, great value for a clean, comfortable, convenient and cosy hotel!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1wazza1
Reviewed 22 December 2009

I stayed at Salil from 16-20 Dec 2009 with my gf. We initially chose a doube bed room but found the room too tiny, so we switched to a twin beds room which was much larger and more comfy.

The room is very neat and clean with wooden flooring. My only complaint is that the walls are pretty hollow and you can literally hear doors closing/opening and people talking in the common corridor.

There is a free tuk tuk to take you to and from the Thonglo BTS station and you can rent free DVDs although most of the DVDs are bootlegs (but quality is fine like originals).

Breakfast is only so-so with the usual cereal, toast, eggs, ham, bacon, etc... The cafe where breakfast is a very lovely place and resembles a Swedish kitchen-cum-glasshouse and sits about 6 tables only.

Sukhumvit Soi 38 is within walking distance and here you can find cheap delicious street hawker food like Pad Thai and mango sticky rice.

Overall, it's a lovely hotel in a quiet, serene neighborhood without the sleaze. Give it a try!

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sloloris
Reviewed 17 December 2009

I stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights and found it to be pleasant and comfortable. The rooms are new and clean and a decent size for the price. Free wi-fi was good. Breakfast was small and so-so, but acceptable. The usual bacon, eggs, tea, coffee, cereal and a couple of asian dishes (fried rice or noodles, vegetables).

Another good thing is that it is a short 5 min walk to the Thonglor BTS station. The free hotel tuk-tuk will also drive you the station if you like. Very convenient, and because it is away from the main road, the hotel is also quiet.

Cons - not enough hot water, for some reason. Just luke warm at best, though that's a minor compliant for me. (it's hot in Bangkok anyway!)

I didn't make use of their concierge service for any tickets or trips so I can't comment on that, and am sorry some other travellers had bad experiences.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 December 2009

I really enjoyed my stay at Salil Hotel, but I rank POOR because of their concierge desk. Rooms were comfortable, clean and modern. Complimentary breakfast was delicious and the front desk/bell boy staff was very helpful. The greatest flaw was their concierge service. The women charged us up front almost $10,000 baht for transfers and tours, and nothing came through. We were left stranded at the airport and waiting often for taxis for tours that never came. I was furious and demanded a full refund which she provided, but what a waste of time to be tricked with lousy touring service.

The Thonglor/Sukhumvit neighborhood is NOT for tourists, however I loved being in a true neighborhood. It felt so authentic and the prices of food and clothes were so below the tourist trap areas, that I enjoyed being in my own nook of Bangkok. Look for the Sparkles Cupcake bakery. Delicious treats!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank taurenlegend
Reviewed 5 December 2009

Salil hotel pros
PROS
- Smartly decorated hotel and rooms
- Rooms and bed are very clean
- Quiet
- 5 to 10 minute walk to BTS

CONS
- No hot water, room temperature showers at best
- The staff is polite but not helpful and totally inept
- The high speed Internet does not work with certain electronics
- Terrible location for tourists. You are far from all sights and the hotel is very difficult for taxis to find.
- The safe in the room is not bolted down, rendering it useless
- Very welcoming of sex tourists
- The rooms are tiny. Not a problem for me but some of you will be annoyed.
- Do not book anything through the tour desk at the hotel. You will be taken advantage of and possibly stolen from.
- The breakfast is not good. Everything is cold. I'm not really sure why they sit the good over those buffet warmers if they're not going to turn them on

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pifflove
Reviewed 23 November 2009

We stayed here for about 5 days, and it ran us about 1300 THB a night, which wasn't too bad. The hotel was in the process of installing an elevator, so there was a little bit of noise in the day time. Breakfast is horrible, for the most part everything was cold, being the fact that I wake up around 630 am and their cafe open at 630am.

The hotel overall is clean, the staff is okay, but can be a little bit more friendly. They do offer a tuk tuk ride to the Thong Lo BTS, which is nice.

Okay, now to the horror part of the hotel. After checking out, they claim that I made their sheet a little bit black of some sort of dirt, and they charged me 200 THB, and they claimed I drank an Ice Tea, which I never did, so they charge me for that as well. My plan was to return back to this hotel after going to Pattaya for a few days, but because of all the surprise charges, I will have to decline. I would not recommend this hotel to a friend, unless they like to eat cold breakfast and love surprises.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple