“Very comfortable hotel - not far from skytrain, but nearby district not great”

Anantara Sathorn Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #74 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We stayed there 4 nights and had a family suite which was really great: 2 bedroom and a lounge. Suite is really comfortable and well equipped
Breakfast buffet has a vert large choice and is very good
Pool is really nice and large, but water was cold in August
Location is quite good because not very far from skytrain (min. 10 minutes walking, which is not very easy with young children) but the district nearby has no interest
Would definitely go back in total anyway
Small drawback: you always have to wait elevators quite a while

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank toto92
ANT_Sathorn, General Manager at Anantara Sathorn Bangkok Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Dear damonkhan

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Anantara Bangkok Sathorn. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I am delighted you have chosen to share this feedback through Tripadvisor.

I am sorry you found the Taxi's in Bangkok frustrating, and in particular that they were unfamiliar with our hotel. The hotel does provide a taxi card with directions for the taxi drivers, I apologise if we did not offer you one of these.

Thank you for the comments regarding the room furnishings. The hotel is in fact only 18 months old, and I am disappointed to hear your room had some furnishings that looked outdated. I will review these comments with our staff to ensure we rectify this urgently.

You will be pleased to note we have made some adjustments to our breakfast offering since receiving yours and other guests comments, and I am pleased to advise we have been able to address the queuing problem, with guests no longer needing to wait more than a few minutes to be seated.

Thank you again for your feedback , and I trust that should your travels bring you back to Bangkok we will have the pleasure of your company again. Should I be able to assist you in any way further please feel free to contact me directly.

Kind regards

General Manger
msmith@anantara.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,754)

Reviewed 19 August 2011

I had stayed here with my partner from the 4 Aug - 8 Aug.

The moment you stepped into the lobby, you will be blown away by the high ceilings and zen interior. the impeccable service wowed us from the time we checked-in till the time we were escorted to our room.

What we liked:
1. Anantara's staff were all smiles, regardless at what time of the day.
2. They have one of the most wide breakfast spread that I have ever been to! Kudos to that!
3. Our room had the most fantastic view of the city. we had asked for a high floor were happy they granted our request and the room was huge.
4. The bed was sooo comfortable.
5. The staff were friendly and very helpful and were sincere with their apologies.**
6. Anantara sent us a birthday cake to celebrate my partner's birthday. It was a nice surprise to my partner as his birthday was on the 4th of Aug. ^^

What we didn't like:
1. The furniture in our room were definitely dated. Some of the paint were coming off from the tv console in our room.
2. The only nearest supermarket was an upmarket one, about 5mins away from the hotel. Unless you are working and living in Bangkok, you should not head there as the same item will probably cost you half the price elsewhere!
3. The walk to the Chong Nonsi BTS station can be a real killer under the hot sun. And it's not exactly 10mins walk either as claimed by the hotel staff. Then again, each of our walking speed varies.
4. Almost every time we take a cab back to the hotel, we had to tell them to go to the Chong Nonsi BTS station and then direct them back. (this is after the 3rd or 4th cab each time)! It seems either they honestly do not know Anantara or they just refuse to drive us to that area.
5. We had to queue for breakfast which can take almost 20 - 30mins, again, depending on the hotel's capacity.**
6. Our room was not that cleaned. We had asked for daily housekeeping service but there were still marks on the dining tables.

**Although the breakfast buffet spread was great, it was pretty small a restaurant/place to house all the hotel guest as there are 2 towers in Anantara. Out of the 3 out of 4 mornings, we had to queue and on one morning, it got so terrible that they had to convert some of the sitting area near the sun deck (by the pool) to tables to accommodate the guests. However, it was really commendable of them to extend the breakfast hours noting the situation. :)

Damon

Room Tip: Ask for a high unit.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank damonkhan
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I would probably pay a bit more for a better hotel.

The design of the living room is simple. Not much of a design. It is overall quite clean. The bed is really comfortable and the view is quite good.

The staff were nice but when I called the front desk there was no answer. U tired multiple times around 5pm.

I tried to book a restaurant and was waiting at the concierge, he was helping another hotel guest so he told me that the front desk can do it for me. The front desk asked me to go back to the concierge but I told them I was sent here. They looked annoyed for 3 seconds and helped me booked the restaurant and was trying to act polite again.

Overall, I paid just a little more than a hundred dollars so u guess it is pretty good for the money. In my opinion, I would rather pay more for a truly five star hotel.

I tried calling the front desk 6 times in the afternoon and nobody picked up the call. I was kind of frustrated because our room wasn't ready when we got checked in. It wasn't clean!!! So we got another room...a very large room but we rather wait for the deluxe because it was more cozy.

There are only a few items on the midnight snack.

The pool water was extremely cold and the staff do not know their menu really well. Most of the fruit juice items they don't have. I don't understand why they would have those items on the menu.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank beautywish
ANT_Sathorn, Manager at Anantara Sathorn Bangkok Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Dear BeautyWish

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Anantara Bangkok Sathorn.
I was extremely surprised and disappointed to read your review and would like to investigate your comments fully. May I ask you to contact me directly on msmith@anantara.com and advise me of your dates of stay and the name your reservation was made under?
Your comments are certainly not indicative of our usual level of service. Our Guest Service Centre (where you were calling) is manned twenty four hours, so I am completely at a loss to explain why your calls weren’t answered without being able to investigate further.
I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 August 2011

The standard of hotels in Bangkok is very high and you really get a bang for your buck.
I have stayed in awesome hotels such as the Metropolitan for less than $100
In most cities in the world I would be very impressed with the Anantara - the people are very friendly and efficient and it wasn't expensive
However as others have mentioned I had two issues with the Ananatara which will probably make me look elsewhere next time
- the hotel is located on a road with a terrible traffic jam almost all day so that you really need to find alternative transport on motorbikes or walk to get to the BTS or a road where the traffic is moving
- the breakfast on weekends is chaos and big queues form for a table after around 8am
I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed with this place, but for the money I think you can really snag an awesome hotel in bkk

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank shoestringtraveller

Dear shoestringtraveller

Thank you for taking the time to comment following your recent stay at Anantara Bangkok Sathorn.
You will be pleased to know that we have made some adjustments to our breakfast service to better accommodate our guests. We are confident this will assist in managing the large number of guests we serve for breakfast.
Our breakfast restaurant is open from 6.30am to 10.30am and unfortunately the majority of our guests choose to come to breakfast after 9.00am when it is very busy. In order to avoid the crowds we suggest having breakfast before 9.00am.
As you mention the traffic on Sathorn Road, similar to most areas of Bangkok can be quite congested. The hotel offers a regular shuttle service to and from Chong Nonsi BTS station. We recommend you travel in air-conditioned comfort to get to the BTS station, if you do not feel like the ten minute walk.
Thank you once again for sharing your comments.

Reviewed 5 August 2011

I chose Anantara based on several reviews here. It is a great hotel with great value, from superb breakfast, nice pool and facilities, free internet. It looks more like a serviced apartment on the reception area. The only small neg part is location, it's in fact not so far from the BTS station but again you still need to walk like 4-500m I guess in a warm bangkok sometimes is not so pleasent, and the shuttle service has very less often so always better to take a cab, but again the traffic around Sathorn is almost impossible to travel with cab during day time. So if location is not a very big deal, it is ok here. However next time we might pay more and try Baan Anatara in rajchadumri instead.

Room Tip: Get a room with a city view
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mattfyr
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Tha hotel is amazing with all the amenities you need and very clean, modern and glamorous. Excellent value for money.
The room is fantatic, with a superb view, separate dining/lounge/kitchen area from the bedroom and a fantastic bathroom with a huge bathtube. 2 plasmas with internet for free.
The hotel's breakfast were fantastic - wide variety and good quality food.
the location its not the best, some problems with the taxi drivers but the hotel give cards with information in thai. it is short walk, maybe 5 minutes, to the skytrain.
I really dont like to pay for the 2 pages printing for my plane checkin online.
I will be back for sure and I recomend this hotel with any doubt.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank roger_martins
ANT_Sathorn, General Manager at Anantara Sathorn Bangkok Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Dear roger_martins

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mention we are located just a short walk from the Chong Nonsi BTS station, which is three stops from Siam , where all the major shopping is located.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

we stayed in the hotel with our 2 kids during june 2011 . The hotel was amazing with all modern ammenities one think of. The kitchen was good and we enjoyed our cooking very much. The building was high so the view fron appartment was amazing. The hotel is in the quite area of Sathorn so it is better for the Families.The size of the room was enough for the family of 4.We would like to stay here again & again.

Room Tip: Big And Beautiful. The room is good which will fulfill one's needs
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Dear sunil_8678

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us .
I was delighted to read your comments, and pleased you enjoyed your stay with us .

As you note our rooms are ideal for families, very comfortably accommodating adults and children or even two sets of adults travelling together. This obviously makes it a very affordable option for families. For future reference you may be interested in our family package where children “eat free” when dining with adults.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Anantara Bangkok Sathorn in teh near future.