“Wow! Cheap Luxury!”

Ranked #77 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Wow! Cheap Luxury!”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I thought the hotel was superb. Room was spacious and wonderfully decorated with superb views across the city from the balcony. Pool and gym (with sauna and steam rooms) offered a real sanctuary after a hard day's sight seeing around Bangkok.

The hotel is an easy 8-10 minute walk from Chong Nonsi Skytrain station which is by far the easiest way to travel around Bangkok.

Staff were superb, speaking a variety of languages at the front desk (I witnessed French, Italian and English being spoken fluently).

We booked through lastminute.com's mystery hotel and the rate was under 25 pounds a night; a real bargain. My only gripe was that I asked to book for the last two nights of our hols and was quoted the full rate, even when i showed my laptop to show I could sit down in their lobby and book the stay for half the price! So that's what I did!

Would recommend it.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This was our last hotel in our Asia trip. We stayed in a total of 8 hotels (4 stars or more) and this one was our biggest deception. On the surface, I have no major complaints, however, I would not stay here again. We opted for the deluxe room.

Pros:
Located close to the metro stations.
Spacious rooms.
Very reactive staff

Cons:
Hotel had a factory feel to it, meaning, there were too many guests around at any one time. The worst was at breakfast, when it felt like rush hour in Los Angeles. The wait staff was overwhelmed, we practically had to nudge our way through the buffet line, and the many of the foods were gone. It felt like a bad cafeteria experience instead of a 4* classy breakfast. During our entire Asia trip, this was the only time we had felt like ants in a colony. Also, the food was just OK. The quality wasn't as great as I had hoped it would be (ex: oily omelettes and an extremely small selection of fruit).

The room was very large, with a separate living room area, however, some parts were unkempt. I believe there are just too many rooms for the housecleaners to clean thoroughly. For example, the bathroom floor rug wasn't very clean and there was hair on the bathroom floor and in the shower.

We had a massage at the spa (in the same room, at the same time). The ladies were very kind, however, they were a bit heavy-handed. In their defense, they did ask if the pressure was OK (but they still remained a bit heavy-handed). The spa area, in itself, is very pretty and calm. Love the decoration! Oh, one suggestion, please change the undergarment given to men. My hubby had the same as me, and you could see clear through to his private area, which is quite embarrassing.

I would recommend this hotel for families on a budget who need a lot of space and a pretty good (overall) quality hotel. I would not recommend it for couples who are looking for a romantic, quaint, private resort or hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chanteusecrystal
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed at Anantara in a 1 bedroom apartment in July 2012 and the stay was incredible. The service was fantastic, they were always happy to help you out. The apartment was beautiful. We had a great view staying on the 34th floor. The buffet breakfast was amazing they had a wide range of food and we loved the room service. The location was quite central but there was not a lot around but it was very cheap for a tuk tuk or taxi and close to train and bus stations. All within a 10 minute walk. Loved it and would definently go there again and again.

Room Tip: One Bedroom was definently worth the extra, the deluxe studio was nice but a bit smaller. Free in r...
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My parents, together with my husband and I have stayed in a 2-bedroom suite in June and we love the whole experience.

Arriving very late we have been given a wonderful room on the executive floor (floor 30+). Nothing special with the interior décor but the rooms were very spacious, 1 ensuite and one separate bathroom.
2 baclonies, kitchen as well as a huge living and dining room.
If you want to use the kitchen for cooking, you would need to ask for some ustensils and cutlery/plates as there are none.

The Kasara lounge on the top floor offers outstanding views. Breakfast and afternoon snacks are served there. We particularly loved the evening cocktails and canapes served between 6-8.
Kasara floors come with other advantages such as free wireless internet and 500baht discount per day on laundry and dry cleaning.

The hotel might not have the best location in Bangkok but it is still very convenient. We used a cab all the time and although there is always a bit of traffic, we didn't find it bothering!
Very short distance to the famous Lumpinee thai box venue where we spent an exciting evening. I beleive sky train is only 5-10 min walk.
There is a 2 min walk grocery store where we could find absolutely everything.

The swiming pool is great, very big and pleasant as there were palm trees everywhere and there was hardly anyone there during the day. You can sip a fresh drink with a book beside it if you are not in for swimming.
Spa is available on site but pricey compared to the local thai massage places.

All in all the service and the staff are great, everybody spoke very good English and the concierge satisfied all the requests we had and organised all the tours we wanted to do.

May be the design needs to be a bit refreshed.
I will definately go back there.

Room Tip: Kasara executive floors, 30+, the views are very good
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I have never stayed in such a flash hotel and that's because a 5 star hotel in Australia is too expensive.We had in Bangkok what I would call an apartment. 2 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and stunning views.we spent 2 weeks there. Long enough to give an honest review.
The breakfasts were fresh, hot and such a variety.The staff were always polite and helpful.
It was a 5 minute walk to tuk tuks and taxis and there are a huge amount of restaurants up and down the street as well as a very close supermarket.
I particularly loved the pool area and my family loved the gym and used it every day and the cleanliness was beyond clean.
I have no hesitation recommending this hotel to travellers to Bangkok.

Room Tip: For an amazing view and free wifi- book a room above the 25th floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bevanos_12
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Two remarks concerning the majority of the critiques here;

1. There is NOTHING wrong with the location. Some people are just to lazy to move there bums around the corner o reach public transportation. Plus the taxis are so cheap...

2. Why is hardly anyone writing about the Kasara lounge? It's extremely nice and absolutely worth, go there, you will not regret it!!!!!! Kasara lounge, ok? Good!

We took a lot of time to find the perfect place in Bkk for our last 4 days and of course where also looking for best value. I think we found it! For the first 3 night we where at the 27th floor which already offered great views of Bkk. The last night we changed to a Kasara room on the 34th of 36 floors and the view was even better!

We where welcomed by a bloke from the Italian speaking part of Switzerland who was pleased to speak Italian. He was very friendly and natural and the staff generally is very nice. Just once when I was asking for medicine for my sick gf, they kind of pissed me off a bit.

The entrance is a bit hidden and the lobby is nice but nothing remarkable. But the room(1 bedroom suite) was great! Huge and spotless, maybe a bit cold, but we really enjoyed the suite! Minibar prices were simply too much. No way we even ate some nuts from there! We ordered Pizzas which came pretty quickly and were average, but halfprice, so ok.

The pool is nice and long and the gym excellent. I also enjoyed the sauna, the steambath was smelly ;(

Now to the last night! We upgraded to a Kasararoom which was 1200 Bht + taxes for the two of us. It meant a room on the top floors and access to the exclusive lounge which was not crowded at all. The view and the ambiance alone made it worth it. But then you get snacks and nonalcoholic drinks all day long including Perrier and superbe espressi! The best part was the time between 6 and 8 in th evening. you can have as many cocktailsm glasses of Champagne and white wine and beers(imported and Thai) as you want plus there is a "Apéro-buffet". Well, that buffet was so rich and diverse and tasty that we didn't go out to eat latter, we where more than full after some cocktails accompanied by many small plates of delicious items! Breakfast is served there as well and although the buffet is smaller, I found it absolutely sufficient!

Overall; very pleasant stay! And again; spend some extra $ and go Kasara! Then you also get tips from very friendly gaylord being the manager up there. He'll also do reservations for you etc.!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My two friends and I stayed at the Anantara Bangkok Sathorn hotel for 5 nights during SongKran which is the Thai new Year. We where pleasantly surprised with the hotel as the service and friendliness of staff was great. We had a very large and spacious 2 bedroom suite. It was perfect with a stunning view and a 2 balconies. The kitchen was fully equipped and there was even a washing machine. The amenities, furniture, etc.. were of highest quality and all in all perfect condition. The pool area was great with double sunbeds, whirlpool and a pool.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends