“Another enjoyable stay let down by lazy room service / kitchen staff.”

Anantara Sathorn Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #78 of 861 Hotels in Bangkok
UK
“Another enjoyable stay let down by lazy room service / kitchen staff.”
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Well what can I say about this hotel that has gone from being a Radisson to new ownership in a little over a year since it newly opened. On my first visit when the hotel was still a Radisson I stayed in the studio room which although mostly adequate was a little on the small side for myself, my wife and our 2 year old daughter so this time under the newly named Sathorn Heritage hotel we opted for the one bedroom apartment.

The first thing I would say is that if you can afford it go for the one bedroom option, it will add greatly to the enjoyment of your stay due to the added space and extra facilities. Whatever your choice you will find the rooms spotless in every aspect. The hotel has a great pool and gym and the staff are mostly of a very cheerful disposition. The ABF is good, even when taken later in the morning.

The only downside to our second visit (and it was a BIG downside) was concerning the advertised 24 hour room service menu. On contacting the 'at your service' staff, all of us starving hungry at 23:00, following a long day out we were unceremoniously told that the kitchen was closed and the only food available was a mozzarella cheese sandwich (and even that seemed like it might be too much trouble)....not what you would expect of 5 star hotel gourmet cooking shall we say!
On asking for confirmation of what we had been told the on duty Manager did just that but on realising how upset a hungry man with a hungry wife and child can be when they have relied on the hotels own literature for their eating plans did relent and say that she would ask again.
But alas the moment had been lost, the last thing anybody wants is food made by upset and angry kitchen staff who have not wanted to cook in the first place!

Now anyone that has stayed at this hotel will know that there are few eating opportunities near the hotel at any time of the day let alone late at night so that was that, all we could do was go to bed hungry. Added to this the in room service menu also contained no prices which was also a world first on me. It had contained prices on my previous visit when still a Radisson, what had gone wrong and where was the hotels attention to detail?

On leaving the hotel I was asked as always whether we had enjoyed our stay and on telling the front desk staff of our experience they were clearly shocked. They confirmed that the hotel did indeed provide a 24 hour room service menu and could only apologise. In short we had been lied to by the kitchen staff.

However the nice thing about this bad experience is to find a management team in place that appreciates and acts quickly on its customer’s comments even when it is news they would rather not hear. Following my departure I received both personal emails and a phone call from the General Manager Mr Samir R Wildemann who to his credit made no excuses and was very sincere. I understand that Mr Wildemann has now addressed the problems that I experienced so future customers should be able to enjoy 24 hour in room dining without encountering what we experienced, which is very good news indeed as the food at this hotel is very tasty indeed!

Finally it was greatly appreciated that the Sathorn Heritage forwarded my daughter's swimsuit to our new address free of charge after we inadvertently left it hanging in the bathroom of our apartment.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank 747

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Reviewed 25 September 2010

First of all let me say about the hotel staff at the reception.They were very very good.They give each and very minute details of every places we want to go.Hotel is having a very good ambience.Breakfast had vast variety of selection.staffs at restaurant were not cooperative.iT would have been good if the hotel too provided the customers with tour programmes.overall the service was very good with excellent staffs at the front desk.i would recommend this hotel 100 perecent to everyone..if we get a chance we will come again and again to stay at the same hotel.we spend 3 nights here

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Stayed @ Sathorn Heritage for 5 Days,Great Experience indeed, further more I was greeted with a Room upgrade ! Staffs have no communication problem at all, English was Up to Par.

The Theme of my trip is "Eat, Shop and Relax"
Eat - Look out for Great Local Food
Shop - Needless to say It is Bangkok
Relax - The reason behind I choose a good value 5 Star Hotel !

The breakfast served by the Hotel was splendid, you won't get bored as it have some changes from day to day. The Quality and Variety was great no complains at all, every morning I was greeted by pleasant staff members.

Service was good , I ordered a suit to be sent to the Hotel on day 2, to my surprise a written note and an e-message was left at the TV Screen. Given the option to self collect or sent over by the bellboy. I was tired that night so I request to send over, service was immediate, this is one of the bellboy I forgotten to tip as I was too tired that night. Thou wasn't given tip he left with a smile, unlike some other places I experience in Bangkok even given insufficient tip a sour face will immediately show up!

Location wise it wasn't the best among other Hotel in Bangkok, but I am way ok with it. The Hotel is slightly hard to find, landmark wise you can take AIA as reference, as it is located just right behind it, on top of it a Jap/Korean restaurant located at the AIA building as well.

For those who Intend to go for shopping (@ Chatuchak or Siam/Platinium/MBK etc) or any other location. The traveling options were:
1) By Cab
2) Walk for 1.4km to the nearest BTS (Chong Nong SI - 20/5 Bath to Siam)
3) Shuttle Service by the Hotel (8am , 11am , 2pm, 5pm & 7pm) to either Chong Nong Si (BTS)> Silom (BTS/MRT) > Lumphini (MRT) > Sathorn
4) Take a BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) just Right infront of the AIA Building to Chong Nong Si (10 Bath) then BTS
5) Tuk Tuk
* I have tried option 2-5, and mostly I use option 2 where I get to explore the nearby surrounding

Each night I had a good night sleep, the bed was big, nice and clean, I even make use of the bath tub for deep relaxation after one full day of activities. Every night I am able to surf the net and watch some nice Movie before shutting my eyes.

On my very last day, my flight was late at night, the hotel have the courtesy to allow their guest to use the facility even after you check out form your room. So I took the opportunity to clean myself up and had a relaxing sauna and steam bath before heading to the airport.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Stayed here for two nights. Welcome was good and very helpful to accomodate our requests including Packed breakfast on first day although quality was not that great. Breakfast in house was excellent - great range and included newspapers and Engligh Tea amongst a great overall selection including Guava juice. Room was tight but good and bathroom was excellent. One of the best entertainmemt/media systems I've seen on the TV including free internet and seperate free wifi. Bathroom was very good with own walk in shower. Whilst hotel is a little out of the way it is still only 10/15 mins walk to what I regard as the main centre of BKK. Great value and would stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Shanghai
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We visit Bangkok for the weekend about 4 times a year and always stay at Pathuwat Princess hotel which has great gym, swimming facilities, new rooms, and nice breakfast.

This time we decided to try something new and stayed at Sathorn Heritage:
1) Absolutely amazing value for money. Our hotel room had two bedrooms each with bathroom, amazing views of city, big living area, free internet on TV, clean and new - all for 30USD per person
2) Swimming pool is great - 25 meter outdoor swimming pool and a nicey fitted out gym with sauna and steam room
3) A very nice breakfast which was included in the price
4) We fell in love with Sathorn area. We actually did a lot of walking and some great eateries close by:
a) Closest by is a Thai & Italian restaurant. Walk out of the hotel onto Narathiwat turning left..a few minutes down the road on the left hand side...the oustide part of the restaurant is run by the daughter and her mom is american (dad thai)...yummy food...250 baht for 3 people
b) Venture up South Sathorn Rd...on the right hand side two thai restaurants in traditional thai houses with gardens....one called Secret Gaden, the other Baan Kitchen
c) Night Bizarre is within walking distance up South Sathorn Rd
5) True that taxi drivers find it difficult to find but just say NARATHIWAT Soi 6...it's right next to new Busway station....our taxi tonight was pleasantly suprised and said "this is very exclusive"
7) Personalized messages from friend who called, staff all very professional and nice
8) would consider living in the serviced apartments if i were to like in BKK! That's how good it was!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Dover
Reviewed 2 September 2010

My Partner and have been staying at the Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, Thailand for three days and have just checked out.

I just cant fault this hotel! From the moment we arrived, quite late at night we were made to feel very welcome. Our room was on the 31st floor, and wow what a view from our balcony. One of the many things I like about this hotel is it's great location, it is far enough away from the busy streets as it is set back down a driveway, BUT you can easily walk to the Sky Train and bus links from the hotel.

The room we stayed in was lovely, one of the best I have ever stayed in, it was so spacious with a seating area, coffee table, desk & chair, large tv, telephone, big wardrobe, iron/ironong board, bath robes, safe, gorgeous big bed, a walk in shower you could have fit 6 people in, free wi-fi and balcony.

It also has a lovely large pool and outside seating area which I am sitting at as I write my review and its just GORGEOUS!

Breakfast was so nice with a great selection of fruits, youghurts, cereals, breads, many different asian dishes that tasted so so nice, ta raditional English, selection of cakes, breads, lovely coffee and juices, but best of all it had peanut butter!!! got a ten out of ten in my book for that alone!!!!!!!.

The staff
Well what I can say, the service was perfect, all staff from reception, porters, door staff, staff out breakfast, the chefs at breakfast, the bar, the gym and housekeepers were so polite and friendly and helpfull, just really really good at what they do. They pay great attention to detail, it's all about getting it right here down to even measuring the gaps in between the tables at breakfast with a tape measure!. The manager of this hotel should be so proud of his hotel and best of all, the fantastic staff he/she have here.

I would advise anyone to stay at this hotel because I for me it was perfect 10 / 10 !!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Bangkok
Reviewed 31 August 2010

The Siam Heritage is a very very nice property undergoing a rebranding and for those lucky enough to visit I know you'lI find it's the best deal in town, from the giant "WAI" I received as I pulled into the property to the last big smile I received as I left, I was truly amazed at the magic they are making.

You'll find the management team led by Khun Samir will exceed your expectations with a very relaxed but professional spirit of hospitality.
And the food
Delicious, bountiful, creative and expertly presented. EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT. Each and every one of their team members were ready with a smile and to help anyone in anyway.

I hope you all will discover this gem in Bangkok

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business