“An experience!”

Ranked #3,925 of 10,821 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: View, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Thai Dining TheatreA total sensory experience and journey into the heart and soul of your host country, Maya combines live show cooking, contemporary Thai dance and a theatrical performance of service that has to be seen to be believed! The performers all herald from the Patravadi Theatre, run by Thailand’s leading artist of modern Performing art, Patravadi Mejudon.Curtain opens : 7 pmShow starts : 7.30pm
Oxford, United Kingdom
“An experience!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Visited on the 2nd of August 2013.

Be hungry when you go! There are about 15 courses, all fairly small, of Thai food in this fixed menu restaurant. Some are spicy and others aren't. Almost all were delicious. It was a great way to experience many different types of Thai dish, it's just a shame I felt so full by the end!

The show by the waitresses and the four dedicated dancers of different types of Thai dancing was very good given that it was performed in the restaurant itself. The restaurant overlooks the river, but your attention is almost always inside. It was certainly an experience I'd recommend if you have time. We booked, but at this time of year it wasn't necessary.

The Hilton 360 bar in the same hotel also has very good views; it's inside so it's a good alternative to some of the other rooftop bars in Bangkok if it's raining.

Visited August 2013

West Midlands
“Special evening out ruined”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Having read some pretty good reviews we decided to give the Maya restaurant (at the Bankok Millenium Hilton) a try. This was to be a special night out for us and we were really looking forward to a great meal with great entertainment.
To cut a long story short, we were one of only two couples eating that evening and expected to have an intimate meal in a nice ambiance. All was going well until the third course when a camera crew started shuffling around in the background behind the dancers. On inquiry we found that the hotel had organised a promotional film to be made without any prior notice or permission from us.
We expressed a desire not to be filmed and the manager, after expressing astonishment that we were not happy to be a part of the Hilton's advertising campaign, agreed to move the crew behind a screen.
Anyway a course and a half later I noticed that my partner was squinting rather badly as she tried to watch the dancer, who incidently was no longer dancing anywhere near to us. I then realised that the powerful video lighting was garing directly over my shoulder and into her face.
Game over. We stood up, told the staff that we had had enough and offered to pay for the food we had consumed so far. The staff were really good, declined our offer, and apologised. However our evening had been ruined and we were very disappointed.
Incidentally: this would not have been a cheap meal and some of the attential to detail was badly lacking. As a couple of examples, no finger cleansing was provided (an essential when eating this type of food) and my order of a diet Coke was presented in the form of a can (unopned) plonked upon the table next to my glass. I have to say that at about £5 a pop, a 330ml can of Coke plonked on the table was a bit of an insult.
When we go back to Bangkok we will not be returning to the Millenium Hilton, there are to many really good restaurants to visit!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank WillTheWombat
Bali, Indonesia
“A delightful evening of delicious food, entertainment and good fun”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I came to this restaurant once before for work function in 2010, not knowing anything about the dining concept and was blown away. So during our recent trip to Bangkok, I took my husband to Maya.

We made a reservation for Saturday night and the person taking the reservation asked us what was our level of tolerance with spices. I thought this was a good gesture as we both love spicy food, and I really mean SPICY.

The restaurant was dimly lighted and it sure did exude the feeling of "theater-like". Servers were dressed in beautiful Thai silks to add to the atmosphere. We particularly like the seating arrangements, where small, low tables (almost coffee-table like) were placed surrounding the area. This made the atmosphere a little more relaxed, but still special. Dinner was 13 courses (yes, I counted): 6 starters / appetizers, 1 sorbet, 5 mains and 1 dessert. Each course was beautifully presented in individual portions and everything from the beef salad and Masaman curry to pad thai were full of flavors.

The entertainment was 'timed' with each course and throughout the night, we were treated to a number of unique performances, featuring different types of dance. The only thing I would recommend to management is to perhaps provide a little flyer explaining about each dance/performance. At times it was a little difficult to listen to the explanation.

All in all this was a great experience. If you would like to try a variety of Thai food (authentic too!), enjoy a show but would like to experience something different, this is the place for you. A dining experience not to be missed!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank classic_bobster
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic Show and Food Variety”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We discovered this restaurant in our hotel, The Millennium Hilton in Bangkok. It is a dinner show that intertwines Thai dance with Thai food. MANY courses of food are presented with dance segments in between. Don't eat a big lunch as this is a large meal spread out over 3 hours. The setting is beautiful, with themed lighting and overlooking the river below and the city beyond. Great service and very entertaining, and the food was great as well.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Kensnavely
Osaka, Japan
“Hospitality plus”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The highlight of our stay in Bangkok was the Maya restaurant and cultural performance,In the Hilton Milennium. My daughter and I went to the restaurant to check what seating was available (It really doesn’t matter where you sit). We were made to feel like valued quests from the moment we entered. The hostess/manager? was absolutely wonderful. When we entered later that evening, staff we had never met knew our names and were we had chosen to sit. The whole culinary and dance performance is a great introduction to Thailand, in a personal and hospitable environment. It happened to my the Queens birthday & the Thai Mothers-day the evening we went, which added to the celebration. So often people resent working public holidays, here they were wanting to share it with us.
We went with our 10 year-old daughter who is very much into dance, while she loved the show and the attention she got, the food is aimed at a much more mature age group. It would be best to talk to any children you are thinking of bring, even teens, to see if the really want to go. Otherwise it could be an expensive disappointment.
You can add to the evening by staying in the Hilton, which often has great weekend rates.

• Visited August 2011