“Convenient to BTS”

Ranked #470 of 1,241 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
“Convenient to BTS”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I was so pleased I knew this hotel from previous visits. During the recent demonstrations when mobs thronged the streets our taxi was unable to get us to the hotel where we had booked near Khaosan road. We decided to take the BTS to the King Royal (it is precisely twenty paces from the stairs of the BTS to the entrance to the hotel) and hope they had a room open, which they did.

I have stayed here on a few one night stopovers when visiting Bangkok en route to Laos, Cambodia and Bali. When you land as Suvarnabhumi, take the train from the airport on the Silom line and jump off at Surasak.

The price is very reasonable and the rooms are large and clean with a coffee station in the room. There is a rooftop pool and a jacuzzi- ideal for a quiet drink after a long airplane journey; just mind how you step on the decking which is loose in places!

There is a shop to the left of the entrance of the building where one can buy beverages. One word of warning: there is only the Blue Elephant Restaurant next door - which is a gastronomic experience and often booked out, so be prepared to have to take the train or a taxi to find any other restaurants as this hotel is in the financial district - just big office blocks around the area or take a walk down to the Taksin Bridge to get a ferry. The area by the bridge is a bit dodgy at night as homeless people and dogs seem to sleep there.

Breakfast may or may not be included in your internet booking - just check when you book - and is quite plain but adequate however they really need to spray for the odd crawling insect in the breakfast room!

All in all reasonable and convenient.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,439 helpful votes
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This review is quite late. I traveled to Bangkok with three family members and booked a 2-Bedroom Suite at the King Royal Garden Inn for one night. The special online rate I got was a real bargain. We were pleasantly surprised to see the size of the suite, it was really big and has plenty of space; one bedroom came with two queen size beds and the other with a king size bed. There was a viewing room with LED TV set and large comfortable leather sofa set. Also there is a functional kitchen where you can cook your own food. Adequate cooking wares and utensils were also provided, including an electric kettle, complimentary coffee, tea, sugar and creamer in sachet packs.

The suite had a view of South Sathorn Road, a major thoroughfare and the BTS Surasak Station. There was a convenience store nearby, and down the road is a local restaurant and beer joint serving delicious barbeque (fish and meat).

The best thing about the King Royal Garden Inn is the rooftop swimming pool. We had a great time splashing at the pool and taking photos with the tall commercial buildings making up the Bangkok skyline at the backdrop.

My family and I enjoyed our short trip to Bangkok and the King Royal Garden Inn was a big factor for this. We will definitely stay here when we return to Bangkok.

Room Tip: The suite facing South Sathorn Road and BTS Surasak Station gives an excellent view of the city.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank pinoytraveller2
Hong Kong
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I traveled to Bangkok with my mother for 5 days staying in the captioned hotel. at the 2nd night when I returned my room, my luggage was found being prised open with the lock damaged and one hundred Australian Dollars (AUD100.00) were stolen. I immediately reported to the hotel management but they just replied their manage was off and requested me to wait until his return for reviewing the cctv records without any action taken or called police. however, nobody contact me since then and I went to police station on the next day morning.
at the police station, the police hadn't records my details and just phoned the hotel about 3 times seemed discussing or negotiating with the hotel management. shortly later, a box of cakes were sent to the police station from unknown sources. during the last call between police and the hotel staff, the police passed the phone to me and the female staff on call asked me to return at first alleging their manager will accompany me to make police report again.

As a result, the police didn't give me any record and I returned the hotel. after return the hotel, I requested to change room or tidy my room but the staff refused replying my room needed to be investigated but hadn't explained why I could still live in and no room services any more in the rest days. By the evening, an unknown male kept testing to open my room door with a room card (key) and declared to be the person-in-charge when being queried. We then went to review the cctv records & my room entry records. Laughably, there was no entry record in the case occurred morning but I'd got in & out several times before going for fun with mother. THE RECORDS seemed being amended/modified/deleted after I reported the theft case. in addition, there were 2 unknown males (obviously Thais) appeared in cctv records acting suspiciously but the manager replied didn't know them then asked other staff to see. the female staff firstly said they were Italians but then said they were staff of hotel. When I asked the manager again, he agreed they were staff this time but didn't respond when I further asked where they were.
Moreover, the manager refused to go police station with me although the female staff alleged he would in the earlier time. In the mid-night, I decided to make police again at the same police station with another police on duty. The police seemed didn't know anything in day time because there was no record of my report. Then, the police then formally took statement with me and provided a police report receipt to me.

However, on the last day I woke up in the morning, I found the position of luggages & window were changes ..... someone had entered my room again ... ...... OMG, nothing can be trusted from this HOTEL and I won't book or visit any more.

P.S. 1. my room's wifi was switched off since I made police report.
2. I've posted the same at the agoxx.com & rated 0 to this hotel but the website master
deleted the theft case and changed the rating to 5 stars .... ridiculous

Room Tip: check the window shut. DO NOT trust this inn staff! DO NOT believe there is safety put any propert...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Homei_Simpson

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

stayed 1 week big room size this hotel is doing up some of the rooms so was not many on my floor.... a visit to the family mart down stairs for cockroach spray to spray around under fridge ect and that problem was fixed for the rest of my stay..pool was clean and on the roof good views decking needs updating. staff are good breakfast is in a small room small selection but ok for the price but they must do some thing about the bugs running a round in that area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have stayed twice in this hotel and I'll stay again. It's conveniently located, right next to BTS Surasak. The rooms are spacious. The place is a little old, but at the price and the added attraction of a swimming pool, its unbeatable. The staff was very helpful. We requested for a change of rooms since the AC in the room we were in did not work. They gave us another room promptly.
I read all the negative reviews and was expecting cockroaches and spiders. But I did not see any fortunately.
The beauty parlor is a boon. You can get your hair washed and styled for just 200 bahts.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Excellent location for the money, in front of the sky train, Surasak station. Friendly and helpful staffs. Some rooms have recently renovated. Breakfast is basic and ok. Gym is located on the top of the building with a swimming pool . Thanks Gong.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Brian H
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Travelled from 30 August - 1 September 2013

This hotel is about 2 to 2 1/2 stars.

Pros
- It is right outside Surasak BTS
- It is not very expensive, about 40 - 50 dollars per room per night
- gave me extra blanket and pillows for my baby daughter as there is no baby cot

Cons
- Breakfast is minimal, 2 eggs, 1 sausage, free flow of white n wheat bread
- no baby cot
- poor staff attitude (totally sucks)

The receptionist's attitude sucks big-time. note there is no language barrier as my wife is thai.

On the last day, we requested for a late check-out and they granted us check-out at 2pm. However, as my flight is 7+pm, I decided to pay a half-day rate and extend it to 4.30pm instead. We were informed half-day rate was 500 baht, BUT WERE NOT TOLD that half-day
lasted until 4pm ONLY. We specifically said that we wanted to check out at 4.30pm and was quoted 500 baht.

At 4.30pm when we went down, we were told we had to pay 1000 baht, the full day rate, as we had exceeded their timing. Fine, I am unhappy but willing to pay. My wife did try to reason with them saying that they did not specify the timing and we had an infant daughter to take care of, somemore it was just half an hour, they could be more flexible.

They responded with this stinger:" We are not a 5-star hotel, if you want flexibility and benefits as accorded a 5-star hotel, go and find one to stay."

AS it was spoken in thai, I only knew when my wife told me when we reached Singapore. Therefore, I urge those who cannot stand such service not to stay here. An additional 500 baht is nothing, but to have someone say such things is totally out of character.

My next stay on Sept 27-29, I have booked Grand Eastin Sathorn, a 5-star hotel. I rather pay more for good service than to suffer lousy service such as those dished out by the receptionist.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family