“Horrific Place - a hotel nightmare.”
Review of Mystic Place

Mystic Place
Ranked #147 of 752 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Horrific Place – a hotel nightmare.

When I and my wife arrived at the hotel (Mystic Place Bangkok) they had no idea we were coming. They had obviously ignored our Agoda booking and/or overbooked the hotel and tried to give us a room at street level even though I had made reservations for a room higher up. I always do this for safety reasons.

The first room they showed us stank of mold and damp. We had a shock and asked for another room which was at floor 5 which we can´t use because my wife’s´ 65-year old mother was going to come visit us and Mystic Place have no elevators. So far I have never been to a hotel that doesn´t understand and cater to such a request. Until now that is (read other reviews further down). That room was very worn down to by the way and the “garden” or whatever it was supposed to be on the balcony looked like it had been nuked.
Then they tried to give us a room at the third floor which was also infested with a sewer like smell of excrements and mold. We turned on the taps and tried to air the room for 30 minutes and then gave up and left the worst hotel we have ever been in. We could almost not breathe when we left the hotel which I now have renamed Horrific Place. My wife had an asthma attack and my throat choked up so much my voice changed. The place is completely run down and a victim of no maintenance rather than low maintenance (read other reviews further down).

I requested a 100 % refund on my booking since we couldn´t stay there. They said that we had to take this up with Agoda. And boy have I ever!

So I contacted the Agoda customer service (which is great!) and I only got one of our two nights credited from Mystic Place.
Their first reason for this is that they offered us 3 rooms: two smelled like death and one was on the fifth floor and really worn down as stated above.
AND GET THIS!
Their second reason was that we had booked a room above ground level. Then why was the first room they tried to give us at ground level? Duh! It is so pathetic an excuse that it is actually really, really, funny! Talk about getting busted. They still prefer to ignore answering this in each of the replies from Mystic House the amazing customer service of Agoda have forwarded to me.

They either don’t care about the Agoda bookings because they have to pay commission or are unable to open their mailbox OR they screen their mails and choose what to read and answer. Another poignant fact that reveals it is in fact so is that they never replied to my query about helping us with transfer from the airport. It was sent to the Mystic House mailbox via the Agoda home page about a week before we arrived. Busted again!

They had simply missed/ignored our booking on Agoda (which I understood from the receptionists’ expression when we arrived and her comment that we should have called before we arrived!). So they tried to give us rooms that they couldn´t even possibly rent out for a dog with three legs. The worst hotel and behavior from hotel staff ever, EVER, in our life.

They tried to treat us like idiots instead of apologizing and refunding us. Bad mistake, hence this comment from us. And I will tell everybody who wants to listen. It is already on the web. Maybe it will go viral!
I say as Dr. David Banner in the Incredible Hulk: don´t make me angry, you wouldn´t like me when I´m angry…. It´s a matter of principles for me now. I am educated, intelligent and the owner of a small high-tech AV-company with a turnover of maybe THB 20´000´000 and I wouldn´t be able to sleep at night if I treated my customers like this, especially if I tried to treat them like idiots.

The only positive thing I can say about Mystic Place is that the poor young man who hauled our bags up and down the stairs is a superstar. Please hotel owners of Bangkok: give him a job at a good hotel.

All I asked for was a refund, now I want a refund and an excuse because of their lame attempts to shift the blame to their guests when they systematically do like this (read other reviews further down).

A tip about eating out is to cross the street from Mystic House and eat at Gnoo Kui (or how the #¤/”* they spell it!). Really tasty and cheap (in the good sense!), plastic furniture, dogs running around and people who lead their motorbikes past the tables to get to their apartments in the back of the building: typical Bangkok and I love it!

Mr. Mats Eriksson, Sweden.

Below are some other reviews from Trip Advisor that kind of summons up my experience of Mystic Place Hotel in Bangkok. I am pretty certain the rooms in the last two reviews are the same as they tried to trick us into staying in (this proves they consistently do this!). And the impression in the first review that Agoda bookings are discriminated is exactly what I experienced. Enjoy!

“Good location but service needs improvement.”
Reviewed March 15, 2013
We booked the hotel for a 3-night stay via Agoda and decided that we will try a different room each night, as we heard Mystic Place has cool design rooms. And we made known our room requests to them during our booking. However, on arrival, we can't help but felt that Agoda bookings are discriminated. The front desk staff informed us that they will give priority to direct booking guests, and advised us to do so. Nonetheless we insisted and they gave way, but gave us whatever choices left. We tried the in-house massage, at a slight premium to outside ones, and would recommend it to those who prefer a softer massage. If you like street food, there are plenty outside at night, along the road. Also, while they do provide free tutuk to Chatuchat, you will have to find your own way back after all the shopping...
• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

“Mystic Place”
Reviewed December 3, 2012
Stayed here for 1 night (thank god) only recently while in Bangkok. I was so excited to come to this hotel and was extremely disappointed!
We had booked the Bird's Nest room but because we arrived early it wasn't available and were given the Natty Polly room. Now i like a bit of kitsch and a bit of quirky but this was just plain bad taste. There were Telly Tubbies, Mickey & Minnie Mouse, random plastic toys etc all over the place and it was totally tacky.
The floor was concrete and it was absolutely filthy. I kept my sandals on but my daughter took hers off and her feet were black in 10 minutes. The overall feel of the room was tatty and dusty and just felt unclean. There was a double bed and single bed but we both decided to stay in the double bed because the single bed looked so unappealing. The mosquito net around the bed was dusty!
Now i've no idea what the room that we were meant to have was like but we did see in next doors room and that didn't look any better either.
I was so disappointed with this hotel as i selected it due to it's themed rooms and it also seemed to have good reviews (a few bad i saw), maybe the backpackers seem to like it but it was terrible.
The hotel also claims to be next door to the JJ Market which it isn't, though it's not too far away and the hotel does have a free shuttle to get there and make your own way back.
• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
P
“Great Hotel, disappointing room”
Reviewed October 30, 2012
The style of the hotel lived up to the website. Lot of thought and time has gone into the hotel to make it unique. Staff very attentive. Relaxed atmosphere in lobby and coffeeshop. Food very good.

Unfortunately the elevator was broken and our room, 'Bloom' was on the top floor.

Room was very large but under-maintained. There were not a great deal of plants and flowers as indicated by website, there were large areas of bare concrete floor, and the pots on the balcony were full of weeds. Also air-con not great quality. Unfortunately this room failed to meet my expectation of being an oasis in the concrete jungle of Bangkok.

The location is good for Don Mueang Airport, Immigration Office and Bang Sue Railway Junction, and next door to hotel are several wonderful and cheap Isaan eateries. A good walk to Metro station and Chatuchak market. Short taxi ride to temples and to Khao San Road. Not a good location for Sukhumvit nightlife.
• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
o Service

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mats E

Reviewed 25 March 2013

stayed here for 5 nights.Many say its location is its usp but it felt very impractical for me. Its in the city but not in a touristy or in a central position. 800 mtrs from BTS station but getting a 2 or 4 wheeler taxi is easy.There are many local restaurants in the visibility and two or three 7/11 supermarkets.Rooms are big and themed .About the service staffs are friendly and helpful. all over i liked this hotel...........

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This is the 3rd time I had stay in this hotel and it wouldn't be the last time....I love almost all there is about this hotel...friendly service, especially the uniqueness design of the room...The price is also great for the size of the room....I love the fact that most room come with living room and a balcony. Although it is far away from the city but traveling by taxi is heaven in bangkok...So that is not a problem for me...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank samtly7097
Reviewed 6 March 2013

My sister and I searched for a nice but cheap hotel for the family and found Mystic Place Hotel online because of its interesting room designs and features. True enough, the rooms assigned to us were surprisingly big (that we thought we could have booked one room for the 5 of us), clean and unique to our own taste.

Going there- from the aiport, we took the skytrain and took off at BTS Saphan Khwai station. We exited at Exit 1, and from there we had a hard time looking for Pradipat Road and where exactly the hotel, so we thought maybe we could have taken a taxi instead. Location- wise, there were a lot of street food around the corners, spa centers, convenient stores, and I must say it is safe to walk even at night within the vicinity.

Food and staff: On a weekend, there is a buffet offered by the hotel served during breakfast. There were noodles, rice, bread, yoghurt, and whole lot more served from 6-10 am. They have a cafe beside the hotel which is also good but I think were a bit pricey. The staff were always helpful and accommodating to all our requests. They even change towels everyday and clean the rooms whenever we go out for our tour.

Rooms - We got room 401 and 402, but we liked 402 (Bird's Nest) better because of its massive bathroom, veranda, and a small sofa bed, which is really ideal for family with kids. There is a mini ref, dryer, and strong wifi connection. Inside the rooms, it was totally cozy! the beds were big for two!

Note: The hotel has a free service to the Chatuchak weekend market.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Camille I
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We just stayed a night here. We partly chose it because we had an early flight out of Don Muang airport - for reference the taxi took around 25 minutes and cost 150THB - there was a traffic jam approaching the airport at 5:30 in the morning (although this might have been due to the end of CNY).

We had the Chinese Style room. The room is large and comfortably furnished, and has a massive bathroom. If you remember Reflections, the design is similar to some of their rooms. The one complaint I have about the room we had was the 'swing style' doors to the bathroom. They were noisy! Otherwise, comfortable and fine.

The price - 1800 THB - is a little high I think for what you get; basically you are paying for the quirkiness.

Nearby there are lots of small street eating places in the evening; lots of choices to eat. There is also a Big C nearby, but the food in its court was not so good.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drumbrake
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel just one night as I had plans to visit Chatuchak. Hotel has different themed rooms. The room I stayed in was trash chic. The decor of the room was built out of waste. It was an excellent idea.
Location wise I would say it is not bang-on. I would say Mo-chit is on one far end of the city.
I tried locating the hotel all by myself from the BTS station it was quite difficult. Not If you take a taxi I am sure you would definitely find it easily.
The hotel offers Tuk-tuk service to BTS and Chatuchak on an hourly basis.
The service is efficient. They have a cafe called as mystic cafe prices are very reasonable but the portion is less.
The hotel served breakfast too. But on the downside vegetarian choice was limited to toast.
For Non-Vegetarians I would say nothing is an issue.
No noise and my room had a small balcony facing the road good enough for a laid back morning tea.
I will surely recommend this hotel for a short stay

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends