“Location, location, location”

At Hua Lamphong Hostel
Ranked #136 of 1,344 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The only place we will ever stay at again in Bangkok. Originally booked 4 nights but quickly added 5 more when we discovered for ourselves that all the positive reviews did not exaggerate how good it was.
All I can add to the other reviews is to highlight the excellence of the food and staff in the small restaurant.
Having the "hotel" book all our train tickets ahead of time was priceless.
Looking forward to returning there again.

Room Tip: Pay for the double in the front. Yes its noisier, but loved the view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 February 2012

It definitely had more of a hotel feel than a hostel, our room was amazing (the only hostel out of a lot with a separate shower!). The staff were great, we got free water and clean towels everyday, very close to the subway and train station. However, the subway ends at hua lamphong so the only way to get in to the city centre was by an hour bus ride(7 baht!) or taxi, that was fine but finding the bus stops to get back to the hostel seemed impossible and you would need to haggle with tuk tuk drivers every time, don't pay more than 60-70 baht from the city centre, that is still very expensive for Thais. The only negative point about our room (deluxe double private bathroom) was that we were on the main road and the curtains were quite thin so we got woken up by light and vehicles often.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My fav hostel, my fav neighborhood, my fav staff, my fav city.
Laundry+wifi+safety+food+lovely staff+subway that takes you everywhere. You get lost ? Just say Hualompong and there you are ! It is the best. And AWAY FROM the chaOtic KhaoSan.
We stayed 4 nights and went back 2 months and felt like home. The guests are backpackers but not d**h**ds. PERFECT !

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 5 February 2012

As many others have stated, this place is perfect for anyone arriving or departing Bangkok via train. Having been to Bangkok before and staying in the Khao San Rd and Sukhumvit areas, this was a new location for me. Its advantage over Khao San Rd is the proximity to the Metro at Huamphalong, but other than Chinatown, its not that close to the 'major' sights.

I booked a private single ensuite room and was pleased to end up in a spacious double (don't know if that would always be the case). Much better than many hotel rooms I've stayed in. Modern bathroom, LCD tv, free in-room safe, free wifi and a/c. I was on the 5th floor, which was a bit of a pain with no lift!

Common areas were great with computers and guidebooks available in reception. Nice little cafe serving food and drinks. There looked a pleasant common/tv room on the 1st floor with a large tv for movies. I was able to leave my bags for the day after checking out and to grab a quick shower before my evening train.

Its not the cheapest hostel, but then that's probably because its more of a hotel standard. If I was using the train to/from Bangkok again I wouldn't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank majp81
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I booked this place as i was arriving via train from Penang. Overall, the location of this place is quite good as it is located just beside the BTS Station. You will find it across the street from the Railway station between 2 of the BTS station exit points. The room i booked was a standard double bed room so we had an own toilet/bathroom for ourselves. Bring your own soup and shampoo though. The room itself was cosy enough and pretty clean, though a bit small. One thing we found lacking was there was no hot water kettle for us to boil water. So we just made do with the buying mineral water from the 7-11 nearby.

There is a small cafe in the hostel where you can get some quick bites. Internet access is free throughout the hostel and if you need a PC, they do have a few for rent at 10baht every 15mins. The hostel provides group tours as well so you can check with them at the counter if you're interested in joining.

One thing to take note, the hostel is mainly convenient for those who want quick access to Chinatown, the Railway station or the Chao Praya river. I found myself spending quite a bit of time travelling to the major shopping areas in Bkk and to some, this might come across as a bit time wasting. But if you are planning on exploring chinatown and the attractions around. Then do consider trying out this place

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I would highly recommend @Hua Lamphong Hostel for those who are arriving or leaving Bangkok by train, as it's located right across from Hua Lamphong railway station. We stayed in a double room with private bathroom and it was more like a nice hotel room than what you would expect from a hostel per se. Rooms were very clean and modern with pleasant decor. The user-friendly BTS Sky Train station is also at your doorstep for those wanting to commute to other parts of Bangkok, while Chinatown is only a five minute stroll away. We also left our bags here for about two weeks for 20 baht/day and had no dramas regarding safety. I would stay here again and highly recommend it for those who are arriving/leaving to/from Hua Lamphong station.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed here in March, before the floods. Clean, great staff very helpful with all types of requests (checked booking at a cooking school that I had made online from Australia, advised about catching a local bus to Cambodia, conveniently located departure point at railway station, etc.) Only short-coming; internet access not great. I stayed in a small, somewhat cell-like single room with own facilities. Very clean, perfectly adequate. Think I paid approx $20Aus per night. Great street food across the main road. Perfect access to main railway station, so onward travel by train (or bus) very easy. Easy to get to from airport by cheap Air Express bus. Subway entrance basically outside the door of the hotel (subway excellent way to get around, v cheap / safe / clean / frequent etc). Highly recommended. After booking hotel provides "how to get here" instructions. They are absolutely spot on and accurate. Definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: No elevator so for old bloke with bad knees (like myself) the closer to the ground floor the better...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo