“good location, helpful staff...but.....”

Siam Kempinski Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #25 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
HK
“good location, helpful staff...but.....”
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Stayed 6 nights at the Siam Kempinski. Some observations -

STAFF - Given the bad reviews from various earlier contributors, let me say straight away that I could not fault any of the staff. Without exception, from checking in to checking out, I found the local staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, particularly the stressed out waiters at breakfast who had to deal with what seems like an entire hotel full of coach/package holiday-ers (more on this later). If I had one negative comment to make, it is with regards the 3 or 4 expat managers in suits who seem to swagger around the hotel with total detachment to the guests in the hotel. I do not believe a single one of these expat managers bothered to make eye contact or share a simple "good day" greeting.

LOCATION - if you are into shopping, this is it. Nothing more to say on this.

ROOM - the room was large by modern standards, helped by the illusion of space created by the glassed bathroom wall. Also unusually for modern hotel rooms that are typically all climate controlled with sealed windows, most of the rooms have a balcony. A great feature if you like a bit of fresh air. Do note however that you are in the tropics and there are mosquitoes, so be careful about leaving the balcony doors open at dusk. The hotel does not appear to fumigate its grounds. HOWEVER, do make sure you ask for a room away from any construction that is still on going in the hotel. It is not pleasant to have the sound of drilling thundering down at you from around 9am. It is most unfortunate that the hotel insists of selling rooms that are so affected by internal noise pollution. It just comes across as greediness on the part of the hotel to do so.

FACILITIES - great gym. Steam and jacuzzi were out of order during our stay which was unfortunate. Restaurants are limited but that should not be an issue given the number of restaurants and coffee bars in the adjoining shopping centres. There are some rave reviews by earlier contributors about the modern Thai restaurant Sra Bua. If you like delicate food, then you may well enjoy this. It reminds me of food that perhaps a Pierre Gagniere may cook if he was Thai. Lots of dainty little mossels. However, if you like your Thai food more rustic and homely, then take your stomach somewhere else. The wine pairing that is an optional extra with the dinner was fine, though of the 5 glasses, I only really enjoyed 2 of them.

CLIENTELE - unusually for a hotel of this calibre, almost the entire hotel seemed to have been taken over by coach tours. This has no doubt something to do with the fact that we stayed over the Chinese New Year period, but nevertheless, it was quite surprising to see the extent to which the hotel has sold rooms to package tours. There are no problems with package tourists, just that the tone of the property reflects is clientele.

• Stayed February 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
UK
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Spent 6 nights at the Siam Kempinski. We were upgraded to a duplex cabana suite which was just gorgeous. Sitting room on ground level with bedroom upstairs. The sitting area had french doors to a balcony with steps leading directly into the enormous pool. Standards of service in the hotel are excellent, and I cannot understand the poor reviews. We experienced faultless service throughout our stay - we used the restaurant, cocktail bar, spa and the speciality restaurant Sra Bua.
Decor throughout the hotel is luxurious and elegant with acres of marble flooring and enough flowers in the lobby to fill a florist's shop! Even though the hotel is not fully complete there was no disturbance or obvious building work.
Location was very convenient, across the road from the Siam Paragon mall and the Siam skytrain.
Dinner at Sra Bua was a very expensive experience, and I am not too sure if I liked the tastes and flavours offered. It was certainly dramatic molecular gastronomy with puffs of smoke etc, but all a bit too clever for me!
Overall, our stay was a delight - we were sorry to leave.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I like to splurge every once in awhile. So, upon returning to Bangkok for the fourth time in a year and with only a couple of days in the Thai capital before returning to Europe's unusually cold winter, I checked into Bangkok's newest luxury hotel property, the Siam Kempinski Hotel Bangkok. First off, this is the hands down ultimate place to stay if you like taking advantage of the incredible shopping to be had in this part of town. Right outside the hotel's side entrance you have Siam Paragon, the premiere shopping mall in Asia. Nearby is Siam Discovery, Siam Centre and the always wallet friendly, MBK. So, staying here will definitely help you save valuable shopping time.

The enormous lobby's decorations with gorgeous carpets and sky high ceilings impressed as did the deluxe room I stayed in. It was roomy and had all the amenities and high tech solutions you'd expect from a luxury hotel like this. There was even a balcony overlooking the huge courtyard and enormous pool area below.

Room service offered a delicious club sandwich and upon my request even replaced the fries with coleslaw (not actually on the menu and something I try at all hotels to see how flexible kitchen staff are).

The Kempinski is focused on high end business travelers and they have spared nothing as far as interior design, comfort and customer service are concerned. At the time of my visit, the hotel had only been open a few months.

So, sure, there were a few glitches in need of tweaking. No biggies, though. Next time I'd like to try their spa and Thai restaurant "Sra Bua by Kiin Kiin" which is run by Michelin star chef Henrik Yde-Andersen. But, even if you don't do much while staying at the Siam Kempinski Hotel Bangkok, you're sure to enjoy their comfy rooms, ginormous pool area and a generous breakfast buffet to help you fuel up before hitting those malls!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 January 2011

The disappointing experience of this hotel started with check-in. I booked through a travel agent, pre-paid the whole sum and was given an electronic Hotel Voucher. When we arrvied at the hotel, we showed the front desk the hotel voucher on my Kindle. The staff was really hostile and requested me to turn on the Wi-fi and send the voucher to her email. Obviously, she didn't know that the Kindle was not a computer. Luckily, I had a notebook with me, so I spent 10 minutes at the front desk turning on the notebook, logging in and sending her the voucher. After that, she just walked away without saying anything and only returned after a few minutes and took us to our room. We stayed in a Premier Room which was really small and the amenities were poor. I couldn't believe there was no DVD player, mini-Hifi or iPod docking. There was not even a water boiler. The overall impression is that the staff on the whole were arrogant and not hospitable though they were helpful at times, the facilities and amenities of the rooms were far from desirable. Most five-star or four-star hotels in Bangkok are doing much better. Its location is undoubtedly the best thing it can offer.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KS_Chan
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 20 December 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. The furnishing of the room is top class and the facilities are also good. But some of the things that we experienced during our stay i thought it should never have happened to a well known top class hotel name, Kempenski:

1. when we checked-in, the receptionist took us to our room and there was a man inside the room fixing the door lock, good job she pressed the door bell first. i thought it was a bit embrassing...
2. there was a fruit remains left on the hotel booklet inside the room.
3. one of the electric blind in the bathroom was broken. it didn't work properly so we had to call the reception to get it fixed. in the end, they just disconnected the power of the blind and didn't repair it.
4. the ventilation fan inside the toilet cubicle didn't seem working either. told the reception but not sure if they had fixed it or not. i guess not.
5. the water pressure of the shower is not strong enough.
6. we came back late one night (around 10:30pm to 11pm) and the glass doors facing the Siam Paragon was closed so we had to walk all the way to the front door to get in. they should at least put up some sign indicating the opening / closing time of the doors.
7. there is a sign by the lift in the lobby showing the direction to Siam Paragon on 2/F. so we followed the direction sign and entered a room on 2/F but there was no way to Paragon. in fact, the room was a wreck and it's still under renovation. don't understand why they have that sign there......

here are some good things about this hotel:

1. breakfast was excellent.
2. the staff always put up a smiling face.
3. the location is good, right behind Siam Paragon.
4. free soft drink and beer in the mini bar.
5. free internet & wi-fi

our package came with a complimentary tea set in the T Lounge. we ordered a set of traditional english tea each and the milk that came with the tea was ice cold. it made the tea cold when we poured the milk in the cup. you would expect in such a high class lounge that they would serve the tea with warm milk. it's a bit disappointed.

We travel to Bangkok quite offen and have stayed in more than 10 different hotels. This was my third time spending my birthday in Bangkok. one time i stayed in Four Season and i received a birthday card signed by their staff, it was really warm and touching. the 2nd time when we stayed in Centara@Central World, i received a birthday cake and it was put in our room. it was really nice too even though the cake tasted horrible. but in Kempenski, i received nothing and not even a birthday message on the message machine. not that i wanted the hotel to give me any freebie. it's just i thought it lacks a bit of cozy feeling that you normally get from any hotels in Thailand. Improvement is certainly needed in all different aspect. for the price u pay, i would still prefer Four Season.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gizawong
Amsterdam
Reviewed 12 December 2010

We stayed twice in this hotel during our holiday. The first time the service was okay but needs improvement. Because of the location and the small things that went wrong we decided to return to this hotel. We cancelled another 5-star hotel for our last few days in Bangkok, but this was the biggest mistake we have made. The rest of the review is about the second stay:

Check-in
When we checked in I was talking to the receptionist, I was giving my credit card and my passport. My partner gave his passport and we were asked to sit in the lobby, so the lady could do the check in procedure. We received a welcome drink. The receptionist came back, gave my credit card to my partner and asked my partner to confirm the price. I said that I was doing the check in and that she had to speak to me as I arranged this stay. The lady was still talking to my partner although my partner was giving me the price details and the credit card. When check in was finished the receptionist escorted us to our room. She explained everything about the hotel and we said that we stayed here two weeks ago, so that we do not need an explanation, but she continued like she was a machine. She also said that check out time is 11 AM (note: in the brochure in the room is stated that check out time is noon). We asked for an extended check out. The receptionist said 2 PM is possible but not later. When I said that last time I also could check out later as I was a private concierge member of Kempinski she said that she has to investigate this and she would come back to me. She never did. In 10 minutes several mistakes are made you do not expect in a so-called 5 star hotel.

Room
When we entered the suite we informed the receptionist that we do not need an explanation as we stayed in the Duplex suite also last time. She left. Then we discovered the most horrible (read: dirty) room we ever saw in a 5-star resort. The previous guests had probably a child in the room. The room was not clean. The floor had a lot of glitters on it. There were long black hairs on the chair, there was dust on the floor, they never vacuum cleaned behind the sofa. Dirty spots on the floor etc. I did not like this at all, so I called the front office. I had to call twice to the Front Office as nobody was answering the phone. When they finally picked the phone up the lady of the front office informed me that someone would come to check the room. 15 minutes later a maid arrived and said that she would come and clean the room. This was not acceptable, as I wanted to show the dirty room to a person in charge. So I asked for the manager. The cleaning manager arrived and we walked through the room. I showed her the things I found in 5 minutes, so I said that I do not want to know what was there more. I also showed that the bedcover was not clean. She did not say anything at all and when I asked her opinion she still did not say anything. She called her staff to clean the room. We walked to the front office as this was not acceptable for me. The assistant manager handled the situation from then. She took care of it and offered us some complimentary drinks. If they really give service they give you immediately another room and also a complimentary upgrade for all the inconvenience. We waited for more then 1 hour in the bar (also the bar was dirty, there were crumbs on the floor). After one hour I was informed that the room was clean (took 1 hour to clean a so-called clean room). I was very displeased by this service. The minute we walked into the room we saw that they cleaned it, but the floor still had some spots, we accepted the room. I took a shower. When I turned on the shower I became wet without standing under the shower. The shower was broken and the ceiling became wet and was dripping to the floor. The ceiling was very ugly to see, the broken shower was there for quite a while. The cleaning staff had to see this in my opinion, as it was very obvious that the ceiling was broken. Again I walked to the Front Office and asked for another room. We were getting the same room as last time. When making the reservation we asked for another room as the terrace of room 29 (our previous room) was very small compared to the terraces of the other duplex suites. Over 1.5 hours later we finally had a room. What I do not understand as the hotel was totally not fully booked. They could give us immediately another suite without giving us the problem of waiting.

I sent an email to the Front Office Manager to complain about this and to inform her that her assistant did do a good job as she handled the problem. The next day I was called by the Front Office manager, all she said was “ Sorry”. Although she said last time to me that she personally would take care of a smooth check in and that they would offer the luxury service a guest deserves to receive at a Kempinski resort. I said to her that the service is less then 3 stars and the cleanness of the room is less then 2 stars.

I emailed before with the General Manager of this hotel, because of I survey I filled in. I expected an apology from him for the dirty room and the poorest service ever. No letter, no mail, no personal conversation. Nothing!

Breakfast
When we had breakfast we had to sign for the bill. The first day the waiter presented the bill when we were eating. I was eating my eggs and he came with the bill and asked me if I could sign. He did not want to put the bill on the table, but stood next to me waiting till I signed it. The bill was presented too fast. The last day they gave the bill in even a stranger situation. I was putting bread on my plate at the buffet when the sane waiter came to me and gave me the bill. He asked me if I could sign it. I said that I was busy with getting food and that he has to put the bill on the table. This he did not, he presented it again when we were eating and we had to sign again while he was waiting.
I asked a lady for some eggs, she did not speak English. She only said “ I will call someone”. Nobody approached me so after 5 minutes I walked inside and ordered the eggs at another waiter.
The buffet is very good.

Swimming pool
There are many chairs at the pool. The pool looks beautiful. The waiters are not doing a good job. When you arrive you have to stand next to your chair before they put the towels over the chair, or you can do it yourself like I did. As guest you are provided with water, cold towels and some fresh fruit during the day. This is something I like. When you are leaving they do not take your towels. Also when people are gone and there still is a bottle of water or other garbage on the table, they do not clean this immediately. Every day I found some papers of straws that were still on the floor. The pool was covered with leaves. The first day nobody cleaned the pool during the day until a guest asked to get rid of the leaves. Every morning they clean the pool. The second and third day they finally cleaned the pool also during day time, but in my opinion this was also because some travel agents visited the hotel and they went also to a duplex suite as some people were walking in and out of that room.
If you love the sun, go early to the pool as there is almost no sun after 3 PM because of the high building. The restrooms close to the pool are still closed. You have to walk to the lobby in your bathing suit to go to the toilet.

Brasserie Europa
For a good western meal go to this restaurant. We loved the service and the food. One thing, the extractor does not work very well so you smell the cooked meat. But this was not bothering me.

Sru Bua
This is THE restaurant of the hotel. We loved eating here. They have a fixed 11 course meal and from the minute you walk in the restaurant to the minute you leave the restaurant you will enjoy this very much. Nice ambiance, good vibration, excellent food, the chef how comes to your table. Wow this is heaven!

Good things of the hotel:
- the hotel has an excellent gym. The equipment is new, everything you need is there. The temperature is very good. They provide cold water, towels etc.
- the spa is also excellent. Not expensive and they give very good massages
- we had a late check out. Our room was cleaned during the day of check out, we did not expect this. I liked this very much.
- The location of the hotel
- the total ambiance of the hotel. It is very elegant, very roomy, they had a beautiful Christmas tree, the flowers in the lobby. The decoration of the hotel is perfect.
- The shower in the room is one of the best showers I ever took. I love the shower of Siam Kempinski. The entrance to the shower is not perfect but the shower itself is perfect.
- The assistant front office manager. She took care of us. We asked for a doctor on the second day because one of us was ill. She was very worried and called to the room and left a note that if we need something we always can ask.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dutchguy71
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 9 December 2010

This is a grand hotel. Hugh lobby, stunning. The minute you enter the hotel, you can sense this is a truly 5 star hotel.

I like their room very much. Very trendy and comfortable. The Digital TV provides hugh range of music with good sound system. Classica, Jazz, Lounge music, you feel relax in the room overlook the garden.

The breakfast is great too. Very 5 star hotel style breakfast, beautiful presented and tasted. If they can drop their hotel rate, I will consider to stay their again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo