“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 871 Hotels in Bangkok
Los Angeles
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Thumbs up for the St Regis Bangkok.

Service:
Overall service was excellent. Check-in/out was fast and competent. Not only do the staff look great in their tailored outfits, they have lovely personalities as well. Our butler, Paul, was fantastic. He arranged a lovely amenity for us as we were travelling on our honeymoon and was always helpful. Concierge was very good as well. My only negative comment would be about the breakfast service at Viu. We did not have breakfast included in our room and the staff seemed to have a little difficulty handling our a la carte orders. However, this was a very minor issue that I'm sure the hotel will deal with given that many reviewers have similar comments about breakfast service at Viu.

Location:
Of course this depends where you want to be, but I thought the location was excellent. The skytrain is right off the 2nd floor of the hotel and given the traffic in Bangkok, this is an excellent alternative to taxis and tuk-tuks

Room:
We were upgraded to a one-bedroom (not sure if this was related to my being SPG gold or because we were travelling on our honeymoon). The room was gorgeously appointed and although they did not have any non-smoking suites available, they brought in an air-purifier which dramatically reduced the smell of smoke.

(With regard to transport form the airport, I would highly recommend that you use one of the transportation options provided by the hotel. The AOT option is relatively inexpensive and light years better than hailing a cab at the airport – the cabs tend to be quite dilapidated and you have to deal with drivers who are constantly trying to negotiate with you.)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Holger_Jacobs, Director of Sales & Marketing at The St. Regis Bangkok, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We would like to apologize for the handling of your breakfast orders and will improve in this regards. We agree with your comments about transportation services. Therefore we would like to recommend using our very comfortable Mercedes Benz S-Class limousines or our very luxurious Bentley Continental Flying Spur for your next visit. We look forward to it!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel, since is was only slightly more than the other Starwood products. Everything was outstanding, but the concierge/butler really exceeded themselves! They help to make arrangements so that we could keep our larger luggage at the hotel while were in Siem Reap a few days and taxis from the cruise port pier to the hotel. They recommended a spectacular seafood restaurant for fried curry crab. It was so good we had order extra rice just to finish the curry! They have their own assess way to the Sky Train terminal so it was very convenient. The detail of this St Regis exceeds other St Regis we have stayed at. The interiors were very fresh and modern with lots of attention to detail. This hotel is well worth the few dollars more than the Royal Orchid and the Grand Sheraton.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel during your last stay in Bangkok. We delighted to hear that our Butler and Concierge Team exceeded your expectations and we will pass your comments on to them! We look forward to having you back with us soon to explore more of their recommendations.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Let me start by saying I have stayed in Bangkok for the past 15 years and I was loyal to the JW MArriott. I finally gave up on the JW Marriott as they made too many mistakes. So many that I am actually in their training manual on "What not to say or to do a customer". That being said, with numerous mistakes, I still gave the JW a chance as I am that type of person. Loyal.

Last week, I decided to give the St Regis a try and I chose it for its location. It has a sky train on the 2nd floor which makes it very convenient to get around Bangkok. The location is not far from the main road and an easy walk however, I prefer the sky train for convenience.

I just finished an email survey the hotel sent me. And let me first start by stating that most of the staff were warm and friendly and should not and can not be penalized for the mistakes of a few. So to them, I say, well done.

However, the Viu restaurant lacks in service. I was there for breakfast the first morning. The selection of food is lacking of a 5 star breakfast buffet. The JW wins on this count. Service was slow and at times non existant. I think the entire staff left to have a meeting as they all came in at the same time. Perhaps management would realize that when the restaurant is open is probably not the best time to make the entire staff disappear. Odd.

When the parade of employees came back in, I asked for the check and no one bothered with me except for a manager. Obviously this is why he is a manager, he noticed a customer needing something. Perhaps go back and have another meeting and tell your staff to give customers eye contact.

When I had the bill on the 2nd day the woman whom I asked the check stood over me while I filled out my room info. This is not comfortable and I think she was expecting a tip. For a buffet that lacked service? I think not. When I did not provide one, she gave me a look as if she was disappointed. This is Asia of course and even though I am a westerner, tipping is not common, but always greeted with consideration. I was a bit surprised at her attitude.

As a Starwood Gold member I was under the impression that I was entitled to 4 garments cleaned per stay. However on check out, I noticed my bill showed a charge of 500+ baht 15 USD). I questioned the charge and the woman left. She returned with some internal paperwork that I had never seen before. It certainly wan't anything I signed for or had seen prior. She brought to my attention 2 shirts cleaned. So what? I thought. Isn't this your internal paperwork, what does it have to do with me.

Regardless, I was frustrated and told her, you know what. Go ahed and charge me for the shirts, and by the way, can you please cancel my 4 day reservation for next week. A manager intervened and wanted to take the charge of the bill. I explained my position and it would have been nice if they simply said, Sir, it's our simple mistake, please forgive us. And that would have been the end of the story. But on principle, they don't deserve my business again.

When I returned to the airport. The ride back was with their car service, (no problems here by the way) I was standing at the Cathay PAcific counter to check in for my flight to HK when a man approached me and said he was with St Regis. He said, "Sorry I am late". what for I had no idea. I almost assumed he was there as he heard about my check out experience, but nope. He just wanted to tell me which direction to walk to get through customs. I hope I don't get a bill for this as I never requested the service.

We all have lots of choices and its so easy to get it right. Unfortunately the St Regis did not get it right. I would be hard pressed to return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank Rick B
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your comments and feedback on your recent stay with us. We would like to apologize for the quality of service during your breakfast experience. As we are taking these comments very seriously, we have investigated the root cause and are re-training the concerning individuals.

As part of our St. Regis Butler Service we offer 4 pieces of complimentary pressing. We would like to apologize for not informing you accordingly and mishandling the situation caused thereafter. We agree that a simple, polite apology would have been appropriate.

We do hope though you allow us to impress you on a return visit.
Please contact me personally to arrange your stay with us.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I've read some negative reviews of this hotel and I cannot understand how anyone could speak negatively about St. Regis Bangkok. The hotel is gorgeous, the rooms are spacious and elegant, the views are spectacular, and it is located right near the BTS. If you want to go to the river, then hop right on the BTS and you are there in a minute. The staff were great. The concierge expertly assisted us in changing our flight. While we did not dine in the restaurants, we did order snacks and they were delicious.

I would certainly star here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Holger_Jacobs, Director of Sales & Marketing at The St. Regis Bangkok, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your positive feedack. We appreciate your praise and will share it with the team to encourage them further. We look forward to your return.
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We think a few of the best hotels in Bangkok are InterContinental, Grand Hyatt and Four Seasons for there location and transportation options, nice pool, well designed rooms with great beds and efficient staff. The St. Regis took about the same location and does promise an experience 'beyond expectation'. That is a proposition, but does it deliver? Yes!

I managed to find two taxi drivers not knowing this place yet. Well, next door to the Four Seasons is an easy answer. But it will not take long before everybody knows the St. Regis.
Location is great, with the well known shopping malls within walking distance and with the added value of a walking bridge straight from the second floor of the hotel into the Skytrain station.

You arrive in a quite chique surrounding. Staff will bring you up to reception (14th floor) immediatly. A bit dissappointing was the waiting time for check in. To many guests, only three desks available. But it is the staff that is least relaxed about you having to wait. They will arrange a chair, the will appoint somebody to take care of you and your passports. Maybe some improvement can be achieved.

Before you have checked in, you will have received a mail from your butler. If we would like (very expensive Bentley) transportaion from the airport. But also to ask you for your preferences. I booked a standard deluxe room. I still asked for a 'Erawan' view and two flat soft synthatic pillows. And it was all there. A clean, functioning, spacious and ligh room with great views was on offer. Well designed. Great beds (the best we had till now) with pillows we liked. No facilities to make coffee or tea, but your butler will serve this upon request (complimentory). That's the way.

I missed an ironing board in the room, since I washed my own trousers. We are still some tourists who do not want to afford the high laundry prices in five star places you know! But we suppose the ironing board was also just one butler call away. I did not use it because of the 1 piece of free pressing a day.

Our 17th floor day and evening butlers were great. Eager to please, eager to learn. 'Pipe' now knows what a cup of tea is in Dutch. Sorry Dutch businessmen, it's our fault.

During our first evening, our sink came down (!). We were joking about it, while during our trip we had some more problems with our rooms. The butler and his manager took it extremely serious and a new room was found immediatly. They did insist on packing our luggage, but we wanted to that ourselves. Upon check out (efficient and helpfull), the staff member at reception was informed. They keep good record of all your moves here.

We like our room to be light. But at night, we like it dark. A lot of hotel rooms make you feel like driving a car at night. So we take post-it memo's with us to block all the airco, tv, internet, night and warning lights. We only needed three of those this time. A good score.

The open plan bathroom is spacious and well equiped. Still the toilet is separated with good night lighting. And if you do not like the open plan, just close it all up. You might expect some nice Thai fragances with yout amenities. Not at the St. Regis. And I kind of liked there choise. At least enough to steal the extra set provided.

We like a Bangkok hotel to have a nice outdoor swimming pool. Some sun, some shades if needed. St. Regis will not dissapoint on this point either (like the Hansar does). Cool drinking water is provided.

'Beyond expectation' might be a bit pretensious (competition is fierce), but we really loved the hotel. Even as (a bit underdressed) tourists we felt very welcome and appriciated.

Room Tip: Just ask your butler in advance what you want. Change you might get it.
2 Thank KeesE
Holger_Jacobs, Director of Sales & Marketing at The St. Regis Bangkok, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for the praise of our team and it s services. We will surely pass this on to all of them. And yes, please let us know your personal preferences in advance and we are more than happy to arrange everything for you. For the problem with the poorly mounted sink and the necessary room change thereafter, we would like apologize. We hope to see you back here soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Our family of four thoroughly enjoyed our two pampered luxury-travel-bubble stays here in December and January. Bangkok is wonderful but hot, tiring work with young children and it was an absolute treat to escape to airconditioned perfection at the end of the day. We loved having a butler and loved the pool; really, really loved it. The hotel lobby is like a supersized Prada or Chanel store... just perfect. Best of all are the friendly staff who make you feel welcome even when your kids are dancing and dripping water all over the lift (did I mention we loved the pool?)

Room Tip: City view room
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FamilyonHolidays_11
Dear Reviewer,
Thank for posting your experience here. We are happy you had a great family holiday and our hotel and its team managed to contribute its share. Our pool is certainly a reason to plan in that extra day! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 10 March 2012

6-9 Mar 2012
Deluxe Room 1912

Location: Very good (9/10)

Foot-bridge to BTS station, just one station to Siam and SalaDaeng. Although you may need to switch train if you go to other popular places such as Asok. If you don't mind walking, big malls such as CentralWorld & BigC are within walking distance.

Staff: Excellent (10/10)

No matter what their roles are: at the doors, check in/out, business centre, restaurant, butlers, housekeeping, they shows the highest standard I've ever experienced.

Pool: Good (7/10)

Nice design and elegant. However, a bit small though.

Room: Good (7/10)

Grand and nice decor, nice bed with nice amenities e.g. iPod dock. But room's not as spacious as mentioned on the web, not enough seating area and place to place luggage. The room 1912 has a very long and wide corridor which is a total waste of space and makes us walk a long way to answer the butlers' service. Room's too close to the elevator so at night you may hear the elevator "ding" sound.

Room View: Very poor (0/10)

Disappointed that we were not given a room facing the Royal Sports Club, but didn't expect a room which such a TERRIBLE view. Facing other residential buildings, guess it's <10m, which makes you unwillingly shut the curtain at ALL time. The worst room view I have ever experienced in my life.

Bathroom: Very good (9/10)

Spacious with nice amenities, double sinks. Excellent bathtub and rainforest shower. But again, terrible view and therefore curtains are shut at ALL time.

Breakfast: Very good (9/10)

Although choices' not extensive, food's of superb standard and tastes. Nice view of the Royal Sports Club which we can't enjoy from our room. Staffs are professional and friendly.

In conclusion, if the room view is not THAT TERRIBLE, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who travel to Bangkok.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pak Wai Daniel K
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
In regards to your comments to the view of Room 1912 (a Deluxe Room), we would like to let you know that our Executive Deluxe and Grand Deluxe Rooms offer views of the golf course of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and the city skyline. Some of our Deluxe Rooms have city views of the neighborhood. We look forward to a return stay of yours to experience a room with a different view!