“Great St. Regis”

Ranked #13 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Taipei, Taiwan
“Great St. Regis”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The location is really good. Like the setting of the hotel very much! very classy.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Holger_Jacobs, Director of Sales & Marketing at The St. Regis Bangkok, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear Reviewer,
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed twice, Thursday to Monday and Friday to Monday. Conveniently located. The rooms were good, but 1601 had a lose floor tile, which should not happen in a hotel this new. The way I see it being maintained, I am not hopeful that it would be in good condition a year from now. The food is decent but expensive. For that price point I am expecting better. Staff was polite everything was fine, no complaints. I used the car service once, it was satisfactory, but I usually get my other services i.e car, security etc from Oriental (where I usually stay), in my opinion the drivers are more professional. If you can get a good rate by all means. I would actually prefer to stay here than say at the other Starwood hotels they have in Bangkok. For those who use public transport, they are connected directly to the BTS on level 2. Hotel check in/lobby bar is at level 12.

1 Thank jdanielca
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your comments on your recent stay.
We would like to apologize for the food offering which was not up to your standards. Please feel free to let me know further details in order to look into the matter. We would also like to apologize for the loose floor tile in your room which we will rectify immediately and check for in all rooms. We look forward to your next stay to show our improvements.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We are very frequent visitors of Bangkok, and as such, have had the opportunity to sample quite a few hotels in this town, were the offer is nearly endless.

LOCATION

We have already stayed in nearly all areas of Bangkok, and must say that in our opinion, the location of the St Regis is second to none. It is well in the centre of Bangkok, with easy access to most part of the city. The skytrain station is right across the hotel, and you can access it directly through a short skywalk. Within walking distance, you can go to Central World and Gaysorn Plaza, go for a fabulous meal at the Erawan Tea Room or go for a stroll in Lumpini Park. It is also very easy to catch a taxi to Sukhumvit, etc. Obviously, you don't have the river view like you would get at the Shangri La, but on the other hand, the hotel is right across the BKK Country club, so you have a wonderful view of a nice green park, with a golf course and horse track.

AMBIENCE

The hotel is very recent, and is decorated in hues of dark brown, marble and beige. The design is modern, with a traditional touch, and some thai elements. However, you could be in any city in the world. Although very plush and beautiful, we found it considerably less impressive than the common grounds of the Sukhothai. All in all the ambiance is one of luxury and quiet. There are several restaurants, situated on different floors in the hotel. We only tried the Viu, were the buffet breakfast is served. The more interesting feature of the place is by far the view on the country club, which is quite stunning with the buildings in the backdrop. The pool area is very beautiful, with an infinity pool and sun loungers overlooking directly the terrace. However, for a hotel this side, we found it quite small, and the water was pretty cold.

ROOM

We were accommodated in a standard room on the 21st floor, with a partial view of the country club. We were quite happy about it, since some rooms overlook the other way, which is not nearly as nice. The room was large, with a comfortable bed, a cream lounger and a glass wall to enjoy the view. The bathroom was equipped with a very nice bath tube, and a separate rain shower. It is a room were you feel pampered and cosy, and were we enjoyed spending time to simply relax. In the room, you have the usual amenities, some very nice products for skin and hair, as well as a fully stocked mini-bar. One drawback is, there are no coffee/tea making facilities in the room, and you don't always feel like calling the butler for everything.

SERVICE

Service at the St Regis is flawless. From the moment you enter the ground floor lobby, till the moment you leave the hotel for the last time, you feel looked after and pampered. The staff is courteous, smiling and always trying to be helpful to guests. During our stay, we encountered some more junior staff (concierge desk), but their niceness and politeness more than made up for the few hiccups. Service at the pool was also attentive and agreeable.

VALUE

We stayed 3 nights with our Starwood Preferred Guests points, so we cannot comment on room value. We will only comment that reservation was easy and efficient. However, one point I would like to underline is the lack of free Wifi in the room. For an hotel of this category, I still cannot understand why this is not included in the room.. This is after all the 21st century. Breakfast was not included in our package. We went to the buffet one morning, but, although it was nice, was not compelling enough to get us back for the next two mornings. Comparing with the Sukhothai, where we have stayed a couple of times in the past, the breakfast spread was just standard, and quite overpriced.

IN SUM

This hotel is a great choice for Bangkok. It offers a very nice setting, great service, and an unbeatable location! Again, for us its main drawback is the fact that it is very international looking, while we favor a thai touch in Bangkok hotels. We might return, depending on their future offers and as we loved its location. In terms of the hotel itself, we still prefer the Sukhothai, but the St Regis is a close second.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the BKK country club.
2 Thank Jewels_Gva
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for posting your detailed review and giving us valuable feedback.
Whilst we cannot change the design of the hotel we are glad you enjoyed the views of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and its golf course greens from our brand new rooms as well as the rest of the hotel together with its connection to the Bangkok skytrain system via our skybridge on the second floor. We hope to see you back in our neighborhood soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Let me caveat my review by saying we only stayed here during an overnight layover from BKK, so we arrived after sunset and left early in the morning.

We are seasoned travelers very accustomed to getting cabs from the airport, but I would advise future travelers to at least make sure and arrive with an address for the hotel in hand (We booked last minute from elsewhere in Thailand due to a flight cancellation, so we were woefully unprepared.). Our cab driver, and all the personnel at the cab stand at BKK, did not know how to get to the St. Regis, and we didn't know what to tell them other than that it was near the Intercontinental. There was a massive language barrier issue there, and the ride was harrying enough that we very much wished we'd booked an airport transfer by St. Regis.

Upon arrival, with relief I saw that the hotel is immaculate and gorgeous. I'd been in India and Thailand for all of the Christmas holiday season, and the lobby sported the first Christmas tree I saw on my entire trip that wasn't somehow... off. A welcome sight.

Based on Starwood status we were upgraded to a Metropolitan Suite, which was so beautiful, especially the bedroom, that initially I wondered how I would sleep in the bed.

My husband and I were both pleased with our in-room meals and service, and the turndown service treat was a culinary marvel that I find it difficult to describe.

The room was so quiet, that between this and the hour of our arrival and departure, it felt like we were the only guests at the hotel. To avoid another cab experience, we booked a transfer service back to the airport in the morning. They were impeccably on time, with generous packed breakfasts for both of us (even though we'd both said the night before that breakfast wouldn't be necessary, it was appreciated). I was still eating St. Regis pastries the next day in New Delhi. ;) The car was luxurious and very fast, which I enjoyed.

Overall, if you're like me and you love the St. Regis brand so much that you want to marry it, you'd do well to visit the St. Regis Bangkok, as it is a shining example of the brand.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
We are excited to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel. Whilst we agree with you on the fact that our airport limousine service is the better option than taking a taxi, we are also working with several taxi companies to increase the knowledge of their drivers in regards to the location of our hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Hotel is very nice and well located but for an hotel claiming service and service what a dissapointment.
the bultler never came to introduce himself to get a coffee delivered 1 hour,

Service at receptoin very low especially for somebody having being platinum member

1 Thank Nikki D
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback here.
We would like to apologize for your experience which did not meet your expectations and the shortfalls of the service delivery of our butler and front office team. Since then we have re-trained the concerning individuals to elevate their performance for you to evaluate the improvements on your next visit.
Germany
Reviewed 27 March 2012

One of the best hotels in Bangkok, actually I would be so blunt to say it is one of the better boutique hotels in the world. Service was 110%, rooms are big and as comfortable as it gets. Nice pool area. Room service standard was great. Friendly and tentative staff (but not TOO much as they sometimes are in Thailand). Would recommend this to anyone, and return on my next Bangkok visit.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your praise and recommendation of our hotel!
We look forward to welcome you back soon and will share your positive experience with the team.
Bangkok
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I just checked out from the hotel today, check in-24 March, Check out-25 March, room#2011.

Service- The service is superb as those staffs were very active to give the best service especially my butler.
Location- It is very excellent location where you can easily get in and get out with the train or even with your car.
Room- I was upgraded to the Met. suite room, the room was very awesome and spacious.

The serious issue which almost spoiled my holiday was I heard the fire alarm signal around 12pm( it was only one time, not continous one), as a result, I thought it was the regular fire alarm testing, however, I heard the second firm alarm( only short one like the first one), then, I still thought that the testing was carrying on.

I got out of my room five minute later in order to have lunch outside the hotel, I found that the elevator didn't work, I quickly returned to my room calling the operator to find out what happend, I was told by her that there was some problem, the elevator will resume its work by 15 min.

Thus, I decided to take the fire exit going down the lobby on 12th fl. I met with the Japaense guy( I come across to know later that he was the head of front desk at that time) who has been asked by myself what happened, he just simply told me that nothing wrong, it was just fault alarm, it make me feel OK. However, I was shocked when I reached the ground floor since it was very smoky, I asked one of the staffs there what happend, she just said that there was a fire incident on 35th fl, it was controllable. I got three different informations within 10 minutes!!!!! I quickly drove out of the hotel, I saw the hotel staffs(around 10- 15 staffs) standing by out of the hotel, it mad me really doubt on the real situation.
I was very concerned since I stayed with my wife and my boy(9 months old), After checking out, I asked the receptionist that will I get any online customer feedback form later, I was told that there is no online customer feedback, then, I asked whether there was any hard copy form, he said no such thing???
Then, I told him I would like to give my feedabck to his manager, I am lucky enough to talk to Mr. Giles Selves-Hotel Manager, I shared him what I faced as above, seem to me, he was surprised with two major incident( 1. What the head of the front desk told me 2. His staffs evacuated to stand by out of the hotel, he mentioned that there was no evacuation order from the hotel). What he explained me was the fire was controllable, that's why no continuous alarm signal in order to aovid the panic situation, I have no doubt on it, however, my major concerns are 1. The safety procedure in regard to the fire incident, It make me doubt on the procedure, what if the situation is worst than their expectation?? 2. The accuracy of the crucial information for such incident?? I told him that I got to log on the official complain to SPG in order to get the feedback, he admitted it and will give me the e-mail address of customer service.
In fact, I am very loyal customer to SPG as a platinum member, I and my wife really like this hotel, it was the best hotel we ever stayed, however, it make me very worry to stay here again since I usually will bring my boy(nine months old) to stay with me like this time, I will share the updated info once I get the feedback from the SPG team. Thanks.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Chairat T
Holger_Jacobs, Director of Sales & Marketing at The St. Regis Bangkok, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your feedback and we are glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay.
We would like to apologize for the conflicting messages that you were given by the team in the hotel with regards to the fire alarm that went off and any concern or alarm that this caused. The safety and security of our guests is of utmost importance to us and it is vital that in times where they may be an emergency in the building that we provide our guests with clear and concise information to our guests. It is clear that on this occasion our communication did not effectively convey this message. As mentioned to you in person already, there was a minor incident in the hotel, but at no time was there any danger to you or your family or any other guest in the hotel and this message should have been clearly relayed by our team when you questioned. The contact details for you to write to Starwood with regards to this incident are: customercare@starwoodhotels.com
We look forward to a return stay of yours soon.