“Bring a sleeping bag and it's okay”
Review of Charoendee

Charoendee
Ranked #804 of 1,347 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at Charoendee the first day we arrived in Thailand after an 11hr flight so we were pretty exhausted when we finally managed to make it to Khao San Road without riding any taxi.
We had not booked anything in advance for our trip so our first goal was to find a cheap guest house on Khao San Road as soon as possible and arrived at Khao San around 7:30 in the morning so the road was quite empty and we served as welcome "victims" for the masses of touts around there - easy to spot with our too-warm-for-bangkok-clothing and backpacks. These guys had been so annoying that we just escaped into the next best guest house we saw which was Charoendee or at least their sign.
First impression was that staff were very friendly and helpful and the site was quite clean. We asked for a room and they told us they had only one left and and also offered to let us take a look at the room first which we did and afterwards decided to stay. A staff member insisted on spraying air freshener and/or insect spray under the beds before we could step inside.
The room was on the ground floor, had a/c, an ensuite bathroom with warm shower and cost around 500 Baht. It was right next to the always open entrance to the guest house and had two windows with wooden blinds and battered, dusty curtains. Overall the room was in a poor condition but I expected something far worse for the price so that was fine. At least it was relatively clean. We chose not to inspect the beds closely but put the pillows away and spread our own silk sleeping bags and travel pillows on the linen that had only few (2-3) small and light stains on the upside. Mattress comfort was ok. Our toilet was broken and didn't flush at all. We reported to the woman at the reception desk and she told us she's sorry but there won't be anybody around to fix it until late at night and offered to use their snack shop toilet next to the reception that was close by our room. In the end my friend fixed the sealing gasket in the toilet tank herself. She had to do this again after every flushing. Noise level in the evening/at night was acceptable for staying directly by Khao San. At some point in the night they close a metal gate in the aisle that connects the guest house to the road. I did not feel unsafe. Unlike some other people here we did not get any lock for our room but had brought our own anyway. I didn't even know they had locks to hand out to guests and thought this might be normal.
After all Charoendee was totally fine for the first night regarding the low price in a popular spot but only if you have low expectations and can deal with a few stains and rusty bathroom facilities. The patio by the entrance was a quiet and nice place to relax and have a cold drink whenever we came back from Khao San chaos. They have a 24hr reception. I would consider staying there again if there is no better option on Khao San at their price level.

Room Tip: Bring a sleeping bag and a lock!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NeonX

Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

In the middle of Khao San Road. I came back from Koh Tao.Cheap hostel Clean enough.Wifi in the room free and have coffee and toast in the morning I stayed one night and went home.help me save my money.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This place was a little tricky to find, just keep an eye out for a small dull yellow sign, you have to cut through a market stall to get there.

The rooms were literally decorated in UPVC slats from a shed and were about the same size as one. On the upside with the fan on the room was nice and cool and the place was clean.

It is a good cheap option for a private on Khao San Rd.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Charoendee was our first hostel in Thailand and it was absolutely fabulous. The double room we booked was simple and clean, breakfast, although only toast & coffee was the tastiest toast and coffee I have had in my life and the location was very close to Khaosan road, but enough set back for someone who didn't want to join the party. We were there during Songkran and had a blast! We popped onto Khaosan, enjoyed ourselves with the staff of the bar that's right next to the hostel for a few hours and went back. We would kindly like to thank the staff for making our stay so special.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2013

When we arrived in Bangkok we wasn't sure where we wanted to stay so done some reading in the rough guides book. We come across this place and it was based in Khao San Road which was described as the budget travellers area. We got a cab from Phaya Thai station and got ripped off. Always make sure you negotiate a cost for the entire group as they do you over by giving you a quote then when you get in or get to your destination they say the quote was for one person!

The guesthouse was located about half way down Khao San road and it was situation down a little alley so away from the noisy street. The staff were really friendly and it was a reasonable 400baht a night.

The room itself was literally that... a room... with a bed.. and a ceiling fan. They were clean and comfortable though and thats all we are really looking for. The shared bathroom was not the best and probably could have done with another one. It was really small and the sink was not plumbed in so there was always a mess in there. However it had hot water and a flushing toilet so ignoring the rest it was fine for a few days.

Breakfast was included and consisted of some toast and a tea or coffee from 7-11am. The staff would bring it all over to you which was a nice touch.

Khao San Road itself is a brilliant place to stay for backpackers as it is buzzing all night and day. Packed with bars, eateries and lots of market stalls it makes for a great stay in Bangkok. This guesthouse is ideally situated right in the centre of the action and is a friendly, family run place. If you don't mind living with just the basics then this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I paid budget and that's what I got. My only real gripe was the pillow, my word, it was black with mould and made me want to chunder. I had a single room up one flight of stairs from reception. As I was staying four nights, I was delighted that reception's wifi reached my room. At £5 a night one can't grumble. The room itself was a single, and it had a powerful fan. The partition wall that you could see over if you stood on the bed was a nightmare; great for privacy, awful for noise, of which there was many a selfish turd willing to sing and shout throughout the night.

That said it was cheap as chips and would return. 7/11 next door. Takes a while to find alleyway to hotel, it's about midway up on the left (with the police station end behind you).

Only one toilet in the block and often busy, and of course this tiny room is sopping wet through if anyone has a shower, but it's not a problem.

Room Tip: I think my room was number 105, but it was the only single room on the first floor, in the block jus...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Thai32
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

This hostel is cheap and quiet depending on the time you decide to visit. I would recommend you get an ac room, for around 600 baht for a 2 person room. Great if your on a budget but don't get the fan room as we found that the fan we had didn't spin very fast, causing me to sweat like a pig.

• Stayed: April 2013