“Desperately needs renovation”

Golden House
Ranked #476 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
“Desperately needs renovation”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We stayed here for a week after reading
the reviews. Booked directly with the hotel they have a no refund policy. The rooms are small and very old. walls are dirty this is like a 2 star hotel overpriced. better value elsewhere nearby. Location is good and staff friendly. Never again though.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2012

stayed 1 week the location is good near Chit Lom BTS but the price is very expensive for this very old and run down hotel, room was tiny, shower kept blocking, sliding wardrobe doors kept falling off, wifi was terrible could not connect or stay connected most of the time, staff were very friendly and responsive, however for the price can stay somewhere far nicer, never again

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Stayed 3 nights here. As expected, the biggest plus point is the location. It is just next to Chitlom BTS.

Pros:
- location, short walk to BIG C supermarket, Central World shopping centre and the whole of Pratunam market where all the bargains are! Shop till you drop! :D
- 5mins walk to famous 4-face buddha, Erawan shrine
- Room is generally clean
- located in a quiet alley, ensures you have an undisturbed sleep at night.
- air-con and water heater are all individually controlled.

Cons:
- the price is a bit high compared to other beautifully renovated boutique hotels in the area. However, if you consider it is just steps away from holiday Inn, meaning you share the same convenience of the location, but pay slightly more than one-third the price ...
- breakfast, I agree, only eggs cooked in different styles, 2 slice of toast, I do not know if you can ask for more ... anyway it is enough for me.
- TV is old crt type, but that is not the problem, it says cable tv, but very limited channel, then again who goes to bkk to watch tv? lol
- do buy your drinks/beers/snacks probably at BIG C first before going back to hotel, this is one rare location whereby there is no 7-eleven nearby, I did find one, about 10-15mins walk away further down.

In conclusion, I will still consider this hotel when I go BKK again. It is the cheapest hotel you can get at this right next to BTS location. Rooms is generally clean but there is a smokey smell.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PoseidonLee
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I had book a 3 nights stay with them on a Double Room Suite which is located inside Renaissance hotel (Condo Building). Could not comment on the room yet as my trip there is on Nov. But the pre arrival services they provided me was way above the "Budget" hotel standard as all emails that i send was replied in less than 5 mins.

On the booking of the room itself, I had given the wrong credit card information which causes the transection failed. They had made it a point that they emailed me that there is an error and will be calling me soon. And soon enough i received their call and clear all the mistake.

As the Suite room was not located in the main building (It is located opposite the main building, roughly 10mins walk), they had promised that they will be waiting for me at the main lobby of the suite room to handle my check in. They had also provide me a location map just in case I'm using any taxi service. Well done to the front desk team.

I shall comment the room after my stay with them!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Deltor71
USA
Reviewed 5 July 2012

It is a great location for the proximity to the malls for those into shopping. Being by the Sky Train really helps to navigate the city as well. If you are into more nighrtlife there are other hotels with bars nearby, besides access to the Chit Lom BTS. Rooms are real basic, but who stays in the room in Bangkok? If you wants a lot of conveniences, pool, kid friendly activities this will not be the place.
I found the staff to be Bangkok friendly. They are reserved until you start warming up to them and they were very helpful in all of my requests.
As noted it is off the main street so please have the address ready with you at the airport and see if the hotel will fax a map location.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Hermann48
Perth
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed here for a few nights and booked it because my friends were staying there. It's good location, directly across the road from Chitlom BTS, lots of shops in walking distance. It was a bit hard to find at first because it doesnt sit right on Ploenchit Rd, it sits down an alleyway so watch out for that.

The rooms themselves were average price. I've stayed in much nicer rooms for the same price around the Silom area. We had a twin room, had all the basics, TV, decent en-suite ect. I found the staff to be quite rude which I find to be a real put off...

The breakfast was also quite poor... eggs was the only thing on the menu - fried, scrambled, or omelette but always just eggs... There was some juice and coffee also available.

After a few days I ended up moving to their Silom property which was more like a condo than a hotel. We mpved because the Silom property offered 2 bedroom apartments (with a total of 5 beds) at 1000TBH per night, much cheaper than the Chitlom hotel. As i said the Silom one was a condo and not really a hotel, there was no reception or room services. Basically we rented the condo and were given the keys to get in and out of the building.

Probably wouldn't stay at the Chitlom on again, only because I've stayed in much nicer places for the same price. Would definitely stay in the Silom one though, especially if sharing with friends as it was really cheap and quite a large condo.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Channy M
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 26 May 2012

On the weekend before my conference/workshop in Millennium Hilton Bangkok, my sister and I decided to book ourselves in Golden House in the central part of the city. This is absolutely my favorite hotel in Bangkok, and I stay here all the time whenever I'm vacationing in Bangkok.

It's affordable (THB1,500/room/night for single/twin occupancy, or USD50), has kind and accommodating staff, and the best part is that it's near everything! Once you leave the hotel, you're literally 10 steps away from the Chit Lom BTS station, which lets you easily zip to Siam or National Stadium stations to shop in MBK or Siam Paragon.

Golden House is also 5-10 minutes' walking distance to big shopping malls like Central World, Central Chidlom, Gaysorn, Big C--and Platinum Mall. This hotel is really a hidden gem, and my friends and sister love its location as well.

There's a money changer right across the hotel entrance and this money changer offers the best rates I've seen so far--better than the ones in the shopping malls, and loads better than the rate found in Suvarnabhumi airport.

Breakfast, which costs an extra THB100, is not exactly great; I wouldn't recommend having breakfast there if you're a picky breakfast kind of person. It just consists of juice, coffee, toast, jam, eggs (cooked the way you want them), and some small sausages. The service is slow (only 1 person cooking everything)--so I usually skip breakfast in the hotel and have it elsewhere. Besides, I'm not a big breakfast person, so Golden House's breakfast meal isn't really an issue for me.

Room is clean, simple and odor-free, with fresh towels and free wifi. But please don't expect anything fancy--it's a budget hotel after all. But whenever I'm here, I feel really at home. Staff are incredibly nice. There was an instance where I had to check out late (2pm), and normally, the hotel charges late check-out fee of THB100 per extra hour after 12nn. But the staff people were nice and waived the fee for me. All in all, fantastic service. I can't wait to stay here again the next time I'm in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk if they could put you in a room fronting that nice little park beside the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family