“Perfection!”

Focal Local Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 752 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed my first night in thailand here and loved it so much that i immediately booked back in for my last night too! The location is amazing, a real low key area of bangkok perfect for seeing the non tourist aspect of the city. Every other traveller i talked to had recieved loads of hassle in bangkok but staying here you are just part of everyday life. The rooms are all quirkly& individually decorated& made me smile every time i walked into them. I stayed seabreeze& living nature both lovely. Best of all though are the staff. They just couldn't be nicer, more informative or more helpful. Coming back here at the end of my trip really did feel like coming home! Can't recommend them highly enough!

• Stayed: July 2013
Focal-Local, Manager at Focal Local Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us at the beginning and the end of your trip. We're glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and loved this non-touristy area. Hope we'll have a chance to accommodate you again in the future. Take a good care :)

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I agree 100% with all the glowing reviews here. Heart-warming welcome, original and very nice rooms, excellent advice on things to do and nearby restaurants, best breakfast ever. I would absolutely recommend it and return there. Some of the rooms suffer from street noise, but what else can you expect in a city like Bangkok...

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for staying with us. It's our pleasure welcoming you and your lovely family here. In addition, thank you for your kind understanding regarding the street noise. We've replaced the thicker glass windows now. They help a bit. We'll look forward to seeing you all again. Kob Kun Krub :)

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We chose to stay at Focal Local based on the reviews we read on trip advisor and we were so happy that we did.

The surrounding is in a local neighbourhood! which means your away from the hustle and bustle of the city - which is great if that's what your looking for! Travelling into the city can take up to 30 mins by Taxi, (depending on the time of day) but 10 minutes by Skytrain. Focal local provide a tuktuk to the skytrain station once a day. Walking time is about 7- 10 minutes.

In the area you'll find local things and in particular you will pay the local prices for things such as food, services and market items.

Upon arrival we were greeted with a refreshing glass of iced lemon grass juice (something which you don't receive when checking into a 5 star place!). We stayed in the CHIC room (room is on the ground floor) which we loved. The room was big enough for two, having a fridge and being provided with endless amount was drinking water was great. The shower was like I was back home in London!

Focal local is kept extremely clean. And the best thing about it is the outstanding service and friendliness of the family running it.

Karan and his father are very helpful, they went out of their way to help us plan our trip to Kanchanaburi.

Karan and theres another lovely lady on reception they are both full of knowledge and will help you with anything you want to know.
They would always write notes for taxi drivers and bus drivers. And warned us of any scams that we may be exposed to i.e being overcharged for a tuktuk.

Our breakfast needs were always accommodated for. We found it too early to eat a typical Thai breakfast which consisted of rice and possibly a curry, that we opted for a simple scrabble egg breakfast!

Wifi connection is available throughout the place and there is a computer in the reception area that residents are free to use.

Upon returning back to London, a few days later we received a postcard via email from Focal local! This was really unexpected and was the finishing touch to the outstanding and exceptional service to received - thank you Focal Local for having us

If we return to Thailand we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you very much for your review and for remembering all little details that we served you. We really appreciate it. Please note that this little home will always welcome you for your next Bangkok visit. Kob Kun Krub :)

Reviewed 19 July 2013

The manager Karen is a really nice guy, who helped us plan the trip and provide a lot of useful suggestions. Although a little accident happened (we missed the flight to chiang Mai) ,Karen helped us check the availability of train ticket and book a taxi to the station which only costs 125 +45 toll fee for 15.5km. One of the little drawback is location, especially at the time when u first arrived, around 1.3 km from the BTS station, make sure u got the address printed in Thai so that the driver could find the hotel easily. Good news is u'll have one free tuk tuk to the riverside or bts station.Anyway A++ rating,we really appreciated. Many thanks!

Sent from Chaing Mai :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank shawnyu7
Focal-Local, Manager at Focal Local Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you very much. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had a pleasant trip to Chiangmai. Hope we'll have a chance to accommodate you again. All the best :)

Reviewed 15 July 2013

The staff here, especially the young man who staffed the front desk and made breakfast, were fantastic. His English is absolutely fluent, and he gave us great advice about how to get around town (and avoid potential scams). We have been to Bangkok several times before and stayed in much fancier and more expensive places; this was the end of a long trip in SE Asia and we wanted to save money. The rates were great, the rooms fine (we were in the Chic room, which is right behind the check-in desk on the ground floor, but was surprisingly quiet -- probably more so than the rooms upstairs that face the street.) The upstairs has a pretty little sitting area/indoor garden in the foyer. They provided one free tuk-tuk ride/day to get you to the pier where it was easy to take the river boats around town. The location isn't stunning, but the hotel was well designed and decorated, perfectly clean, the breakfast was great (and varied each day, always something savory and home-cooked followed by fruit) and the service was amazing.

Room Tip: Chic is further from street traffic (including caged birds), but on the first floor (however, we did...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank michbie
Focal-Local, Manager at Focal Local Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

Thank you very much. We're glad we made your stay in Bangkok enjoyable. Hope we'll have a chance to serve you again next time. :)

Reviewed 6 July 2013

I don't know where to begin and have a feeling this will be a long review. But here is a quick snapshot for those in a hurry
1) The rooms are fabulous
2) The whole B&B has so much character
3) You'll be able to find like minded travellers
4) This is family run and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful
5) They take care of special food needs (I am vegetarian and don't eat eggs as well)
6) Breakfast is made fresh for every guest
7) They help you with maps and suggest a lot of stuff you can do (I wanted to do non touristy stuuff and Karan helped me figure many places)
8) Location wise, this is on the other side of the river, so if you want to stay away from the traffic, noise, tourists and madness...its a great place. But if you want to be in the party/shopping district, you'll be better off staying elsewhere...the travel to city center is about 30 mins
9) The B&B organises a free tuk-tuk ride for you once a day to take you to the pier/BTS station

This is a quaint little place. And i mean little in many ways...its in an almost hidden little lane, has only 7/8 rooms, has a little dining and reading area and the rooms are not huge. But everything has so much character...the facade, the reception (if i can call it that), the dining area, the reading area on the 1st floor, the rooms...everything is beautiful.
The staff is very friendly, casual and helpful to a fault. Once you get there, they'll give you a map of the area, address of the place written in Thai (so that you can find your way back by asking Thai people if the need arises), a map of Bangkok, wifi access and a list of emergency numbers.
Karan (who i think owns the place with his parents) will help you plan your day, share tips and basically go out of his way to make your stay comfortable.
The B&B locks its main door at 7 pm but every guest has a key to open the place. There is also a little bell you can ring and the owners will come down (they live next door) to open the door for you.
I had planned on staying there for 3 nights in the living nature room but on the 2nd night at about 10 pm, the AC in the room stopped working. I called Karan on the emergency number (you cannot imagine how hot it can get in Bangkok) but didn't get a response. I was getting all upset and wondering what in the world can a guest do if they don't answer calls! maybe and hour later, I sent him a text and very promptly he responded by saying someone will be over to help me. Within a minute, his father came to the room, offered to move me to another room to sleep. I didn't have to move my luggage...they let me keep both the rooms for the night. The next day, they offered me the other room(yesteryears), moved my bags and profusely apologized.
On the first day, i mentioned to Song (not sure if I got the spelling right) that I am vegetarian and every single day, I got great vegetarian breakfast. A glass of water, juice, stir fried veges/tofu, rice and fruit.
The place is far from all the shopping areas and site seeing places...but I didn't mind it at all (and I am pretty sure no one will) as I wanted a quite place.
I cannot find a fault with this place and will definitely stay there the next time I am in Bangkok.

Room Tip: I had a chance to stay in 2 rooms; Living nature and Yesteryears. While living nature is more vibran...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Focal-Local, Manager at Focal Local Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you very much for choosing Focal Local and for your time writing a detailed review for us. We really appreciate it. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here and enjoyed being on this side of Bangkok. We will look forward to seeing you again :)

Reviewed 23 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at Focal Local for two nights in late May. While we were impressed by the comfort and cleanliness of our room and by the amazing breakfasts, we were blown away by how kind and helpful Karan and his staff were. If you choose to stay at Focal Local, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica B
Focal-Local, Manager at Focal Local Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We're glad you had a good time at Focal Local. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip in Thailand as well. We'll look forward to seeing you again. Kob Kun Krub :)