“Falls short” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #221 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
United Kingdom
“Falls short”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in a Suite in August 2012.
The Palazzo is a lovely building that has been wonderfully restored. Unfortunately, the experience short of our expectations, especially consider the prices of the suite rooms: The "gallery" is few panels that share a short history of the house. The same space is the breakfast room and, during our stay, was also the dinner dining room. The beautiful main dining room was used for a private event one night (we were given a much reduced menu that night), and was the second night the dining room was simply unused. This was disappointing, as I had called to confirm the restaurant would be running normally during our stay--we were told it was. The library is a sofa in a hallway next to the noisy kitchen. Significantly, the quaint decor and flowers featured on the website were in stark contrast to our lovely, but quite spartan, modern room. We were told by reception that the advertised complimentary afternoon tea does not exist. There was also only 1 complimentary newspaper available for the whole hotel. The website highlights that they offer black-out curtains for the rooms, but they leave on hall lights on that shine right into the rooms (we turned them off but they kept getting turned back on).

Service was very friendly and helpful, but need more training and supervision. Meal orders were confused a dozen times at ours and other tables. We asked for a top-sheet for the bed but were told it was not possible. Food was OK, if a expensive, although the tiramisu (3 bites for 280Baht) was abismal.

Overall, the hotel has huge potential, but falls short of the website and overlooks most of the touches required of boutique and 4/5 star--especially considering the price of the suite rooms. Encouragingly, all of these could be fixed with strong management and through more representative advertising on the website.

Room Tip: We took a suite room because of previous postings frustrated by the otherwise small rooms, but I...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travel_lots_01
Prayapalazzo, General Manager at Praya Palazzo, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Dear travel_lots_01,

Thank you very much for making such a thorough review. I am glad that you liked the property and our friendly staff but regret that your overall stay fell below your expectations.
I am sorry that you felt our photos were misleading; it is very surprising to us because we usually get the reverse compliment from our guests: that the pictures do not convey the mansion’s real grandeur. Being an old private home, the public areas are limited and we make it clear that the Gallery, Library and Restaurant are connected. We describe the Gallery as a ‘series of narratives’ which it is and our pictures show that a few tables allow you to have a meal in it if you wish to do so.
As for the Suite itself, I am sure you are aware that pictures are used for illustration purposes, to portray a certain mood; in our case, early 20th century lifestyle. It seems you studied reviews and tips on this website, so you may also have seen the private pictures posted by Ashley H in April that show the Suite in question, with our standard set up.
The Restaurant was indeed used for a function on the first night of your stay but was available on the 2nd night and it is a pity that you did not ask our team if you had a doubt about it. Other in house guests enjoyed a lovely evening at Praya Dining that night.
We only provide a complimentary afternoon tea to thank guests for booking directly with us. It is available for the other guests of course, but at a charge. The third party website which you used to book wrote in his Dining section ‘Afternoon tea is offered’ and I agree that it is confusing, although we never mention it as included in the price or on our voucher. I have contacted them since and the text should be revised shortly.
Last, I am happy to report that we’ve reviewed our Tiramisu serving and guests can now enjoy it for a few more bites! Thank you for highlighting this to me.

Again, I am sorry that these disappointments lessened your experience but I hope you will remember the attentive service provided by our staff.

I remain at your disposal for any further discussion.

Sophie Couturier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this nice property with dates back from 1926 ; the restoration has been done in a very lovely way ; all details have been chosen with knowledge . Room are maybe a little small for this category but you have all needed amenities .The service is quite good allthough maybe in the restaurant a little more thai friendliness could do. The check in was very warm and coming in by boat make it quite special . The boat was allways available when we needed it. From the pier you can catch the Cha Phraya express which brings to all interesting sites in BKK. In the evening you can relax at their small pool and look over the Chao Praya River and enjoy this little piece of art out of time. We would certainly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank asialover_12
Prayapalazzo, General Manager at Praya Palazzo, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear asialover_12,

Thank you very much for choosing Praya Palazzo for your stay while in Bangkok. I am very glad to hear that had a good time with us and that you had a great experience. Thank you also for recommending us to future travellers to Bangkok.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again; in the meantime, please let me know if I may be of assistance to you for your next visit.

Canberra
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

This was our final stay on our recent holiday to Thailand. We had stayed at beautiful places in both Phuket and Chiang Mai and I booked this accommodation so that we would have somewhere special to stay that would be a bit different and provide a traditional feel.

Let me start by saying that the hotel itself is quite beautiful and has been refurbished very well - I did like the recycling of old shower screen doors for the pool fencing! Although I have to agree with Mandy_Reen - for a place that is trying to claim 4-5 stars the service falls well short of what is needed and I think this is generally caused by the language barrier. Unlike the other resorts we stayed at, the level of english of the staf at Praya was quite poor and I found this particularly frustrating.

Our problems started with our arrival. The taxi driver wasn't sure where on Prah Athit to drop us so I rang the hotel and handed him the phone. As it turned out, he was exactly where we needed to be dropped. He spoke with someone there then handed the phone back to me and also I spoke briefly with the woman and told her that we were on the street and looked forward to seeing them shortly. We got out, walked to the pier and waited there for 30 minutes. I rang again and the woman said she'd told the taxi driver to call again when he dropped us off - which is what we had been doing when we spoke to her the first time. Even though I'd spoken to her straight after the taxi driver she never mentioned calling back to me or I would have reiterated that we were basically at the pier. Even the waiter in the Navalai River Resort restaurant (where you wait for the barge) checked to see if we were okay, commented on how long we had waited and then used his own phone to call the Praya - again! - on our behalf. So that didn't bode well for our stay.

It was quite late when we arrived and we were bone tired so dropped straight into bed. The next morning I noticed dried blood stains on the sheets - not ours - and tried to communicate this to the same woman that we'd spoken to the night before. She didn't understand. We did manage to agree that they would come and change the sheets. In general I found the rooms nice but a bit small and poky. I thought the suites would be roomier but I think size must have been sacrificed during the renovations to include ensuites in each room. Also, the shower head in the ensuite drove us mad. Half the holes were blocked so we were only getting about half the flow - with the rain head this meant we could almost walk between the jets of water!!

I knew when I booked this place that the only way to and from was the boat. I thought this would be quaint. In reality it really annoyed me because we had no freedom to come and go. One evening we were walking down the steps and could see guests getting ready to get on the ferry. We thought our timing was great but as we walked through the front gate the boat started to motor away and we had to wait 20 minutes for it to come back. We sat by the pool but unfortunately there was no one available to even get us a drink while we waited. On our last night we went out for a special dinner at Breeze at the Lebua. We were still enjoying the view and the degustation at 10.30 and knew there was no way we would make it back in time for ferry cutoff at 11pm. Not having realised we would be out so late, we didn't make any arrangements for a late pickup and I assumed that phoning at 10.40 was probably a bit rude. Also, we didn't know when we would be finished and ready to go back so we ended up taking a room at the Lebua and not staying back at Praya. The lack of flexibility was probably the most frustrating aspect for me and, regardless of our other problems, the main reason that I wouldn't stay again.

On a positive note, the food was quite okay. We had breakfast included in our room rate and they were quite good. It is a fixed menu that you an choose from. The fruit and pastries were quite nice, as were the eggs and bacon. I found the pancakes very dry. And when I asked if I could have a side of bacon with the pancakes they thought I was a bit odd and told me that "bacon goes with eggs not pancakes..." I gave up!! We also had dinner there one night. The food was quite nice but a bit pricey. While it was clear that one of the waiters was in training, they did try hard with the service.

This is the longest review I've written on here because I didn't want to do Praya Palazzo an injustice. It is a beautiful hotel but it is different and has it's own quirks. I didn't want to tar it too much with my own issues ie. I knew it was difficult to access yet that really annoyed me! However, when a friend asked what it was like I said "beautiful hotel but a bit like a thai version of Fawlty Towers with their service". If you're patient, don't want flexibility to come and go in the evenings and are happy to muddle through then this might be a really lovely break away for you. Although if you want to explore Bangkok, be free to come and go at night as you please and want top notch service that is easy to deal with then this isn't the accommodation for you.

Room Tip: Wish I could have been more positive. Rooms are not overly large but I would book a suite as I thin...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank audie3012
Prayapalazzo, General Manager at Praya Palazzo, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear audie3012,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review.
Although I am delighted to read that you liked the property and food, I am very sorry to note the various shortcomings you experienced.
Clearly miscommunication is at the root of most of the issues you highlight in your review and I regret that the staff was not equipped to deal with them. I can assure you that we emphasize daily on the importance of service standards and I hope that these drawbacks will be behind us soon.

As for the boat schedule, it normally operates from 6am to midnight but we have no problem extending these hours when necessary. The access being only by boat, we know exactly who is in house or not and therefore wait for every guest to come back to the property. I wish you had called us (Front Office is open 24h) and we would have arranged accordingly.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for these inconveniences and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you again so you can see improvements for yourself.
Until then, feel free to contact me at anytime.

Warm regards

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed at Praya Palazzo the first two nights of our honeymoon and were really impressed at the beauty and serenity of the place. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful - they even bringing us late night sandwiches free of charge when we missed dinner. The ferry added an extra special dynamic to the whole experience, although I wouldn't recommend it if you want a night out on the town as it quits running at about 10.00pm. Overall highly recommended if you want a bit of quaint luxury in Bangkok.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kaitlin H
Dear Kaitlin H,

We are very glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay while with us. Our staff are proud when they get such a lovely review from our guests and I am grateful.
We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Bangkok. In the meantime, I stay at your disposal for further assistance.

London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

The Praya Palazzo is a beautiful hotel with a style of it's own, we stayed for 2 nights as our friends were holding their wedding service there. It was a perfect setting and a fabulous day. However I was a little frustrated with the hotel itself. The day we arrived we did recieve a lovely welcome but were unable to order any food or even a snack as we were told all that was available was high tea (not really what we fancied after travelling for 22 hours). The pool area is lovely but, again, service was not too good, we had to go find a member of staff anytime we needed a drink, and they do not serve anything after 9pm at night. We would have loved to sit watching the boats on the river with a drink or two but, after having to beg the guy in reception to open the fridge to get us a bottle of beer, the enjoyment had been taken away. If the service had been better I would not have hesitated to recommend this hotel as it is so unique and the location is so different, the boat is great fun, and the rooms are lovely but, when on holiday, I don't want to have to work too hard for anything.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Prayapalazzo, General Manager at Praya Palazzo, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear Mandy_Reen,

Thank you very much for your review.
I am glad that you liked the property and its setting but I am sorry that you were disappointed in our service.
As you say, holidays should be effortless and you should not have had to look for staff when you need anything. We normally get great feedback about our service and how staff are attentive to our guests, so I regret that we did not deliver that with you.
Training and monitoring are at the core of our work to ensure guest satisfaction but we still have room for improvement.
I sincerely apologize again for the inconvenience you experienced and hope you will give us another try when you are back in Bangkok.

In the meantime, I remain at your disposal for any further assistance.

Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed in Praya Palazzo for three nights. As the hotel is on the western side of the river it may initially appear isolated from most of what you would want to do in Bangkok. However, they provide a ferry, which is at your beckoned call to take you to and from the hotel. There are only 17 rooms so you are looked after like you are the only guests at the hotel. The staff were so friendly and accommodating to any of our needs even ferrying us to a pier slightly further away than the nearest pier. The breakfasts were superb and featured pretty much any thing you would want for breakfast including the best croissants I've ever had so it is well worthwhile including the breakfast option in your accommodation. We also dined in the restaurant one night for dinner. The menu consists of both Thai and European cuisine and the creme caramel was the best i've ever had. The wine list is extensive and while the cost for dinner would be considered expensive by Thai standards everything about the meal (food, wine and service) was first rate and worth the price. The only negative about Praya Palazzo was that the room staff did not give us new soap, shampoo and conditioner after the first day. However, when we requested new supplies they immediately attended to it. The pool is lovely and the garden is beautifully and constantly maintained by dedicated staff. The rooms are not huge, and we stayed in the second largest room (a suite) but as the ceilings are high they don't feel pokey at all. If you are looking for somewhere romantic, or seemingly isolated while actually being very close to the main tourist sights of the old city in Bangkok I would thoroughly recommend Praya Palazzo.

Room Tip: pay more for a suite room. They are much more spacious than the standard rooms, and worth the extra...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James M
, General Manager at Praya Palazzo, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear James M,

Thank you very much for choosing Praya Palazzo for your stay while in Bangkok. I am very glad to hear that your time with us was excellent and that you had a great experience, whether while at the restaurant or in your interactions with the team.
I thank you sincerely for recommending us to future travellers and I look forward to welcoming you again; don't hesitate to contact me for further assistance.

Warm regards

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

I stay one night last week at Praya Palazzo, such a great experience: Everything is perfect... the boat that pick you up, the hotel, the room, the swiming pool, lobby, restaurant, such a great romantic experience in Bangkok. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eric M
, General Manager at Praya Palazzo, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Eric M,

Thank you very much for staying at Praya Palazzo. I am very glad to hear that your short time with us was excellent and that you had a great experience. Thank you for recommending us to future travellers to Bangkok.
I looking forward to welcoming you again for your next escape from the city!

Warm Regards