“Dodgy start. Superb finish.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Praya Palazzo

Praya Palazzo
Ranked #234 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Dodgy start. Superb finish.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Having arrived at pier N13 I was a little worried even before getting out of the taxi, I called the hotel on my own mobile and asked the driver to speak to the hotel to explain where we, or they, were, after which I spoke to the receptionist and they said he had dropped us off at the wrong place and to wait where we were for the hotel staff to come and find us ;o(
Anyway our taxi driver unloaded us and kept pointing up the road, I assumed this was where we were supposed to be, so rather than stand around with luggage and my wife and I looking like lost tourists in the middle of Bangkok, we headed to where we thought we should be, not fun, hot sweaty tired stressed, not a happy bunny at all!
Anyway, somehow, a couple of hotel staff managed to find us getting lost amongst the chaos of Bangkok at dusk, took our cases and led us to sanctuary. As a first impression I hated this place!
By the time we had gotten onto the boat and across to the hotel the smile on my wife's face had calmed me down. Couple this with the first upgrade to a bigger suite we've ever had in a hotel and it would be fair to say I had been won over ;))
However, I do think the current arrangement is not good enough, the potential to upset customers before they even get to the hotel is a risky strategy in my view and some clearer instructions either on the main road or some other way of getting you safely to the pier needs to be sought.
Having said that, once you know what your doing, having your own private water taxi is a real blast, and we absolutely loved it. Picture the scene; You arrive on a packed pier make a call on your mobile phone, 30 seconds later a beautiful wooden boat arrives to collect you. You make your way through the throng go aboard and then the American voice behind says come on guys all aboard. The guy on board helping my wife to her seat turns around, puts his hand up, and says, sorry Sir this is a private boat. Priceless!!!!!
The Hotel, the rooms, the staff, are just superb, only stayed two nights, had it been two months then that would have been perfectly fine by me. A beautiful oasis in the middle of bedlam.
The only small point that I think the hotel would benefit from would be to consider the dining arrangements. As we had spent a couple of weeks here there and everywhere around Thailand, these last two days and nights were intended to be a time of total relaxation celebrating our anniversary in luxury, before our flight home. We had picked this hotel with the intention of not leaving the grounds at all, but the price of the food and drinks were just too silly, don't get me wrong the food was fine but we'd had as good, actually scratch that, we'd had better sat on cheap plastic garden chairs on the side of the road, including drinks, for about 5 quid (250 baht). The hotel was charging 60 quid (3000bt) for the same/similar meal, and so we ended up back and forth across the river. I don't mind paying extra for hotel extras, but c'mon guys, really?
So, apart from the issue with food, what started a little worryingly turned into a great stay and I'm sure, now that we know where to catch the river taxi, we'll be back again soon.

Room Tip: I imagine every room is fantastic here.
5 Thank mark g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Staying at The Praya Palazzo is to experience old Siam with modern facilities.
It was built in 1923 on the banks of the Chao Phraya river. This 17 roomed palace fell into
neglect and was lovingly restored and opened as a boutique hotel in 2012.
It is only accessible by boat from Pier 13. On arrival you are picked up by hotel boat at the pier
and transported to the hotel. At the reception you are given a mobile phone which you can use
to call the hotel when you wish to return after an outing. This service is very efficient and waiting time is minimal. The hotel is close to most tourist attractions.
The rooms have a nineteen twenties feel but with TV, WI-FI ,aircon etc. There is a beautiful swimming pool in the garden, a library, a gallery where photos of the hotel's history are displayed. The breakfast is served in the beautifully kept garden next to the pool with the barges and river traffic in the background .
The staff are very friendly and look after you well.
The meals and drinks are of high quality but expensive. If you are on a budget you can have
some of them in the restaurants around Pier 13 for fraction of the cost.
All in all we had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank THOMAS G
Pushkar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Only reachable by boat and hence very exclusive, but wonderfully accessible - upon arrival you are handed a mobile phone to call the boat to cross the river whenever you should need it. The hotel is an oasis of peace in a busy city. Built in 1923, it retains the charm of an old mansion but has all modern comforts. The rooms are spacious and luxurious: A/C, satellite TV, espresso coffee machine, bath tub, high quality tolietry products - very, very comfortable. the complimentary breakfast is also a treat. Right by the pool with river view and a host of attentive waiters. Excellent service throughout. This hotel really makes you feel special!

Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

The biggest disappointment for me was that I didn't have longer here.

I arrived with a friend at about 20:00 hours and we had a car booked from the airport. The driver got us on the right road but had no idea where the pier was, fortunately I had printed the card given on the hotels website and it had the instructions and a telephone number in Thai, so he was able to call the hotel, get directions and asked them to send the boat over. After a long flight it was a slightly uncomfortable start as the pier is down a dark alley and you do wonder where you are going, however, as soon as the boat came into sight I relaxed.

The staff couldn't have been more friendly, we were greeted with a cold towel and local drink. We were later than expected due to a delayed flight and the kitchen was almost closed so we were taken straight to the dining room and enjoyed a glass of fizz and a lovely starter (we didn't feel like a big meal) then the staff showed us to our rooms.

The rooms were spacious, well equipped and very peaceful. There were robes and slippers, fabulous toiletries and maps and tour information.

We were given a mobile phone so we could ring for a boat whenever we needed it, as many times as we liked.

Breakfast was delicious, we took it by the pool on the first day, watching the world go by on the river, the second day it rained so we ate in the dining room. I found the whole experience very calming and peaceful, in a city that has such hustle and bustle this was the tranquility I longed for.

The staff couldn't do enough for us, gave advice and maps of where to go and what to see, offered to check us into our next flight, they told us they are a four star hotel offering a five star service and they exceeded my expectations.

The free wifi in the rooms was an added bonus.

I'm not sure I will return to Bangkok but if I ever do this will be the only place I stay in. If you are visiting Bangkok - Wat Poh temple is a must, and enjoy a massage there too!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Domsolly
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

With it being our first time in Thailand and Bangkok, I am so happy I booked to stay here. We have booked the airport taxi pick up, which after 3 flight journeys was a god send! We just didnt have the energy anymore and not having to worry about getting across the other side of the city was the perfect start our trip. When arrive to the pier which is just down an alleyway I was slightly anxious about what was going to come next! The fact that the hotel is 5 minute boat journey across the river is perfect, they also give you a mobile phone so that you can call the hotel across the river to be picked back up again.. you really do feel like you've just stepped into a completely different side of Bangkok all together with when staying here!! Our deluxe room was spacious, and the bed was so comfortable I can't fault it one bit. With the hotel only having so many rooms, it really does have a private feel to it. The pool is good size, I just wish there were more decking chairs, but there is no room for it. The staff were lovely, always willing to help and offer any advice when traveling around the city. Free wifi as well which we fully took advantage of. The restaurant was lovely. I'm not really the adventurous especially when it comes to food so I was happy to find a reasonable western' food menu, although it would have been nice for more of a selection. When arriving on the other side of the river, you really are a 5 minute walk away from the infamous Koh San Road and there are plenty of Tuk Tuk and taxis to take you around town. On the day of our departure, we were allowed to check out later which was perfect for us and the staff couldnt have been any more accommodating. If I'm ever back in Bangkok I definitely will be coming back here.

1 Thank lymrtn
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We just came back from a relaxing holiday, spending 5D/4N at this Italian mansion. When we first arrive at Pier 13, we had difficulty getting a hp to call the hotel staff to send a private boat to the hotel which is on the other side of Chao Phraya river. Our taxi driver claimed that he did not have a hp. There was a restaurant near the pier and I begged the manager to loan me his hp. Initially he rejected but after being really desperate (not knowing there is a public phone before entering the alley to the pier) I persuaded him again and this time he was kind enough to call the hotel for us. That was the only unpleasant experience. After that it was smooth sailing. The boat arrive, it was a nice 5 minutes ride to the hotel...... when u arrive at the mansion, the first expression was it looks grand but it feels weird that it is surrounded by small villages.

Checking in was real quick..... and we were greeted by warm towel and cool refreshing drink, though extremely sweet. The staff will escort you to your room.... we took the deluxe room, nice cozy colonial room, size is decent with high ceilings and elegant furnish. However the furniture could be given a little simple fixing, such as window knob in toilet and wardrobe is loose, easily fixed with using some adhesive.

Water pressure for rain shower is a bit low. Improvement can be done. Free wifi on second floor not reliable, poor connection.

However this is not a big chain 5 star hotel, so we cant expect everything to be perfect.

The best thing is the hotel is very peaceful, you feel like a royalty having friendly staff serving you and having to travel via ferry to various destination is very relaxing.

One thing I was not so happy was my when I booked directly from the website, the details regarding the room package includes daily high tea. However when I arrived, they said that it is no longer applicable. I would suggest that the website be updated or if not, the tea service should still be offered to us as stated in the website. The other thing was our room package includes free wine during daily breakfast which they have forgotten till I reminded them but snce it was not to our liking we did not remind them for the next few breakfast.

Breakfast selection was ala carte, you get a selection of choices (1 each) of fruit juice, yogurt, cereals, pastry, and egg (any style of cooking) served with sausage and potatoes, and a local dish.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay here and would have given 5 star if not for the few constructive criticisms that I have mentioned above.

1 Thank payselt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

I really love the staff who treat us very well.
I think this is the best place that i had gone in Bangkok.
The place is unique, memorable, and the staffs are welcoming. Really recommend this hotel esp all people who like interest place.
To go to this hotel u need go by boat. Just call the staff, the staff will pick up us at the dock.
The bad of this hotel, is very noisy in the room, you can hear neighbor activity.

• Stayed August 2013