“Doesn't make the grade”

Ranked #262 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
barbados
“Doesn't make the grade”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The staff are wonderful and caring but they alone cannot carry this converted, aging property. We arrived late in the day off a 10 hr. flight and were 'upgraded' to, I believe it was room 134. In the dark we didn't investigate just ate at the hotel and went to bed. We were the only ones eating, the food wasn't particularly good. With the morning came the realization we were in a dark room with hard to open windows, lots of mozzies when we managed to and no view whatsoever, all for the pleasure of paying U$150/nt. We complained and my wife fell for their most expensive 'suite' the living room of which was under furnished with one chair and a divan and a somewhat ratty carpet. Two bathrooms, a tub, a great view, all for the pleasure of doubling our cost. The mozzies moved with us and the tv improved but not much. When we wanted a bath the hot water ran out every few minutes as we tried to fill the tub forever. Shower pressure is wanting. The drains are slow and we had a clog or two. The beds have oversize wooden platforms that bark your feet and shins and the floors are polished to a dangerous level of slipperiness. Lighting either to shave by in the bathroom or to read by in bed was inadequate. Breakfast was usually good but don't have the poached eggs which are done in vinegar which soaks the bread. Yes there's something about taking a private boat across the river away from the maddening crowd but not when you're tired and just want to refresh yourself and head back out and certainly not when you're told there will be a 15 min. wait. Again the staff are pleasant and caring but it would be nice to see some further investment in their training and perhaps better english spoken. We have returned to BKK and staying on the busy side of the river at the Riva Surya and the difference is outstanding. Stay tuned for what I'm sure will be a very different review.

Room Tip: not 134 and preferably headed by a 2
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BarbadosBart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Praya Palazzo is a hard one to review. For very similar money there are some nice “high end” hotels in the river area. Food and drinks and laundry service are great quality but also near-American pricing while other high quality establishments offered more for less. The first room we had was deluxe but was ground floor and smelled musty and was very loud with squeaky floors above. We were upgraded to a 2nd floor junior suite which was quieter but you could still hear neighbors and squeaky floors and doors. It’s an old mansion and claims 4.5 stars but it would benefit from some upgrades in this respect. The rest of the experience was awesome. Great staff who service you, food & beverage manager Sakon remembered our names the next morning and always came out to say hello and chat a bit. The only access is via the hotels private ferry which they operate 24 hours a day. They give you a cel phone to call and be picked up at a pier just 5 minutes away where you can access Khosan Road area or hop the river ferries to access much of the city. Again, service was exceptional and I’d recommend the hotel but if you are a light sleeper, you will definitely 2nd floor.

Room Tip: 2nd floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Commonly, I and my sister live in Bangkok. One day, we fed up with being in the city and spending weekend aimlessly as usual then we came up with the idea to find a serene place to stay and sleep-out on the forthcoming weekend. After we'd been searching for and considering a plenty of hotels via the information we got from the various websites, 'Praya Palazzo, luxury Bangkok riverside boutique hotel, was the hotel that we selected to relax and indulge ourselves at this place in order to escape the hecticness in the city.
After we'd decided to spend one night at here, we called to make a reservation for one-night superior room with a breakfast and extra dinner on the day we arrived. As the hotel located in riverside which's only accessible by ferryboat, that's not a problem because the hotel provided us a ferryboat service. In case of having a car, we can park at the temple which locates nearby the harbour. We arrived at the harbour around 8.00 pm, the boat was waiting for us. The moment we getting on the boat was incredibly amazing, we saw a lot of beautiful scenery all along the Chao Praya river i.e. temples, building and lights. We arrived at the hotel, the hotel's exterior was stunning. At night the building was decorated with lights which really impressed us. It's such a romantic place. Before we got into the room, we had dined at Thai's cuisine which has a reputation in traditional Thai food. As we're Thai food-lovers, we can definitely ensure that Thai food here is completely delicious. The room that we got, is broad, clean and calm. A little bit big for two persons even it's just a superior room but I like it. The room's interior's unique like Thai luxury modern style. I felt like living in the royal palace somehow.
The breakfast provided in American style, was good. We had breakfast nearby the pool. While I was having breakfast, I can also view the pool, the garden and the river. It's great serenity. Every staff had a good manner and satified us with good service mind.
The only unsatified thing was that I'd to wait for so long to check-out and the boat to pick us up to return back to the harbour.
To recharge myself, I had a wonderful rest at here. This place completely fulfilled my weekend. I love this place, especially Thai cuisine and I also have an intention to go there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Maprangsunday
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Bangkok is not one of my favorite cities, but staying just across the river out of the hustle and bustle makes it bearable. I discovered Praya Palazzo almost two years ago and just enjoyed my second stay.

You feel nothing short of luxurious being picked up in the private hotel boat and shuttled to this historic mansion, which is manicured to perfection. The staff, while struggling a bit with English, is very friendly and very accommodating. The pool is magnificent and while very pricey in comparison to other Bangkok restaurants, the food is simply 5-star. Breakfast cannot be beat!

My tips for future travelers:
- Bring ear plugs if you're a light sleeper. This is an old house so the walls can be a bit thin and noise from the riverboats can sometimes echo off the mansions exterior.
- The mattresses are very firm. I've found this to be the case in most Thailand hotels, but if you think you won't be able to sleep, ask the hotel ahead of time to soften the mattress if possible.
- If it's in your budget, upgrade to the suite rooms as they are more spacious, which is nice if you've been running around the city all day and just want to relax a bit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This delightful and historic hotel is, as has been regularly noted, an wonderful oasis of calm nestled in the chaos and noise of Bangkok.

We arrived late and in the dark, and were a little bemused by the procedure to call for the boat to come and pick us up but when we awoke the following morning all became clear. The hotel, once a private home and then a school, is truly charming; the rooms are comfortable and well appointed, the gardens well tended and the swimming pool a stunning bonus in the middle of the city.

Travelling to and fro from Pier 13 on the hotel's lovely wooden boat was easy, with a call to the hotel to request pick-up using the mobile provided specifically for the purpose, guaranteeing nothing more than a 5-minute wait. It feels very special to have your own boat collect you from this busy pier!

The real gem of this hotel is the staff. They are, without exception, incredibly helpful; nothing was too much trouble. They booked activities for us, helped with train times, organised transport; all done with a heart-warming smile.

Our initial stay of 3-nights was so wonderful that we changed our plans to be able to return to spend our last night in Thailand back in its comforting environs. The greeting from the staff and GM on our return made us feel so special; it was like returning home.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I arrived in Bangkok late at night, the driver they had promised was at the airport to meet me. He took me to the dock, where the wooden boat met us and we crossed the river. The hotel is simply gorgeous, the grounds are simple and very beautiful as well. They put me in a room at the back, and I wasn't very comfortable in it but when I told them about my discomfort, they moved to a room in the front which was better suited to me. The breakfasts are delicious, the coffee fantastic. I was a little bit concerned about causing an inconvenience crossing back and forthe to and from the hotel but they gave me a cell phone and all I had to do was call them for a pick up and let them know when I wanted to cross to the other side. The staff is so friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend staying here if you want a peaceful Bangkok experience. You can walk around the hustle and bustle and come back to a quiet, peaceful and gorgeous setting. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I highly recommend staying on the 2nd level
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Overall an excellent experience staying here. The staff are friendly and attentive, nothing is too much to ask. Rooms, while not massive are adequately sized and beautifully decorated.

I can highly recommend a stay here...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple