“Average - / poor +”

iCheck inn Residences Sukhumvit 20
Ranked #533 of 880 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Trip advisors point system does not always allow to describe the fine details which can make a place become "poor" or "average". In this case, my rating is as in the header. At first, I thought to hammer them for their sloppiness in not providing really clean rooms (including bathrooms). Or for the lousy breakfast, the horrible aircond, the misleading word "suites", the lazy tuk tuk driver... But when I booked I had a choice and so I also blame myself for falling into the trap laid out in the form of trompe l'oeil photos on their web-site and the usual overselling vocabulary. I will not stay at this establishment again MAINLY because of it's location. If this would be a hidden gem, I would not mind the grueling walks from the BTS station after a day of shopping. But then, the mix of quality, price and location make me look for other options which suit me better.
PS: I don't understand how some fellow travellers write "great service" (what service?) and I would be curious to know what it takes to achieve this state of mind.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Fuzzyguy
There are newer reviews for iCheck inn Residences Sukhumvit 20

Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stay this hotel on February 21 for 2 rooms. The rooms are clean and convenient. But shower curtain has a fungus.

P.S. please do not request for morning call because you will not receive that service. Our flight time is 7:00 a.m. so we must check out at 4:00 am. and request for morning call at 3:30. Good luck we wake up at 3:15. We didn't received any call both 2 rooms.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2013

After having my wallet stolen in Cambodia I was relying on using my mates account and getting cash transferred to it, When he went back home and I still didn't have a flight home after 10 weeks of backpacking I had to find somewhere that could be pre-paid while I frantically searched for a firm that I could fly back to the UK with without presenting my card at check-in.

Thankfully the Privacy Suites allowed me to pre pay and this was the reason I chose it. I got upgraded to a suite free of charge on check-in and the woman at the desk was great with me. I can imagine a 6ft 2 lad with 10 weeks worth of hair growth (due to not trusting a thai barber....never trust one believe me I have seen the results) a raggy beard and a dusty old backpack is the most welcome in a property like this but I wasn't judged and treated great. After a few days in some dingy guest house in Koh San road I felt like the King.

Roof top pool was quality, room was clean, spacious and had everything I needed. Was the first week of the Premier League and the room had the TV channel so I was in my element. Absolutely skint, couldn't get any money out so cabinned up in this place with pre paid takeaways and English football. What more coul I want? Bathroom was spacious, clean and very modern.

Only downside was location. if you can't get the golf buggy or your walking back it is an absolute trek down that Soi.

Room Tip: Ground floor suite where I was upgraded has an outdoor bath with plastic over roof. When the rain co...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Me and 2 friends visiting Bangkok early january this year and decide to try this
hotel when see this central adress.
Room was very nice also including a small (which we not use) kitchen, its was quiet there
but only 3 min with hotels tuk tuk to sukhumvit road for free. Tuk tuk also drive you free to
nearest shoppingcenter.
Free internet service also nice

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights. It was a great exp. big and clean rooms. Good staff. Would def come back again.. Great location.. Very well connected to all the tourist spots.. Would recpmmend all my friends and family to stay at this hotel..

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank idWicked
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Hotel Name: Privacy Suites
Location: Bangkok Thailand -- Sukummvit Area -- Soi 20
Date of Stay: December 2012 (7 Nights) January 2012 (7 Nights)

If you like the review please rate it as "helpful".

Overall Rating 4 out of 5

Location: 3.5
Room Quality: 3.5
Ambiance Rating: 4
Facilities/Amenities: 2.5
Approach to Service: 4
Usability: 3.5
Value for Money: 3.5

Summary: Small hotel that is above average in charm. Appropriate for Single travelers or couples. A good value choice those who value personality and ambiance and want a bit of quiet while not being too far removed from all the action of Sukummvit, Asoke and Soi 22.

Detailed Commentary:

Positioning: This hotel seemed to target a wide range of mid-class tourists -- mostly younger from my observation. The rooms are too small to accommodate families (except for their one master suite) and most guests appeared to be single males or couples. The hotel is (I think) Indian owned but the guests I saw were either European, Japanese or Thai.

Location 3.5/5:
The venue is situated on a very small Soi just off of Soi 20 down from Sukummvit Road about half way between the Phrom Phrong and Asoke BTS stations. It is about a 20 minute walk to either station and a 12 to 15 minute walk to Sukummvit Road.. The venue itself is small and a bit hard to find if you do not know where it is; but is actually well situated. I would suggest having the address and directions in Thai for taxi drivers though. The location is a mixed bag. It is quite far down soi 20 but also situated in a very quiet place. Soi 20 is a busy and non-descript Soi housing some major Tourist class hotels like the Best Western, Windsor Suites, Rembrandt and the awful Royal Parkview. The Soi also includes many restaurants including one of the better known German restaurants in Bangkok (Bei Otto) and Sports Corner (a restaurant/pub that shows a lot of American sports rather than the European variety that dominate most sports bars). Should one prefer not to traverse Soi 20 there is very nearby a link to Soi 22 (3 minute walk). Soi 22 is quite a touristy area with numerous other hotels that cater primarily to budget tourists and tour groups. Thus, you get the benefits as well as the trappings of such an area. The street is littered with massage parlors and tourist amenities like currency exchange and convenience stores. A cluster of 20 to 30 pool/hostess bars sits a a few minute walk up Soi 22. Despite the overtly touristy aspects of Soi 22, I personally like the Phrom Phrong area because of the presence of Benjasiri Park which is a bit of an Oasis in the middle of the bustle and grime of Sukummvit road. It is about a 17-18 minute walk from the Hotel and is a great place for chilling out, seeing real Thai people (not just bar girls and those working in the tourist sector), and jogging. There are also basketball and futsol courts there, a skateboard park, numerous exercise stations and a small lake with fountain. There is also the upmarket Emporium mall adjacent to the BTS.

Room Quality 3.5/5:
The hotel is only six stories high with only 5 or 6 rooms each on floors 2-5. The top floor contains their top suite and pool. The bottom houses reception and a small eating area. The standard rooms are rather small and front facing over the Soi, so I went with an executive corner room. Which gave me a rear and side facing into some trees. All rooms have small balconies which is a nice touch. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the bathroom had a a tub/shower combo. Unfortunately the water pressure was somewhat problematic and probably the biggest weakness of the hotel -- not a huge problem but enough to make showering less enjoyable than it should be. The room I stayed in was a deluxe corner room and included a water heater, safety box, LCD TV, stove, small refrigerator/minibar, microwave, hair dryer and small sink. A small kitchen counter with two chairs was also present. The rooms were clean but did show some wear in terms of paint peeling on the walls.

Ambiance 4/5:
Noise was largely not an issue as there is hardly any traffic on the Soi; The rooms were also quiet in that you could not hear your neighbors at night. Unfortunately the door entrances are quite close together and on one night I had one idiot neighbor who seemed to slam the door every 20 minutes. The bed was comfortable. The overall feel of the room was : Personable, Comfortable, Clean, Airy, Cheerful and I did not have any negative feelings. In fact, I would say that ambiance is the biggest advantage of the hotel. The rooms were painted in Thai Purple and had some personality compared to so many hotels in this class that are generic and lifeless. I liked the small balcony and door opening to it, as well as the windows overlooking greenery that gave a feeling of openness even though the room was not all that large. The greenery and birds chirping was a welcome respite from gritty urban Sukummvit and the major Sois in the area.

Facilities and Amenities 2.5/5:
There is a very small outdoor pool on the top floor with only two seats next to it. Unfortunately the pool was under renovation during my stay. There is no fitness center nor any other type of facility. There is no cafe or room service but many dining options are only a 5 minute walk away. Free Wifi is available and worked well. There is a tiny breakfast area downstairs and they offer complimentary coffee and tea. I did not have breakfast in my package but from observing some guests downstairs who did, I think I would give it a miss. The TV programming was mid-range for English language speakers -- No HBO etc but a variety of football (soccer to Americans) oriented sports channels, bbc, and some channels like Fox etc. The programming seemed to have an above average skew of Indian programs, perhaps reflecting the hotel's ownership, although I did not observe any Indian guests at the Hotel.

Approach to Service 4/5:
The place feels like a small family run business. Very friendly, remembered me from my previous visit, took care of small problems like resetting routers very quickly.

Usability 3.5/5:
Usability concerns details that may not matter to many people, particularly those that are only staying for a night or two. However, since design and usability are of interest to me, I like to include it anyway. Some hotels maximize space with very intelligent room design while others pay no attention to usability and guest convenience.Privacy suites was slightly above average in this regard. I liked the ample power points and room layout, and lighting was also appropriate for reading in bed. The rooms are not that large, but the space is used quite efficiently.

Value for Money 3.5/5:
This is always subjective depending on what is important to most people. I booked directly with the hotel and paid a weekly rate which is discounted from the nightly rate. Overall I thought the hotel was a decent value although you can get larger rooms and more facilities elsewhere at around the same price point. It's real value is intangible --- for me the place just worked emotively -- comfortable, bright, cheery, relaxed and friendly -- a nice place to come back to after traveling around gritty Bangkok.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Wrldtrvlr-asia
Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed only two nights here with a group of friends. All of us were given extremely spacious rooms, with great kitchenette facilities and a small balcony.

The location is okay, abit far from the main road but they do provide you with a tuktuk, to get to the main road which has busses/train services.

Communication can be abit of a challenge as not all the stuff can speak english but they were helpful and extremely friendly - even helped us to order home delivery from the local pizzahut/kfc!

Would definatley stay here again

• Stayed: July 2012