“Ok but could do better”

iCheck inn Residences Sukhumvit 20
Ranked #536 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights , on arival shown to room you notice scuffs on walls and furniture , rooms tired, on the floor big gaps between the wood floor and tiles leaving a space for dirt and bits of god knows what ,bad sleep both nights because of card reader for electric kept switching off electric so aircon kept going off Had to get out of bed and take card out and put back in reader , bit of a dodgy position far down soi20 , you are always looking over your back when going down the side Soi to the privacy , saw two taxi drivers having wees at two different times , I'd rather stay at the best western on soi20 for about 20% more, if budget is very tite ok if not go elsewhere

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed 20 March 2013

this hotel is for those who are low on budget or who dont want to spend on big hotels.. this is a small hotel in a good locality... comfortable rooms, very friendly staff, the girl at the reception was so friendly that she even helped us with all the local tour and told us where we will get cheap souveniers.. wud like to stay again here..

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2013

After spending our first night on the Koh San Road in a dingy room, we wanted to escape the craziness and noise of the area and find somewhere peaceful to end our Asia experience. My partner and I found the Privacy Suites online, and decided to pay the larger price for somewhere nice to stay. It was a lovely change, and walking into the aircon room after the heat of Bangkok was pleasant. The reception staff were friendly throughout and the room was clean and modern with all the facilities you could need. The bathroom was nice too, although we did have a bit of a problem with our hot water heater - although in the March weather that didn't matter too much! The rooftop pool was an added bonus and very quiet with nice views. You can also get a shuttle tuk-tuk to the main street, but we didnt think the walk was that far. Overall a pleasant place to stay, near the shopping malls, but quite far away from the Grand Palace and nightlife. Also the taxis along the main road tend to overcharge and refuse to use meters!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hayley S
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Trip advisors point system does not always allow to describe the fine details which can make a place become "poor" or "average". In this case, my rating is as in the header. At first, I thought to hammer them for their sloppiness in not providing really clean rooms (including bathrooms). Or for the lousy breakfast, the horrible aircond, the misleading word "suites", the lazy tuk tuk driver... But when I booked I had a choice and so I also blame myself for falling into the trap laid out in the form of trompe l'oeil photos on their web-site and the usual overselling vocabulary. I will not stay at this establishment again MAINLY because of it's location. If this would be a hidden gem, I would not mind the grueling walks from the BTS station after a day of shopping. But then, the mix of quality, price and location make me look for other options which suit me better.
PS: I don't understand how some fellow travellers write "great service" (what service?) and I would be curious to know what it takes to achieve this state of mind.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Fuzzyguy
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stay this hotel on February 21 for 2 rooms. The rooms are clean and convenient. But shower curtain has a fungus.

P.S. please do not request for morning call because you will not receive that service. Our flight time is 7:00 a.m. so we must check out at 4:00 am. and request for morning call at 3:30. Good luck we wake up at 3:15. We didn't received any call both 2 rooms.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2013

After having my wallet stolen in Cambodia I was relying on using my mates account and getting cash transferred to it, When he went back home and I still didn't have a flight home after 10 weeks of backpacking I had to find somewhere that could be pre-paid while I frantically searched for a firm that I could fly back to the UK with without presenting my card at check-in.

Thankfully the Privacy Suites allowed me to pre pay and this was the reason I chose it. I got upgraded to a suite free of charge on check-in and the woman at the desk was great with me. I can imagine a 6ft 2 lad with 10 weeks worth of hair growth (due to not trusting a thai barber....never trust one believe me I have seen the results) a raggy beard and a dusty old backpack is the most welcome in a property like this but I wasn't judged and treated great. After a few days in some dingy guest house in Koh San road I felt like the King.

Roof top pool was quality, room was clean, spacious and had everything I needed. Was the first week of the Premier League and the room had the TV channel so I was in my element. Absolutely skint, couldn't get any money out so cabinned up in this place with pre paid takeaways and English football. What more coul I want? Bathroom was spacious, clean and very modern.

Only downside was location. if you can't get the golf buggy or your walking back it is an absolute trek down that Soi.

Room Tip: Ground floor suite where I was upgraded has an outdoor bath with plastic over roof. When the rain co...