“Fantastic value”

Himalaya Residence
Himalaya Residence
Ranked #346 of 756 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

This is a tough walk from the sky train but worth the effort. Twin room great beds, cold beer on arrival, bathroom basic but clean and effective, hot shower with pressure. Air can is a great fan but no cold air. We are returning next week and would consider staying here though the 15 min walk with gear is difficult.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

I wanted to give this place more stars but it would be dishonest. I stayed 3 nights and spent a long time trying to find somewhere else in the vicinity for a similar price and there was nothing as good or better for the 800 Bhat I paid.

The staff took a while to warm up (I was excited to stay in a Nepali place because I speak the language, they did not share my enthusiasm initially) but they are nice people, we did get chatting in the end. They are still learning the ropes I think.

Pros:
I think the location is good, but I enjoy walking. You can walk to the sky train on Sukhumvit or in the other direction to the canal to catch a boat to the centre. Probably 10mins walk to either. I felt safe walking there, You can walk to the park on Sukhumvit (or run there and then join in one of the many exercise opportunities on offer there). There is a bike shop not far away and a bicycle would make getting around so easy. Don't know if that shop rents or sells though.

It's away from the main thoroughfares so is quiet. It is set in a little yard, which has potential to be an amazing oasis (not quite realised yet), you can eat outside.

Wifi in lobby and room included.
Breakfast (egg, bread, piece of fruit and Nepali tea or coffee) included

Aircon and fan and TV

Cons:
I had to move rooms when I arrived as the room smelt so bad I felt nauseous, it was super musty, at the top of a building down the lane, needed the windows kept open for a few days. The staff were obviously not overly happy about this but they did move me to a less smelly room.

No hot water, not such an issue when it's 33C outside, also shower pressure was very poor. One day there was no water in the bathroom. I asked for a bucket but there was some disbelief about the lack of water so it was not very
forthcoming. So it took about an hour to get enough water to wash. So bath time was a bit of a chore.

Laundry took 2 days, I ended up washing clothes myself because I ran out of clean ones waiting for
the staff to wash them.

Other comments:
There is a restaurant which restaurant customers seemed happy with. I ordered vegetable thukpa (Tibetan noodle soup) which was unpleasant and unauthentic (udon noodle, kimchi and chilli, chilli, chilli) but if you give that a miss I'm sure you'll find some tasty curry.

I took the wrong street home one day and ended up on the soi 33 I think, full of massage parlours which offer more than massage. Not my cup of tea. But apart from that, the neighbourhood is nice, quite upmarket.

I looked at a lot of other places and few in the area compete with
this one on price.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Aotar
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed at the dorm room with 6 beds, nothing special but it was clean and aircon worked perfectly...the only down side was the bed, matrass was so tough, almost felt like i was sleeping on the floor :p
The owner was very nice and helpful...all other staffs were also nice...good value for the money :))

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mayaku
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This is my first trip to Bangkok and to attend a Thai cooking course in nearby culinary school. Since I took the last flight out of Manila, I arrived late at the hostel but the owner was very nice and instead of asking for documents, he asked one of his staff to bring my bags into my room so I can rest and we can transact business in the morning. The hostel is in a compound with 2 gates facing another street. The room that I was given was BIG for a single occupant. It is very basic with Nepalese trimmings and decor. It has AC and a fan, hot and cold shower, mini fridge with bottled water provided. There's a TV although it has very limited channels (NHK, German, French, Lotus Macau, AsiaNews, and 2 local channels). The room has shiny wooden floor and cleaned everyday. A comfortable queen size bed is provided and 2 fluffly pillows. Towels are changed everyday, too. The staff are very friendly and they really make your stay truly relaxing and comfortable. The premise is very secured and the food is great. They got a restaurant which serves Nepalese and Tibetian cuisine. Try their Honey Lime Smoothie. It's really refreshing. I stayed here for 4 days and 3 nights and had a peaceful sleep except for the last night when a guest at the room next door kept banging the door everytime somebody is going inside or outside its room but other than that, everything was fine. If you're staying out late at night, better let the staff know you're coming home late and tell the taxi driver to pull up close to the gate so the security guard would know someone's at the gate. Or better yet, have the staff write down the hostel's phone number and just in case there's no one to open the gate for you when you arrive, call up the owner so he can open the gate for you. I arrived one time at 5am and was about to climb the gate when there was no one who can hear me knocking the lock. Luckily, my friend who was with me called up the hostel owner and in a few minutes, a sleepy guard came rushing to open up the gate.
Over-all, Himalayan Residence is the only good thing that I like in Bangkok. But for Bangkok in general ? It's another (frustrating) story :-(

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank marialorna
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Himalaya residence is well priced for Bangkok. It's in a good spot, not too far out but still near stuff and a small walk away from the sky train. The room's are okay nothing amazing but nice and clean. The real winning part for this place is the staff, they are all lovely. The service was amazing. It's why we will come back our next trip. It also has a great restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rochele d
Reviewed 21 February 2012

A very welcoming hotel, very basic rooms although with an Nepalese style atmospheric restaurant. I booked in twice so saw two different rooms. One was very basic but a phone and good AC, clean but had a hostel style to it, the other was a bit better but still basic.
Welcoming staff means a lot !!

Room Tip: Book well in advance, this place is cheap and often booked up.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank spratjack
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This is a super place primarily due to the staff and owner. Great people and extremely helpful. Which is quite unlike what you will expect throughout the city of Bangkok. It is not an upmarket hotel, but a very very good Hostel. The rooms are very big, the beds the same queen size. Ensuite shower toilet average quality for Bangkok. But unlike some hotels these facilities were clean. Room comes with TV, large Fridge two bottle of complimentary water per day. And throughout the building free wifi.

The restaurant is of top of the scale quality both for the food and for the price, He doesnt charge over the top for the tourist by means of beer and food. good value to be gotten here.

The man in charge is a total gent. so helpful and nice. His night security guard the same. always with a large helpful smile. The two ladies working during the day were really nice to us, my brother and I. so overall i would go for this hotel again over another hotel in bangkok, i have tried a couple. its value for money we got per night for around 20 euro.

Room Tip: ask for one with a balcany
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends