Lub d Bangkok Siam
US$67
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
1,092 results
All reviewsnational stadiumdouble deluxeladies dormshared bathroommixed dormdorm roombts stationwalking distance to mbksoap and shampootravel deskbig shoppingcommon areaskhao san roadno liftgreat facilitieslocation is greateasy access
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Spent four nights at LubD at the end of my SE Asia holiday. The rooms are thoroughly clean and only hold four people, so there's minimum chance of being stuck with someone annoying (snoring, sleeptalking, calling home in the middle of the night). The staff are awesome and very helpful, they'll invite you to join them for a chat. Try the snake wine with them, it's a taste of Bangkok you won't forget.
The amenities are up to hotel standard, spotless toilets and showers and instant hot water. The tv room is comfy and there's at least a hundred dvds plus cable. The breakfast they offer is healthy and will set you back about $2. The wi-fi was available everywhere I took my phone and they have pc computers to.
It was great and if I tour Thailand it's where I'll start.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My friend and I arrived on January 13th, the first day of the "Bangkok Shutdown." Lub D (which is super easy to get to, just down the steps from the subway stop of National Stadium and you're at Lub D's front door) is no doubt in the center of one of several protest areas. Someone not used to something like this may be put off or even frightened.

My friend and I were exhilarated and found it an exciting way to enter into a city for the first time. You may hear "protest" and "shutdown" and picture mobs of angry people with signs. In reality, the atmosphere was almost celebratory- singing, smiling, excitement, cheering, lots of red, white, and blue whistles, hats, shirts, flags, bows. The street in front of the hotel is lined with vendors as well as people camped out in tents and on mats on the street itself.

The hotel posts signs informing visitors that they must travel with caution and that the situation could become volatile. This is true, and Lub D shows responsibility by informing guests of the situation. I'm also not naive. Having spent time in Haiti during the military coup in 1991, I understand how dangerous political situations can be. But I feel it necessary to report to others who may be thinking of visiting here that I felt incredibly safe and enjoyed spending time with people on the streets.

Take the Sky Train just a stop or two and you wouldn't know protests were happening at all. The areas around the Grand Palace were the same. So, if you want to stay away from any activity, consider that. But I'm glad I stayed at Lub D.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Rooms are really clean, as were the bathrooms. In fact, the shower/bathroom area was so spacious and clean I almost didn't mind not having my own personal one! Lockers are provided in the room (you can buy a lock at 7/11 for nothing at all) and larger bags can be kept with the staff.

Granted the noise level outside had increased when we stayed on our way out of Thailand on the 29th. Bring earplugs and ask for a room towards the back. Sounds of whistles and protest speeches/music are evident until about 11 pm, then it dies down and picks back up around 7 am.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bridget M
Reviewed 26 January 2014

although the hostel (and it's chain) is a fine establishment, the siam branch is unfortunately located in a square where major protests are going on. there have been shootings recently and it is not recommended that you go out after 8pm. in their defense the staff are honest about the situation and there are warning signs posted on the doors. the proximity (literally 5 m) of the protests are very scary. not a recommended location during the lead up to the election- we bailed on our booking as the area was so confronting. also due to the protests there is no road access, cab drivers will not (cannot) go there, so going out, or getting the airport requires a lot of walking and public transport navigation.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Lub_d, Manager at Lub d Bangkok Siam, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear wenwenshimshim:

We are sorry that you felt you had to cancel your trip. Our other guests at Siam felt perfectly safe. And were. Hope you will stay with us in the future.

Friendly regards,

Lub d Management

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed twice in that hostel and only because of the location as I am familiar with Siam Square area from my previous visit to Bangkok!

The hostel is next to the popular shopping mall, MBK, and right next to the skytrain (BTS) National Stadium Station

it's SUPER clean actually it's one of the cleanest hostel I've been to, they make up the room and the bed everyday and the bathroom is spotlessly clean which is great

The staff are helpful and polite but not friendly and one of them gave me wrong information regarding going to the airport

I find it very depressing place and it's hard to meet other travelers as most of the guests are kept to themselves

They provide breakfast for 80 baht

I paid 600 baht per night which is expensive according to Bangkok standards

I don't know if I'd like to stay there again next time I visit Bangkok

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank lawyergirl2013
Reviewed 21 January 2014

If you want to stay in a clean, comfy hostel and meet lots of people this place is bomb. The bathrooms are amazing, and the people even better. Location is as good as it could be I suppose. recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends