“An oasis.........” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #165 of 845 Hotels in Bangkok
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“An oasis.........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

After hunting for firstly a resaonable price and secondly a room for four, we stumbled apon this little gem.

Great price, family rooms consisit of a large double/king, and a set of bunks. This along with a playstation, with it's own tv screen, is awesome.

The pool is great, with a shallow one for the littler kids to play in.

Location is great, a short walk to the cross river ferry to a pier for either a public or a tourist boat. We did tourist one way and public back. Both fun.

The shuttle to the BTS is every 1/2 hour.

It really made our stay in BKK that much more enjoyable.....

An early check in for 700BHT was a relief after arriving at 0730hrs.

Would stay there again, with or without kids.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TJaroonteeravanitch, Manager at ibis Bangkok Riverside, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you for sharing your wonderful ibis experience!

It is great to read that you liked ibis Bangkok Riverside and that you had a great experience with our hotel, services, facilities and the value for money. We will of course pass your compliments to our team.

See you soon at ibis Bangkok Riverside or at any of ibis hotels in Thailand!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The hotel is located right next to the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok (Chareon Nakorn 17), the locals call it Fung Thon (Thonburi Side - across the river) and the inner Bangkok is called Fung Phra Nakorn (Side). It offres a very good views both daytime and after dusk.

Checking in and checking out were a breeze with polite staff at the front counter. The first floor area is bright and spacious. There are two elevators for guests, both functioning and well maintained allowing fast operates, going up and going down. Heads up, this hotel welcomes pets, and I saw a Lab mix checked in as well. She was really, really cute.

The room is like other Ibis hotels I have previously stayed before in this city (Nana Soi 4 on Sukhumvit Road and in Soi Ngarm Duplee on Sathorn Road) but a little bit more space. My room was a partial river view facing the swimming pool (can upgrade to the full river view with a fee). Booked my room with a great Accor promotion which was reasonably priced for a room only deal. Wi-fi with a fee but free of charge if you use it in the lobby area.

The hotel provides free scheduled shuttle to the BTS Station (Sky Train) (Krungthonburi Station). You can obtain the timetable from the front desk. This station is about 15 minutes on foot from the hotel but I don't recommend to do so at night for your own safety (the area is very quiet and quite isolated in the late evening).

Alternatively, I prefer walking to the Taksin Pier which is a good five - minute walk (Chareon Nakorn 15) to catch a ferry. The fare is just 3.50 baht (1 USD is 30 THB approximately) one way. It will drop you off at the Shangri - La Hotel (Sathorn) Pier which is so conveniently connected to another BTS Station across the river (Saphan Taksin Station).

And to point something out, I would like to mention that the shuttle drivers were very polite and very helpful. On my way back to the airport, since I traveled light enough and I had an afternoon flight so I took the shuttle to the BTS Station to catch the Airport Link at Phraya Thai Interchange Station. The Express Line (non stop) and the City Line (7 stops), the ticket is 90 and 45 baht one way, respectively.

To sum it up, for a 3 - night stay, it was a pleasant experience. The housekeeping team was superb and amazingly nice. The front desk staff, the shuttle drivers did their jobs as one could expect with smile, politeness and hospitality which made my stay worthwhile.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for you wonderful comments on our TripAdvisor profile! Your review is very useful for our guests who are going to stay with us :)

We appreciate that you had a pleasant and memorable stay with us. We thank you for your compliments to our staff, services, location and reasonable price. We will surely share your comments with our team for encouragement.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at ibis Bangkok Riverside and any ibis hotels in Thailand :)
Chapala, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I arrived yesterday afternoon at the Ibis Riverside. I selected this particular hotel based on recommendations on TA.

The hotel itself is very nice, but I find the location sadly lacking. There is almost nothing, i.e. restaurants, small shops, etc, within walking distance except for a 7-11 about a block away. This means you have to either eat at the hotel or bring food back with you when you go out. It also means that once you are back at the hotel, there is little to do other than sit out by the pool or stay in your room.

The room itself is great, the largest I have ever seen in an Ibis (and I usually stayed at Ibis hotels in Germany). I am in a room with one double bed, which is very comfortable. I have noticed that the mattresses at this Ibis and the one in Singapore on Bencoolen have a different type of mattress than the Ibis hotels in Germany. Here the mattresses are apparently stuffed with cotton, while in Germany they have firm solid foam mattresses. The bathroom is your standard Ibis bathroom with a good shower stall and nice lavatory and toilet. The toilet has a bidet attachment, which I haven't seen before (the ones in Germany do not have this).

The room also has an electric kettle for making instant coffee and tea; coffee, tea bags, sugar and cream are provided, as are cups and spoons. Fortunately, I brought my small coffee pot so I can make regular coffee, as I detest instant. It also has a small under-the-counter refrigerator, which is very handy for keeping bottled water or other drinks cold. The TV has numerous channels in English and other languages, although I find the times of programming to be confusing.

When I arrived, I was extremely hungry since I had been traveling all day and had what was left of the luncheon buffet in the restaurant. Many dishes were no longer available and much of what there was left was cold. The roast pork with red wine sauce was well-cooked, but bland and the fish was also bland. The noodles were very good with a combination of fish sauce, soy sauce and crushed red pepper. The dim sum offerings were, for the most part, good, but cold. Later, in the eveninjg just before the restaurant closed, I returned and had a hamburger and french fries which I took to my room to eat. The hamburger patty was large and very good; the bun was fresh. The french fries were OK, but were cold when I got them. Overall, the restaurant is pretty good, but not outstanding. The view of the river and the boats going by is nice.

There is a nice pool and also an area for massages close to the pool.

\The bad: I have never seen a hotel so totally unfriendly to smokers. The restaurant has both a covered eating area outside and an uncovered eating area outside. Both are non-smokikng even the uncovered eating area, which for me is undesirable. I find this totally ludicrous since the smoking area with some low tables and chairs is only about 2 m away from the tables at the end of the restaurant. I do not normally eat in restaurants that do not have smoking areas provided. Unfortunately, here, because of the location and no other choices in the immediate area, there was nothing else available so I ate there.

After a lengthy, expensive phone call from my home in Mexico to the hotel booking service office in London, the booking service confirmed that the hotel has smoking rooms so I booked a smoking room. This preference is written on my reservation confirmation. When I got up to the room, there were no ashtrays, which tend to indicate that it is not a smoking room. Fortunately, I have some small plastic ashtrays I carry with me on trips so all was not lost.

Overall, I would not recommend this Ibis to anyone who likes to go out and about from the hotel since it's rather isolated. And smokers should definitely avoid this hotel. If I were staying longer than the 3 nights I booked, I would change to a different hotel. I will tolerate it for 3 nights, but wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a river view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank your for your valuable comments on our TripAdvisor profile!

At ibis Bangkok Riverside, we provide our guests with all the necessary facilities and services at great value for money. The location is outstanding with great surroundings and it is also convenient for travelling by our complimentary shuttle service to skytrain (Krung Thonburi Station).

We thank you for your comment on our food and we will improve this to provide an even better service to our guests.

As our hotel in non-smoking hotel, we do not provide the ashtray in room. But we provide a smoking area outside of hotel lobby.

We look forward to welcoming you again!
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

My fiancee and I stayed at the Ibis for 3 nights. We loved it. It was clean, the staff were friendly, the design was nice, the pool and outside view were wonderful, it's a good location. It's got everything you need in a hotel, nothing more, nothing less. I see that as making a great value.

It's not in walking distance to much in Bangkok, but I found that of most places. You can walk to the other side of the river where you can take the water taxi or subway, and metered taxis to most anywhere in Bangkok are less than $2.

There are a couple of nice restaurants within walking distance, both fancy and casual. And the hotel breakfast was pretty good too.

Room Tip: We had a river view room. I thought it was worth it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jetsettermcc
TJaroonteeravanitch, Manager at ibis Bangkok Riverside, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
We thank you for your compliments on our hotel and for bringing attention on our location, nice scenery, friendly staff and great value for money.

We agree that ibis Bangkok Riverside is a nice place to relax and to enjoy Bangkok's main attractions and we would be very gald to see you again!

We look forward to welcoming you at our hotel or in any of ibis hotels in Thailand!

Best regards,