“Good budget hotel”

Ranked #462 of 641 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Good budget hotel”
Reviewed 16 January 2013

My friend & I stayed in this hotel during December for 2 nights. Since it's just our shopping trip, we looked for a budget hotel. The room was good and very clean, which was our main concern. The location is pretty good, we can easily get public transportation to the downtown area. The hotel staffs were helpful and service minded. We will think of this hotel once we have another shopping trip in BKK next time.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nadya P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Chilli Bangkok is a place to stay for a night if you need to be in this part of Bangkok. This assumes that you don't mind the absolute simplest and smallest room imaginable.
I didn't mind the dark alley so much, having noticed that the locals seemed used to farangs walking by.
I didn't really mind the insecticide smell so much. It made me hope that I would have a bugless sleep, and I did.
There weren't so many other people, so things were mostly quiet. This being said, the door/walls are paper thin. I could hear every footstep, every word or every conversation.
The two guys who run the place are nice and friendly enough.
The beer was cheap and cold.
I guess the place was just depressing. Kinda dark and urban in a Chungking Mansions kinda way. I stayed too long. My room was never cleaned. Same sheets and towel everyday.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Pros: friendly staff and overall quite clean.
The location proved to be quite great and a relief to be far away from the bro hell that is khao San road. It is a short walk to the train station, metro, boat and china town and had quite a lot of amazing hidden local street food close by ( just go for a walk and there is always something amazing to shove in your mouth!)
Great wifi
Pretty comfy big bed
Good amenities ( laundry, computers, free coffee)

Cons: paper thin walls. Had a hard time getting to sleep due to bratty drunk girls literally screaming at their mother over Skype.
Every time we used the shower, a super strong sewage smell would fill the room.
Also the plugs are super duper high up for some reason!

Not bad for a night, but our 4 nights were maybe a bit too long at the chilli.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Goonarm
Usti nad Labem, Czech Republic
Reviewed 8 January 2013

small hotel in calm area, friendly and helpful staff, clean and new room, very good wifi conection, there is good access area for subway about 5 min. by walk, river taxi less then 5 min by walk, train station 5 min by walk

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marek_Delusso
San Lorenzo, California
Reviewed 6 January 2013

There are a few good points about this place to write about. Let’s say, the bad far outweighs the good.

Here's the good:

1. Clean room, for a very affordable price. The end.

A string of bad things comes to mind when I think about Chilli Bangkok:

1. They are unorganized.

When I first showed up, the hotel manager couldn't find my reservations that I had made online, initially.

2. Small rooms, and thin walls.

You can literally hear ever conversation going on the other side of the four walls, some pleasant and some not so pleasant.

One night I can hear an older drunken expat that seems to hang around or live in this facility, use profanity towards another traveler who was a guest at this hotel, over and over and over. Let’s say I was in fear of my life, and couldn't sleep well that night.

3. Dishonest hotel managers.

I originally paid to stay eight straight nights at this hotel, but decided to change my plans and head over to Siem Reap for a few days. I received a refund for four nights, but kept reservations for the last two nights I had in Bangkok (that were already paid for), for after my return from Siem Reap.

When I finally did return, and was waiting to check into my already paid room, the managers told me that the hotel was full. I reminded them that I already had rooms reserved for that night, and the next, and that I had already paid for those two nights. This is when I wished that I asked for a receipt.

Then they (yes there are two owners/managers) stared at each other with a look of confusion, and said, "Okay, okay, come back in 30 minutes and well have a room available for you. We have to clean it."

I agreed, and said that this was fine. I came back later, and one of the managers asked that I pay for the two nights stay. I reminded him, that we have talked about this in detail what days I was getting refunded for, and that I was keeping the last two nights, which was already paid for, and that I shouldn't have to pay for it again.

Long story short, I ended up leaving the place, and walked a couple of blocks and found a much nicer place to stay in. Thank goodness.

The message here, is stay away, there are much better budget hotels nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We had just arrived at the train station in Bangkok, and of course we went to the tourist trap number 1 and booked the hotel through an agent at the train station. We saw a brochure at the hotel that showed a clean hotel with a modern twist and lay at a major road. So that we payed an excessive price is fully our fault, but ...
The hotel was on a back street to an alley and not a hotel but a guest house. The beautiful view from the patio that appeared on the folder does not exist at all (it has to be chilli that has made the folder,and thats just rude) it was full of trash cans outside the guest house, did not feel quite ok. The response we received at the reception was very good, for a start. We got the key and went up to the room, we opened the door and the first thing we saw was a cockroach, although the room stank of insect spray, the room was very small and the ac did not work. We decided to leave the hotel that evening and the response this time was not nearly as nice, even though we were clear that we did not want any money back. If u are clear that this is a guest house and not a hotel that the brochure showed maybe u will find this place ok. But despite the brief moment we were there we still ended up with cockroaches in one of our bags.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Clean place with very kind and helpful staff. Location is pretty good - only walking distance from Chinatown and the train station. Free coffee was available every morning.

Only downside - rooms are tiny and had no toiletries.

• Stayed August 2012