“clean, but really small rooms” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chilli Bangkok Hotel

Chilli Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #441 of 606 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Munich, Germany
“clean, but really small rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

The Chilli Hotel is just a 10 minute walk from Hua Lamphong (central station) in a small lane, a bit hidden, but there's a sign on the main street. Getting to popular places like the grand palace is easy, as the Chao Phraya expressboat ferry is just a block away. It's one of the fastest way of transportation as you pass the traffic jams.

When I arrived at the Chilli, a nice guy greeted me and handed me the room key.

My single-room (No. 306) was really small. It's basically a bed and a bathroom, so almost no space to store the backpack. At least it had a working AC. Like other reviews mentioned, the power outlet is located on top of the wall, so quite difficult to reach. Just ask the guy at the reception, he will lend you an extension cable.

The hotel is more like a hostel, so there's free coffee in the morning, safes (bring your padlock), free WIFI and laundry facilities.

Stay here, if you need to get to the central station early in the morning or arrive there late.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Difficult to find from airport, taxi didn't know where it was. Booked through agoda, contact number for hostel incorrect so taxi could not call for directions. Difficult for them to find booking at first, no particular welcome and staff seemed ambivalent about us. Room was very small with adjoining bathroom. No sheet to sleep but instead they give you a drying towel material instead. AC ok and wifi average. Clean rooms and bathroom. Average stay, nothing to write home about. Very thin walls!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

This hostel is awful. Horrible service and mean staff. When I asked the one woman if I could lock up my passport and some stuff she told me it would be fine in my room since I have a single room. At that point I just took it all with me for the day because I didn't trust her now that she knew I had a bunch of valuables.
I slept one hour because of obnoxious men in the lobby area who yelled until morning, and the place is loud in general. Not a place i'd want to hang out. Horrible location for exploring bangkok.
Room sucked. I'm short and still had to sit on toilet sideways because it was so close to the wall my knees hit. "Window" faced into reception so it was loud and I had to just keep the shade down. Shower floods entire room.
JUST GO ELSEWHERE. DON'T GIVE THIS PLACE YOUR MONEY.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank courtney_marie88

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

My girlfriend and i stayed here at the start of our month in Thailand, The man on the front desk speaks a small amount of English but always went out of his to help us regardless.
The hotel is in a nice location, not central but good if you want to see a bit more of real bangkok. All the locals were friendly towards us and would laugh when we rolled in at 6am stumbling around.
The rooms themselves are clean, very small but basic, perfect for backpackers. Very very cheap, would recommend to anybody!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hannah S
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Location not good at all. Atleast 1.5 km from nearest station, more than 8-10 km from all happening places in Bangkok. Had problem to find out the place even not many tuk tuk driver knew. Infra not good. No window in any room and suffocating. But good thing about this place is people working there. I had booking in a dorm, since all dorm were full so got a single room. Met many nice people there. May be next time stay in any hostel in Khao San.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RanensTravelogue
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

The hotel wasn't difficult to find, the taxi driver dropped us off at the end of the road and we followed the hotel signs down the narrow alley.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable the bathroom was also clean so no complaints from the key requirements. But, the room smelt very strongly of the drains, a sweet sickly, pungent smell. Also the room was tiny, the double bed took up almost the entire room leaving only a small amount of floorspace from the door to the bed where the door to the en-suite is. We were here in the high season but the price of this room was the same as we had been paying for a huge room in the previous hotel, we didn't feel we were getting good value for money.

In addition there are no covers for the bed, just two large towels to wrap up in. Never seen that before! The power sockets are almost on the ceiling, I have a 2m USB cable and my phone just reached the top of my rucksack.

The location was good if you want to get to the train station, but not very good for sightseeing in Bangkok.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We only stayed here for one night so we didn't get too much of an idea of the dynamics of the place, e.g. the bar area, the night atmos, laundry etc etc. But, one night here after a very long time traveling was everything we needed. The rooms were air con'ed with a hot shower and the bedding was relatively clean and comfortable.

The location was reasonably close to china town, which was good for food and the like. More importantly for us it was very close to Hua Lam Pong train station, which, if you're traveling internally or heading to Poi Pet in Cambodia, as we were, it is very handy. I can't really comment more on this as we were there for such a small amount of time. I will say this though, the Chilli Bangkok IS down a small ally way/side street which other reviewers have mentioned, this is not uncommon in Asia and we never felt unsafe or threatened at this location or at any other similar guest houses off the beaten track.

My only complaint would be that the double room which my girlfriend and I had was pretty small, there was no room to store our bags without us tripping over them in the middle of the night. Also, the only socket in the room was at head height with nothing for you to rest your phone on whilst it's charging. Luckily, I had a cunning work around, had I not, I might have been a little pissed off. Go prepared. (I've found that poking the prongs of the plug through the top of an old sock and then putting the phone in the sock before plugging it in works quite well).

In short, great stop over crash pad. Clean, Safe with lovely friendly staff excellent value for money. Take your own map of Bangkok though, their's is rubbish. :P

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends