“Truly special experience!”

Ranked #110 of 10,686 Restaurants in Bangkok
Price range: US$7 - US$100
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bangkok, Thailand
“Truly special experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We went for a family birthday dinner in a group of six and had booked the chefs table which has a direct view into the kitchen. I was impressed the moment I sat down upon seeing all the chefs and "helpers" through the glass pane, there must have been at least 7 different nationalities in the kitchen!
We each chose one "tasting menu" set and all of us enjoyed the meal tremendously. I won't bother describing each dish or presentation as I would just say the same things as the other "rave" reviews. The service was super and they were accommodating to some changes to menu sets as per dietary constraints or preference.
I did not feel as if I were "eating Indian" or perhaps I should say Indian food I am familiar with. This, to me was more an epicurean journey that is Indian inspired. Many scents, aromas, and spices were familiar but the textures, presentations, and many of the ingredients were quite different making the whole experience truly unique!
Do I need to mention tasty? No! I'll just say that every course was fully consumed and we'll be back. This "indian restaurant in Bangkok" that won the award is indeed special.

Visited May 2014

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Houston
“One of the best meals on our Honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband and I did their tasting menu one of the nights of our honeymoon and it was honestly one of the best meals on our honeymoon - and ever. The chef greeted us and gave us 2 more courses once he learned it was our honeymoon.

• Visited June 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Progressive Dinner - All theatre and oohs and ahs...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

My last trip to Bangkok was all about eating. The top 50 restaurants in Asia list came out and my goal was to visit those in Bangkok. So getting a reservation at Gaggan was at the top of my "to do" list. Gaggan is down a small road and can be easily missed so ensure your taxi driver knows where he is going. We were taken upstairs in this former residence turned restaurant. It certainly gave more of the impression of visiting friends for dinner than going to a restaurant itself. I was under the impression that Gaggan would be more formal, but it turned out to be a very relaxed and informal atmosphere, this was perhaps due more to the staff, the younger seemed nervous and a little unsure but certainly always accommodating and wanting to ensure we had everything we needed. Now down to the food...we chose the 16 course progressive dinner. From memory just over B4000 and it was worth it. Very theatrical in its presentation...it was a good idea to keep the menu so that we could read what it was that we were eating. Wine and drinks are available to accompany your meal. I really enjoyed watching others reactions to the presentations...I am sure they were much like our own. But I must admit it was exhausting as well. Come in the right frame of mind to enjoy and embrace the experience. My only negative and this is not just for Gaggan but a number of high end restaurants was around the cleanliness. I personally cannot stand when you are sitting next to a wall that has the back splash of a previous patrons wine or meal on the wall. It just takes away from the experience. In particular if you are paying B12,000 for your meal and drinks for two.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank CleoBKK
London, United Kingdom
“OMG This is nearly the Best in Bangkok”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

After reading that Gaggan was within the Top 20 Restaurant in The World, I really had to go.
The restaurant is luxurious, amazingly appointed with large chairs and huge tables and the reception we got was amongst the most personal I ever encountered. Staff were so sweet, even thou they couldn't speak a word of English. The manager was discreet to the extreme; so discreet in fact that he didn't even talk to us for the entire evening.
We had to choose between 3 menus; all of which sounded wonderfully weird. The still water was the French Hepar. Rich in magnesium and impossible to drink because of its astringency. Yet a wonderful twist to good water.
We had a lot of little things to start with: chocolate with chilly, yogurt gel, rice packets of herbs, spice mousse on toast. All over worked and weirdly good.
The chicken tikka was soft and delicious, foie gras with raspberry was strange, Sea bass wasn't wild, truffle soup was watery and foamy with no taste of truffle other than from the oil covering it.
Overall, the best Indian I have ever been. For sure one of the best in the world.

1 Thank Alexis007
Hong Kong, China
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mediocre Testing Restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Semi interesting with low level service. Paper Napkin by the way last night and room temperature water since "sorry Sir tonight we run out of water". Months ago it was indeed interesting, then they change from the "A La Carte Menu" to Set Menu" and you can clearly tell it's all pre made. Surely very expensive (2 people one glass of average white wine is 80 Euros up to start). Service from average to poor. It used to be what reviews say… not any longer is. Do plan a second stop to another restaurant as GNTB_1 said!

• Visited May 2014